Why Empires ist NOT dead!

Discussion in 'General' started by Urknall, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Urknall

Urknall Member

Ok, to be sure... Empires is buggy and graphically outdated but the game is still amazing! For example, Natural Selection 2 is essentially (!) the same game type, but overall Empires is better.

A year ago I played the Mod "Fistful of Frags"... the situation was like Empires: Few server and no players. But TODAY the are a lot of servers AND players... the Empire community has round about 1500 members, Fistful of Frags 2000. (Did I mentioned, that its main developer R_Yell was part of the early Empire Dev-Team?)

In contrast to Fistful, Empires only had small and few updates. But in relation, I think, there are a lot people still playing this amazing mod, because it is a good mod! Hopefully you can build a better version for Half-Life 3.

It would be cool, if the community could start some events on the weekend...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

...wat?

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

So.. What I get out of it is...
    We should not release any updates. Then Empires will be popular.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Fistful of Frags is doing well? That's good to hear. Ryell abandoned it for a while, but I'm glad he decided to come back to it. It really is a great mod.

Empires is great, we're just at a plateau imo, and have been for a while. I think the reason things go slowly is just it needs a big huge push to get it on to that next ramp up, and the community need to be on board with that, too. Which I think is happening.

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Because nobody has done better than empires yet.

The best we got was Natural selection and Nuclear Dawn.
    And both of those just focus on one aspect of empires, and that is infantry combat.

The closest we got was that renegade remake, but there is no commanding at all.

Apparently nobody can assemble all 3 pieces of the tri-pire.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't get this part. Never played nuclear dawn but I feel like you missed the point of natural selections. It isn't just infantry combat, it is how it really has that asymmetrical balance where 1 side plays that traditional shooty part and the other has to play a sneaky spooky melee-fest, something empires doesn't have. Also NS oozes atmosphere, empires kinda doesn't really suck you into its world.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Sounds great but
    we're talking about empires right, not the amount of people who purchased an xbone?

8. BigTeef

You mean over powered giant aliens and there is no way to make a comeback when the enemy team has 5 ono's

Natural selection has always been unbalanced.

Don't give me that git gud bullshit, it suffers the same balancing empires has where every game is one-sided, and 1/5 matches are equal footing.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think it is more of that problem empires has too. Where it is easy to tell who will win in the first 5-10 minutes because of map control. That and I think it much easier to carry a team if your a competent alien compared to being a good marine. I haven't played in a year though, I'm sure things have changed a bit since then.

10. BigTeef

The aliens require no skill to play as, you hide and rush people.
    It is finding crawl spaces in-between cracks and camping a dark room.

The marines have to aim and have 360 awareness, the reason why its so broken is because one team requires a high skill cap and you wont see it competently except during clan matches, and even then the aliens are still over powered because they can exploit the living shit of the game's mechanics.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

savage and savage 2 are also examples of rtsfps.

12. BigTeef

Savage is a great.
    Its truly our brother, they got a small dedicated community and like 5 servers in total.

Somehow they manage better pops than us considering their dev team went moba and died.

13. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

We are stuck with the peak of 50 online players and an average of 20 players.

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Could you guys tell me how to un-hide all the servers from my server list? I think I must have messed with the settings and now I can only see like 5... and there's nobody on them.

15. 101010

101010 Member

Maybe they are playing an older version ......... Wouldn't that be amazing if we had 20 fully populated servers that we just didn't know about because they was all using older versions.

16. Urknall

Urknall Member

"But TODAY the are a lot of servers AND players...": I mean "Fistful of Frags", NOT Empires. Furthermore, the community members are based on steam groups, not on current "active" players.

17. flasche

lol steam groups, what do steamgroups matter if noone plays?

18. Neoony

Neoony Member

its pretty hard to get any friends to play empires as its "first impressions" are rather bad. I would say that only those that stay playing even after having bad first impressions will eventually find something they like about it.

19. Urknall

Urknall Member

Generally, there is a positive correlation between steam group members and active players.

20. flasche

empiricism is a bitch. given the pug groups alone we should have dozens of full servers ...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014