why does a standard cannon shoot farther than an artillery cannon?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jäger, Aug 30, 2008.

1. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

It doesn't make any difference because nobody wants to make a difference.
    That would be the common thought at this point.

2. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I think putting arty next to medium would actually make it used alot more because mediums share alot of tech with arties where heavys dont so much. so if your going down the heavy chassis chooseing between heavy and arty is generally always going to go to heavy which then you will get weapons for heavys, and to then get arty weapons simply takes to long to bother.

3. Jäger

Jäger Member

lol turrets have finite ranges they can shoot from. all cannons can shoot longer than these finite ranges. turrets are commonly used to defend bases and key points. now how does it make no difference to the game if you can chill out side of turret range and bombard enemy posistions with your cannons. defending early objectives from early enemy tanks is pointless because the ml turret will get maybe 1 missile out then the tank backs up and blows it up from outside it range.

normally this isnt a problem. because of the cost difference between tanks and turrets. however when a cheap lt with std cannons can blow up a lvl 3 turret outsie of its range . that causes a problem. in some instances its just good posistioning from the tanks perspective such as being higher up than the turrret but offten times its the obscene range that cannons have that causes it. that matters to the game.

when a tank with cannons can shoot an artillery tank. and blow it up quite fast from outside of the artillery tanks range that is an example too of the obscene range of cannon and matters to the game also.

i have to go write a paper for my bio class right now so i cant take the time to point out any more examples.

4. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Std missiles have much further range than std cannons, why don't you whine about that? As has previously been stated (and subsequently ignored) range is not the be all and end all of weapons, there are other points to conside to make it balanced. As it stands the standard cannon is fairly balanced, and it is meant to be able to kill turrets from outside their range, and is also meant to be able to kill arties if it can catch them. It's not like std cannons are the best weapons in the game otherwise no other cannons would get researched.

5. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

we should move away from the french useing a standard cannon and concentrate more on putting the howitzers next to the m1 abram.

6. Jäger

Jäger Member

lol you guys get hung up on the std cannon thing. i only use the std cannons in my example as they are the lowest cannon and thus have less factors on them making them the simplest to use in the analogy.

but this isnt even a balence issue thing. as yes i agree the weapons are for the most part balenced damage and explosion radius wise. this thread is basicly here to point out a logic flaw in the game world. ( here comes the its not meant to be realistic squaking allow me to quell it)

i know its not meant to be a clone of this world. but still you have to have some sort of support using what is would be realistic in warfare in whatever world this is set in. in other words internal coherency. and the fact remains that it is bad weapon system design ( and would be immediately rejected in any world) to have a mobile artillery unit that shoots shorter than weapons you already have. now i too see the argument of why artillery are still usefull but in all the ways you have stated that doesnt make them artillery tanks that makes them bunker buster tanks. if you are going to use the word artillery you have to use its definition (talking conotation here becuase the denotation is basicly big gun and thats most guns in empires so dont come back with a dictionary ) . if you want to have a tank that does what it does now name it something. giving all the tanks unique names would immediately remove all realism arguments and you guys would have your way. but seeing as i had to spell that out for you it probably wont happen.

the fact remains that it is a logical flaw that a weapon your army knows by default can shoot farther than a weapon your army has to research and discover. ( i find peoples biggest problem with accepting this is that they think in terms of what they see in the game. rather than the game world. ie. there is a bunch of scientists somewhere in your nation researching and inventing all these nice weapons and armor for you to use. and no scientist would design a weapon that is that behind the times for that late in the battle. so yes move them up to the medium tier that will help make the flaw in logic less noticeable and probably flow better.)

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

heres a little pincher. people make definitions what they are, each person has their own unique view on what something is and a general consensus makes for the general definition of the word. So if most people here view the artillery as just what it is in game, then the general consensus has just made that the definition of the word.

the arty is the arty.

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

guess what.... pistol outranged all of your STD cannons. i guess we should nerf that since it's range is so stupidly overpowered.

or perhaps, like the STD cannon, the pistol is mostly ineffective at long range. tough call.

artilliary should not be made at same level as mediums, though i did certainly think about that idea for a bit. the problem is that artilliary, like HE cannon, effectively removes infantry from the game. double std cannon arty are absolutely lethal vs infantry. i don't think it would be fair to bring this earlier in the game.

9. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Forgot about double standard. I've seen BE rush paper arties with those, ram them into med tanks and kill them in 2 shots. Scary those things are >_>

10. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

erm, the pistol is inacurate, the std cannon is pretty acurate, that's the difference

11. recon

recon SM Support Dev

A shotgun BE heavy can do a lot of damage on money.

12. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

uh
    not really
    pistol is more acurate, standard cannon is actually pretty inacurate, specially if you add the recoil in there

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  13. recon

recon SM Support Dev

The pistol is very accurate.

14. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

the pistol's acurate? i mean, when i use it i can't realy hit anything (but that could be because i use it as a "AAGH, NO MORE AMMOZ" weapon)

15. AzureDrake

AzureDrake Member

I have tried using regular cannons as arty and been attacked by this as well.

I can safely say that arty is way more effective. It simply does a lot more damage than any of the regular cannons, and the fire remains fairly accurate because there is no recoil.

I alone as commander was able to keep my base repaired when the other team was bombarding our buildings in cyclopean with HE I believe. Most of their shots were wildly inaccurate and hit the back wall, nowhere near our buildings. It was annoying, but that's about it. They didn't manage to take out a single building, and I was able to keep repairing while commanding.

It is kind of fun to do because, "OMG we're using regular cannons as artillery" and lol, but in all seriousness in my experience it is definitely less effective and no more than a minor annoyance to the other team.

On top of that arty has advantages in situations where there are really tall hills (slaughtered).

16. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

If Artillery was to be made more like real artillery, it would be too difficult to hit anything. Because very rarely does artillery actually see what its shooting at.
    When Firing real artillery you find out the distance, elevation and bearing of a target, then you choose a particular shell, adjust elevation, and bearing of your artillery piece and fire away.
    Creating this system in game would be rather difficult. Tho it would be lots of fun to be doing calculations on a piece of paper beside your computer while you get ready to fire, this is rather impractical.
    At this point the artillery might as well be a fixed emplacement.

All arguments aside, the Empires Artillery tank does exactly what you would expect it to do, high payload, and indirect fire. If fills that role very well, we could change the name to something else, since it isn't really artillery, but its really not necessary.