What's the funnest thing in Empires?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by ImSpartacus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

NIGGA I CAN TELL YOU THIS, LISTENING TO WHAT ACTIVE PLAYERS WANT AFTER YEARS OF BROKEN GAME MECHANICS SELECTED FOR ONLY THE MOST RETARDED TROLLS AND ASSHOLES TO REMAIN ACTIVE, IS A TERRIBLE WAY TO DESIGN A GAME.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

signed

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

This guy gets it.

I didn't know the blast radius was that huge, I only remember how little effort it took to 9 mine the cv, unlike now where it takes like an extra 4-5 hits to kill the cv. I kinda understand what you mean about everything else being that op too, engy's had death laser smg1 and dual rail heavy was the only choice for be because of how ridiculously op it was, but there are good reasons for those changes. Especially the rail thing, you might as well get rid of the research tree if people only ever research 1 thing.

Ikalx, you do bring up a point and that we should think about why these things are fun. I would bring up 2 things about why player count isn't so good anymore though before I get to that. 1 is that players simply get tired of this, look at how many people don't play in pub games ever but then reinstall for pugs/events. Not many vets want to casually play empires anymore, they got burnt out. Point 2 is that empires hasn't had any real good publicity in a couple of years which means there is no influx of people to replace vets who simply get tired of it. The actual game and its current mechanics, believe it or not, is independent of why there isn't as many new players. That and the community doesn't quite help, but that is another thing I think.

I think it is a couple of things if you want to look at it further about why hobbes is a great thing. Basic strategy changes, games stop being the same thing over and over again. Most commanders play it safe and stay behind the frontlines, building backup bases and what not. Teams push in their simple directions, alpha north bravo west kinda thing. I am having a hard time saying what I think actually, but hobbes, or the comm vehicle on the frontline, causes the game to change, to not be so stale.(this goes back to my point of players getting bored of empires, same tactics is dull) The game winning piece is now in full view, which manages to motivate both teams to play better because the final objective is full view of everyone. So the battle gets bigger because there is a lot more people in 1 area then spread out so thin across the map.( this point is more specific to lower pop games I think, less than 20-25.)

I think that is what I meant by excitement. Also do understand, there is plenty of excitement in empires when there is a large pop, but you can't specifically make this game just for that because no new players would ever join if they had to play a crappy game with only a few people. That is the big nit and gritty of the situation I think, empire is a lowish pop game currently, less than 20-25 players at a time for most of the time. And that is why hobbes makes it better, because he can cause small games to feel grand.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I never said I particularly agree with it. I think the game does need to be less forgiving in some areas, but the power of 9mine back then was way over that line. It was pretty absurd the amount of damage one guy could do.

On the other hand, like Ikalx said, the mentality was different. People were a lot more vigilant. People learnt the hard way. I mean, if we go back to talking about boomtanking in this thread, the shit Hobbes does wouldn't fly back then. Any CV within range was punished with a stun nearly 100% of the time. Only people who were really fucking good at boomtanking like Sonecha and Opie could get away with that stuff. I speak as someone who tried, and died from being stunned many many times. I learnt the hard way, and I cut that shit out.

The problem is, you can't just re-learn the playerbase that stuff. We were in a really special spot where the playerbase had been built up over time and was pretty dedicated, so they learnt about these tactics as they developed one by one. That playerbase is gone, that knowledge is gone, and to suddenly re-introduce a lot of this hardcore stuff would destroy the game. Vets who knew about this stuff would have free reign to win the game at will almost every single round. I've been in that situation before. It's cool at first but it becomes really tiresome really quickly, and above all, it kills the server population. It's simply not viable to bring hardcore stuff back in unless we had the population to take it. There simply aren't enough players around to learnt the counters.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Any kind of defense should be able to be circumvented. Automated defensive measures are a means to delay, not stop, the offense.

Listening to rookie designers is much better...

That's how we get a class that's useful about 5% of the time, but fucking gamebreakingly useful during that period.

Game design is hard.

Don't we already have that?

Granted, I get that this shit isn't black and white. We're always going to have some amount of win-via-experience bullshit.

The big one is the classic ninja. Think about what it takes to pull off a typical ninja:

• Switching squad leads
    • Intentionally killing yourself, often multiple times
    • Using (and knowing) squad lead powers
    • Complete knowledge of every visually identical grenade in the game
    • Extensive knowledge of the most underused class in the game

That's a lot of shit to learn and none of it is easy to learn. When you know all of that shit and you can use it at the speed necessary to pull off a ninja, is there really anything major that a non-commander player needs to know?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

that was the exact same thought i had ...

actually i think it got way worse, since the overpoweredness in earlyer version was easy to use and often didnt require cooperation with any other player - a single gren could instantly end the game or at least remove your whole base.
    not saying it was good the way it was, but if the other team was stacked you could simply exploit their false security and boom gg, now you have a chance if you can convince two other players to exploit the game mechanics to absurdity, but unless you counterstack with them (which most of the time happens only to deny the win when some already left, which is such dick move i cant even tell) you wont find capable players.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Removing the CV isen't how you improve empires, it's how you kill it.

8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Considering that it's the active players that tend to have a better view of the current gameplay situation, it's only natural to give their views higher weight because of an implicit assumption that their views will be at least slightly more informed.

