Why 5 months to V. 3?

Discussion in 'General' started by MajorTom, Oct 20, 2009.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in a company, being the guy that owns everything "makes" you able to enforce your dictatorial power

in a company where you are assigned by the board, you are elected democratically mostly (but the board isnt, because they technically "own" the company, they can be compared to the "citisens" of a country same as all the belgians together "own" belgium, and the belgian state just rules the country "in name of" the people, they might not agree directly with the majority but they where chosen by the people to lead the people whereas in a company the workers have no right to vote, because they can be compared to horces pulling carts, they make the farm work, get there life sustained by the farm but do not have a say in how the farm is run, ofcourse working people are not horses, and need more care then simple horses working on a farm, but that is only for the better, because people deserve that)

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

SMG2 is so shit in 2.24d that it's unusable.
    SMG1 is near the same. Damage buff and accuracy nerf.
    Rifle1s aren't much different. Damage buff, accuracy nerf.

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Democracy doesn't work in anything Empires related really, especially development. You only have to look at what would ever get changed if it was down to democratic vote (i.e. nothing), to understand this. Of course, that's not to say what we want to happen, happens...but if it's real bad it usually gets changed...eventually.

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

If everyone's gotta share a pool, it only takes one person pissing in it to ruin it for everyone.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I found a chocolate bar at the bottom of the pool! Who dropped it?

6. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Frankly, in game development period it doesn't work.

For one thing, the people who post on forums are not your entire audience. Self-selection ensures huge bias.

Secondly, the individual is not informed. There are many aspects of the game that can be perceived as imbalanced, but might be just fine because there's a built-in counter that no one knows how to use. With perfect knowledge from everyone balance could work, but we don't have that. The people with the best knowledge are the devs.

Sure there are fundamental problems that we can as a whole say need to be fixed, but running something from a democratic system will lead to too much clamor for different individual perceptions of what the game should be. Let the devs sort it all out and pick the best ideas that fit their idea of the game.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I read an interesting interview at RPS with the developer of Natural Selection. Especially on point is the part where he is asked what makes a mod successful:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/31/the-making-of-natural-selection/#more-20477

8. MajorTom

MajorTom Member

9. Tie-fighter

Tie-fighter Member

That's not chocolate....

I totally agree. Like I said in my other post http://forums.empiresmod.com/member.php?u=2422

10. bokan

bokan Member

I wasn't aware anything was stagnating. Is there a link to what needs to be done on the wiki somewhere? I think there's more to this community in terms of development power then is let on, but I always have this conception that there is some sort of super high calibre stuff going on in the inner circle of developers... or whatever hideous form Krenzo has now mutated into :D

11. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Are you implying that the Krenzo was never a real person but instead a symbol that is kept alive? It sounds like the plot of some scifi movie...

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Isn't it like...sort out current balance, add a fuckton of stuff to pimp out squads and the commander, redo the gui, add a few things to make infantry a little more autonomous of the commander in certain situations (e.g. can drop own refs), repairing the classes and rehauling the scout...then the big stuff like aircraft, tech tree rehauls, global domination plans, more gamer girls...

Looks like a lot :p

Now i'm scared :unsure:

13. Caelo

Caelo Member

Meh.. At least when you're dead people will still use your name ;)

14. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Redoing Gui is part of the big stuff, Ikalx. A much needed part :|

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

True...but it's a little more clear cut than rehauling the whole tech tree to about 2.5x the size, and balancing every item :p

They're really in no particular order, just that some things should come after the others.

16. arklansman

arklansman Member

It's the plot of Metal Gear Solid 4. >_>

17. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Suggested release plan:

Fix all the small bugs in current SVN version and release it end of January. It contains already many nice new features.
    Version number could be 2.3 because there were more changes then from 2.23 to 2.24.

Then release every month (if needed) a small update for bug fixes and balance issues.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

And by balance issues, you mean simply fixing the previous fucked up release, and bug fixing bugs brought in with the previous fucked up release. Keep doing until boredom ensues.

19. Demented

Demented Member

I want to know the plans of this Gui redo.
    Not just the 'safe for release because we already have screenshots of it' plans, but the plan plans that nobody talks about because there aren't any to talk about and you should just turn that car right around before someone gets hurt.

...Wait, I'm sorry, where was I?

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

No one is doing a GUI in the foreseeable future. I'll just say that to prevent devs repeating themselves.