why do people not play empires?

Discussion in 'General' started by OuNin, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Explain in detail, how exactly VIPER is the last bastion of sanity.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Both choices are doomed to dissapoint anyway, Viper has Steve_UK and other retards on it, EPIC has douchebag elitist and is in Europe, but at least it has updating balance scripts so that the metagame isn't so narrow..

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Douchebag elitist?

What do you know about THAT?

I had an awesome round of shadows tonight (yes on EPIC server you whiny bunch) and even though it was decided 20 minutes before the end it was a hard fight to the end, so enjoyable.

Oh it was 15~v15~.

4. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I don't see how the server would change how people behave, if people are "Douchebag elitist" on EPIC, they would be the same on Viper.

If that would be true then this community would truly not have any hope. Seriously Viper is not good, Vicky tries to please people but ends up listening to the loud retards instead of the silent majority. Stock scripts, costum models, with some expection: shitty/ban-happy/immature admins, too strict rules, Steve_UK ugh there aren't many players I dislike more than him. Enough said.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah well, spike is permabannedo n VIPER and walks aorund sad, drunk, and he can't Empires anymore.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I didn't say everyone was a douchebag elitist, but there are usually those 3 or 4 players who find it necessary to shit talk about VIPER or American players in Allchat, what's the point it's just a game fuck why do they feel the need to provoke people. Nothing is worse than Steve_UK though.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I believe there are people much worse than Steve, but whats your bone with him?

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I must admit, it does bother me when people bitch about VIPER. I find myself PMing people just telling them to cut it out, I don't want the image of the server to be the place where people who are "bitter about VIPER" congregate. That shit isn't right. But the honest truth is, whereas VIPER has some assholes (like Steve_UK) who refuse to play on EPIC, EPIC has some really bitter players who refuse to play on VIPER, and automatically associate that with all American players. It's not right but it's our equivilent of the "asshole spectators" problem that VIPER has. But I'd rather try and calm the players down than join in the bitching.

Although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fairly upset that the scripts got pulled from VIPER before they could get properly developed. The same people who got them pulled, who removed my ability to really get regular feedback and improve them, are the same people who will bitch that the next version is unbalanced and blame it on the development team, and that makes me really, really sick. Because I know that will happen, and there is literally nothing I can do about it.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

people who use their first names in video games are ones to watch out for

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

Nobody even mentioned VIPER either, your information looks outdated.

11. Candles

I've always found that calling people on their bullshit until they just give up bitching works wonders if you have the patience for it. I can give you some of mine, I got loads of it.

12. Trickster

It's all very well calling them out on their bullshit, but it makes no difference to the end result. And I can't be in the server 24/7 to make sure they don't spread that bullshit, so it's pointless anyway.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Candles just volunteered to help you Trickster. What do we say to volunteers who require little or no management or power? We say yes.

Sorry Candles, Trickster slips sometimes.

Maybe it's true, maybe we do just need an anti-bs squad.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I have multiple bones to pick with him, I'll tell you one of them.

He somehow thinks that the words Command Vehicle can possibly have MCV as an acronym, and he's been saying that since he started playing. Actually I'll give a second reason - he uses the mic in game when he's got no business on it, which encourages attention whores to annoyingly fill the mic chat with their ego, the same way he does, fully blocking out any useful information like squad tactics and enemy rax placements.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  15. Trickster

Idk, I'm fucking ruined right now, maybe I can re-read when sober. Thank fuck for chrome spellcheck. But to me, he was offering patience, which I took as rhetoric. If he wants admin and a part in running the server, I'd give it him in a heartbeat. Candles is a bro, even if I have no idea where he appeared in this community from.

As for Steve and the others, my problem is just that they have no idea what they're actually talking about. I've sat in spec under an alias, and the kind of stuff they say regarding Empires, what's possible, the development, etc, is just so wrong. And the worst part? They know it. They're full aware that they're lying for the sake of getting an audience, and that's what really annoys me. They know the situation, but they choose to ignore it and do what they can to get attention. The comments in the "Empires is Dead!" steamgroup are enough to explain this. There's so much misinformation in there, so I actually took the opportunity to call one of them out on it over steam. He knew full well most of it wasn't true or applicable in any way, but that didn't stop him. And that's what bothers me. I don't see why they think it's good for the health of Empires as a whole to create such a negative atmosphere, just so they can get that attention. It's so fucking wrong, and that makes me genuinely sick.

16. Candles

It actually was rhetoric :3 I don't think I'd ever make a good admin, too much conflict of interest for my taste. There's the complicated dynamic between what is fun for one side ruining the game for the other side, a balancing act that I don't think I'd be cut out for.

Personally, I'm as much to blame for the "Empires is dead!" type of stuff as much as anyone else, but I always did it as a joking kind of thing, when the servers die down at night or when half the server quits during a map change.

To me, Empires is more of a sort of stasis. It's stabilizes every few months and oscillates, but it generally ends up back where it started. With the right attitude and a solid direction, it could grow strongly. However, if the players assume that devs are always doing other things and everyone treats everyone else as shit, Empires will die off.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  17. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

What we need as that new guy said is good admins who enforce discipline in favor of new players. We need active admins who want to do that. Epic has the rules but just utter dont care mentality on their bitter admins. Viper has active admins but they are a bunch of no brain retards that follow a complete bullshit policy made by the destroyer of empires, Vicki.

18. Candles

I take no position on the question of whether or not any given server has had a negative influence on Empires and it's playerbase for it is not my place to judge, but am I the only one here who sees that a server only has as much power as is given to it by the players by playing on it? I am not advocating the poaching of players by any means, but it's a simple fact that a majority of players will go to whichever server has more people playing on it; only a relatively small minority refuses to play on all but a single server. To that end, play on the server that you enjoy and people will join up. Despite people claiming various reasons why the Epic server can't be played on, sure enough it's more likely to be seeded in the morning for me than the Viper server is.

Considering the number of vets that claim to not play mainly because of the Viper server, there would be plenty enough to have smaller rounds with mostly vets on the Epic server and larger rounds with everyone else on the Viper server. It doesn't take a dedicated organizer or promoter to gather enough players to have a few raging matches, but simply good players with connections to other good players and a few hours to kill.

19. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Can someone please explain why we can't have a new American server?

20. Candles

Because no one is willing to shell out the money.