Why 5 months to V. 3?

Discussion in 'General' started by MajorTom, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

So we can use an inferior shader to make ugly stuff look mildly less ugly and something that isn't the cause of lag at the moment will be fixed anyway. 2 years and nothing GAMEPLAY wise has been added. In fact, we've lost features in that department. That is why people are being pessimistic.

Where are the new and innovative research trees that make games way more dynamic?
    Where are even the most basic fixes, such as reviving into people and jeeps pushing heavys around?
    Where is the new HUD which would streamline so much?
    Where are passenger weapons on vehicles?
    How come aircraft development just ground to a halt the moment CB and Drag left?

I don't necessarily care about all those things listed above, but I sure as hell know people who do. This is why people are being pessimistic, even for as simple things as a lack of progress report. The only things we ever get is some model posts from megels, and occasional updates from devs dropping things in threads like this. Obviously us testers know more, but even then, it isn't great. For people without that access, then I don't even need to wonder why they're getting pessimistic.

2. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Serverside script support is pretty much done.
    Tf2 like push and clip is implemented
    Work in progress, that part of the code is quite messy.
    Work in progress, a lot code was done by mootant
    Because there are no models, its not very useful to test the code with flying jeeps and apcs, and there are bigger issues.

There is no reason to bitch and be pessimistic.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Parallax mapping is hardly groundbreaking, it's been in use for years.

Adding more bells and whistles to it isn't going to make it better, the game is fundamentally broken, play a few rounds in an everyday public server and see how many fuck up due to lack of commander, or stacks, or where half the team goes spec due to abysmal maps, or ends due to a shitty ninja after the game has gotten good, or turns into an artyfest.

You are completely failing to address the fundamental problems of the game, oh wow we have clientside missiles woop de fucking do, i'm sure we can all be in awe of them on the one in five games that actually turns out to be playable.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

in my personal opinion;
    post an updated post like this monthly, and a lot of the bitching will stop (even if its the same post as last month, so people still know exactly whats coming, and it will look less like a dead mod)

heck, this has been a problem for years now, and i suggested this time and time again, even suggested to take the job myself if needed! (its not that much of a chore, just know some people skills and the likes)

5. Brutos

Thats whats the blog is supposed to be.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

devs use the blog as personal showoff forums afaik

thats great!, it brings developers and players closer together
    good examples of this are the natural selection videoblogs etc (a bit more organised, but works just the same)

but it does not fit the role of bringing that stuff together to actually see what is going on in the mindset of the developers, and where they want to go with this game and it certainly does not advertise the mod itself atm (because people bitch, and new people actually read that stuff... you know

basically, we need a guy like drummerX is to renegadeX, but for empiresmod
    and take note: he is doing it on the empiresmod forums... we dont even score that good on OUR OWN forums

the developer crew used to have a guy in charge of media etc, but he kinda dissipated and then noone replaced him and when people wanted to do stuff they would always be sent by the devs to mail that guy knowing he will probably never answer....

im really serious here... ask me and i will take the job, (but ask someone else/do it yourself/... and i will be happy too!!! just "someone" has to do it or it is a missed opportunity for the empires mod community)

7. Trickster

The rest speaks for itself. If you're actually developing the game, rather than fixing it, then tell us ffs.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Why do I always hear this from you guys? Most of you know this mod is lucky enough to be in development after 2.12, and the fact that we get releases every 6-10 months is a real bonus.

It's clear our devs don't have much time to dedicate to this project, and a lot of them are still learning how to deal with the code, yet we still get news every month or so on something they're doing, and tester SVN updates every few days.

Yet I mostly see the vets complaining in these threads created by someone who is new, and actually doesn't know how development is coming. You guys need to stop this, it's childish and doesn't help to do anything except turn our devs off from developing.

Anyway, in the end, you guys need to recognise they are doing something you can't, whether through ability or choice. This mod is a community effort now, if you want things in, you have to volunteer yourself.

Time to put up, or shut up.

9. Trickster

That's a fair point. I mean the devs openly accepted the art team's wor- oh wait.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

Yes, all the completed models they produced were rejec- oh wait.

11. Brutos

Thank you Ikalx.

And Trickster, if you payed attention during the playtest you'd notice that you clip through your own team members, last time I checked it was causing prediction errors, but still its no reason to bitch, its work in progress.

I'll stop wasting my time discussing this with you, and start working on Empires, school was stealing way too much time in the last two weeks :(

12. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Don't try to make anyone think that you know what you're talking about because you don't.

13. Trickster

Kinda difficult due to the mortar buff, the one that made it so powerful it kills the server. Sadly we had stupid testers that didn't realise this included squad arty.

14. Brutos

That change is in the code for at least 3 weeks now.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If you really feel that models that are worthy aren't getting into the game, then that's an issue we need to resolve.

Our devs are not angels, even though they are doing all this work freely, they still have their own ideas on where the mod should go. If you think models (and other content) aren't being given fair consideration, then you should try to post the final versions into the general discussion forum so everyone can vote on them. Not everyone visits the art section, and it doesn't always get the attention it deserves.

It's not like these things can't be changed, and most of our devs are amenable.

16. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

There's a lot more work going on than you might think, but we're all busy with stuff like real life as well.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i believe my question is relevant, and since everyone ignored it the first time il repost it

18. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

HAI GUYz CAN U MAKE FREE GAME FASTER PLOX? ALSO I MADE A SWEET MODEL FOR NEW NF AIRPLANE CAN U ADD PLEASE ITS ONLY 200000000000000000000 POLIES.

[​IMG]

19. Trickster

I lol'd so fucking hard I spat out my drink.

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Cool plane bro.