why does a standard cannon shoot farther than an artillery cannon?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jäger, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Jäger

Jäger Member

i just kinda want an explanation of how a standard cannon can shoot way farther than an artillery cannon if that is how they are intended to be.

if that is in fact not how it is intended to be then i would suggest adding a delay fuse to cannons and missiles ( granted missiles should still be able to fly for a while because they are missiles, but not all missiles are created equal ) that way you cant have a heavy tank with like a million of the standard equip on it engaging tanks that have much better technology from the same distance. they will have to move up to get hits thus putting their tank in danger and increasing the need to get more advanced weapon systems. putting more of an enphasis on research and diversity in your forces rather than get one thing and spam

2. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Maybe change cannons so you would hold the button to adjust the power of shots and the maximum is slightly lower than artilleries?

3. Jäger

Jäger Member

problem with a power bar is it adds another thing the driver has to look at and distracted drivers are not a good thing. and it lowers rate of fire alot.

delay fuses would keep everything the same no balence changes except that now everything has a fixed maximum range.

but im all for anything that fixes the problem

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Lighter shell, less explosive.

Also because projecting shells into low orbit is impossible in source.

5. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

you simply need the arc for the arty, if the arty was as strait shot as the rest the cannons there would be no need to get it, just to use cannons instead.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Dual HE heavy is better than arty on maps like money however, because you can blast them outside the range of arty.

7. Empty

Empty Member

Lol I remember using LTs to bombard the BE base on isle.

8. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah, isle and duststorm would be the main maps I'd suggest using it on.

You could also try cyclopean and mvalley but the structures and fog repsectively would probably make it difficult.

9. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Maybe there should be more inaccuracy for long range tank shooting... And can the tank even aim it's turret, that high of an angle?

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

A medium tank on top of the NF side of the Isle map sitting on a repair pad sideways can give a constant barrage to the BE base if they aim just slightly lower than the highest the cannon can aim.

Tanks have a much lower arc and much higher shell velocity than artillery, but do less damage. Artillery can do up to 200 damage a shot versus 80 damage a shot with HE on a tank. (dual small artillery). artillery is meant to finish the games in the same way nukes are. if they bunker in with walls and such, you get it and spam it. It will kill anything within a half mile of where it hits. Artillery is actually a little more efficient than nukes, even though the highest splash radius (ranged arty) is only half the splash radius of nukes.

11. Jäger

Jäger Member

but see the same damage can be equaled by cannons because of the higher rate of fire and the kick from the cannon ensures the shots are spread out equaling the splash.

i think artillery tanks should be what they are named, rather than just a high arcing cannon. with the range they have now you have to put the tank in a spot well within range of enemy forces. artillery should be a support weapon in the back of your attacking force that bombards the enemy. this would be already balanced in game because of their minimum range on the cannon being already pretty big and the fact that they cant move the turret seperately from the tank. so it should be the enemys job to find and take out your artillery emplacements not just fight them like regular tanks ( thus giving a job to infantry late game, on the attacking side and defending side of artillery they can move in with out being noticed by the artillery because of the high angle the cannons are at and they can defend artillery from infantry attacks. and providing a diversity in the weapons of war you have at your disposal as a commander and opening a whole new set of tactics and strategies.)

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Technically we could fake it (a lot of other games do this with various weapons -- Enemy Territory's mortars, say). You just have the projectile go all the way up to the top of the map; then, if it doesn't hit anything before it reaches the sky, it comes down someplace else calculated from the trajectory at which it was fired. (The calculations aren't really particularly hard.)

Not sure it's necessary or worthwhile, and it might require various changes to maps, but it is possible.

13. Empty

Empty Member

That would definitely make disappearing artillery fire syndrome less of a problem.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Thats the point. A weapon that cannot be countered is a pain. Artillery tanks are much more able to hit targets and not be blocked by walls, but because of this, it would suck if you could fire them from anywhere on the map. i dont' want to go back to 'artillery rulez teh world" games where you rush artillery and obliterate the other team.

15. Sanguis

Sanguis Member

Tank Cannons are seen when they come in whereas Arty cannon shells are like *super sneaky and blows itself up*. Also the Arty shells do mroe damage in a larger radius with a higher rate of fire (as I recall). Not to mention the heat of firing arty shells is really low isn't it? (nto sure on that).

You can get the same effect which is totally true. A duel HE heavy can fire two shtos that have the same explosion look as an arty shell ( I think). But rifles tend to fire the same way too butr they are different.

Point being, Arty does more damage fasterthen a duel HE heavy will. However I really wish that Arty tanks were easiar to control with betetr engines. I often times find that trying to backup and turn ever so slightly causes me to SPIN OUT AT 100 MILES AN HOUR GOING "OMG OMG OMG HEAVIES ARE CHASING ME ZOMG!". Or at last that Arty tanks could aim a little easier left to right.

16. Jäger

Jäger Member

im not saying anywhere on the map metal im just saying farther than a cannon can shoot. which either means put finite ranges on weaponry or make the artillery shoot farther. and the way cannons can shoot now finite ranges would be a much more balanced option.

also metal artillery is designed to be indirect fire from a farther away posistion. the way it is now you dont even need the artillery feedback skill because you can aim up shoot then look at where it hits. also no one in their right mind would rush only arty tanks. they have a high minimum range and can only shoot infront of them so you can easily get inside their range and destroy them. thats why they have those restrictions on them that is how you counter them.

really giving artillery more range would just give the commander more options for his army and more options means more strategy and less lawl lawl lawl spam dual rails (BE) and lawl lawl lawl spam missle frigate tanks (NF) . ( late game talk commencing now) you can have a mixture of arty tanks and heavy tanks to attack each giving support to the other ( the enemy has to get through your heavies to get to your artillery and your artillery is bombarding them making it easier for the heavies to kill them before they get to the artillery.)

basicly artillery may be able to kill a base sure but they cannot kill enemy tanks chasing them. so dont say they dont have a counter

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There's nothing wrong with the arty at the moment, why should it be reworked completely to make it 'more realistic' when empires is not about realism.

18. Jäger

Jäger Member

so you dont see a problem with a basic cannon going over twice as far as an artillery cannon.

19. Geese Howard

Geese Howard Member

There is, Arty is the only tank with no kick back(maybe lights, I dunno). With HE, Plasma, ect your cannon jumps a bit.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, because unless you have a more or less clear line of sight, you can't hit anythng with a standard cannon other than the skybox.

Artillery has indirect fire capability, standard cannons don't, so their range is limited by any obstacles in the way.

Cannons only outrange artillery on badly designed maps.