I think Lazybum said it right though, people just get burnt out. I personally can't stick with most games for more than three days at most. Out of all the games I've played, less than 1% I've played for more than a week. Empires is one of two games that I've managed to play for over two years, and the only one that's multiplayer.

I would love to have some of those old players back, but if we build it, would they come? That's the important question for me; I'm more interested in catering to the players that play instead of the ones that might decide to play if possibly drastic changes happen. Whenever a game changes to try and either get new players to join or old players to return, there's a major risk of alienating the current playerbase and a major risk of it not being good enough to keep either the new players or returning old players. I'd have almost no qualms about making Empires be essentially as it was in it's golden days with some new features and a lot of new fixes, but because I believe that it's the players the make the game good, I highly doubt that any drastic measure would increase the playerbase and would only serve to cut it down even more.

And for the record, I don't make the changes to the game simply because I like them myself most of the time; I would definitely prefer a game that makes screwing up a lot of painful, but the realities of the situation make changes such as that simply a bad idea. So many people suggest drastic changes to the game that overhaul the entire thing and throw it in a different direction than where it is now, and although it may be a game that might be good, overhauls that drastically change fundamental parts of the game instead of trying to improve what's already there will tend to drive off more players than draw in. Anyone who's seen a favorite game of theirs die off because the developers decided to make some sudden drastic changes to draw in new players knows what it's like.

9. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Have you guys ever considered something like a "game mode"?

Some way to easily let something other than the map control certain things like:

• available research
    • starting research
    • available chassis (e.g. less than the defaults)
    • available vehicle weapons (e.g. less than the defaults)
    • available classes
    • available loadout options
    • asymmetrical tickets
    • asymmetrical team size limits
    • available buildings
    • starting buildings
    • available skills
    • starting skill slots
    • presence of other "innate" mechanics:
      • mg turrets
      • ml turrets
      • cameras
      • radars
      • sabotage
      • dual turrets/cameras
      • ammo boxes
      • ammo box cooldown
      • etc

Admittedly, this is tremendously risky. It's easy to implement this kind of thing in a way that would confuse the fuck out of players.

And yet, it would allow you to say, "we're playing this canyon match with jeeps only because canyon's infantry combat is fucking five-star."

But it could easily lead to lazy balancing. Money back in ~2010 would probably always have arty disabled. District would probably lose grenades on most matches.

Even more troublesome, we'd see more "minigame" like gameplay. How fun with eastborough be with only one class and only melee for combat? What about shotguns only on district? Or ranged rifle and no tanks on dust storm?

But the biggest gain would be "classic" modes with extra chassis like Mk2s and other modifications to mimic old versions.

It'd also be difficult to administer. How do you decide which game mode to pick? It'd probably be simplest to just tie that to a version of the map. Perhaps you could do a game mode after a map has been created without having to completely recompile everything and what not?

This also sounds like a sizable undertaking.

10. FN198

FN198 Member

@imspartacus

if we had more servers and a much larger playerbase you would no doubt see that. it would be cool once and then lame forever after.

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I would never argue that the current player count proves the dysfunctionality of current Empires design, even with a perfect 2.0 release the player numbers would have roughly developed the same way. Player numbers wouldn't suddenly rise by the thousands if you implemented all my suggestions and yes it would drive most of the current vets away. ^^

I'm just interested in Empires game design as a purely academic discussion, what are the incentives, payoffs and trade-offs in the game and what impact do they have on a player's behaviour and participation. Ninjaing for example, has the highest possible payoff for the attacker - he wins the game, it is only limited by high skill and experience requirements while defending against a ninja isn't nearly as fun or as exciting as going on the offensive.

Empires in a way has the problem of many open source projects, they are built, maintained and used by a handful of hardcore nerds that think their use cases represent all that is and don't understand why mainstream users shun their software.

If your main goal is to design for the current active player base then letting the CV respawn in a VF is obviously not what you would want. Actually for this scenario I suggest that you halve the CV's hitpoints, so Trickster gets more successful ninjas, give the CV a death laser so Hobbes has more fun boomtanking and let the commander sacrifice players on his team to heal the CV so vets can abuse random newbies even more.

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Seems incompatible with empires server politics.
    You'd end up with servers only utilising one game mode ever, the owners and his lackeys most favourite one.
    Any attempt at disccusion would be met with the usual "you're welcome not to play" deal, as per empires' usual "mine word is final" feudal bullshit.

13. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Standing toe to toe with a rushing tank, firing RPG, killing the tank, then sidesteppping the carcass just in time...

14. Lazybum

Oh man, that reminds me. Shooting a rpg at a jeep and hitting the driver, amazing.

15. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Most fun thing in Empires? Long games with battle lines going back and forth slowly but steadily. Then, holding the fort for as long as you can, carefully preparing for one final outlash. Check out the story "The Little Heavy That Could" in section Commanding Tips in the Empires Manual (it's in the empires install folder under 'manual') for one of the most exhilirating endings to a round of Empires I've ever played.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

There was quite a while when this wasn't really true. Every man and his dog boomtanked, and badly, so much so that there were only a handful of commanders who would give people a decent game. I've played through a lot of boomtankers, and heck, I was there when people like Opie made Krenzo think stickies were a good idea.

Understand, though, and this is a general point, that I'm not saying that we should bring back all those things. I AM saying that if it's better with Hobbes risking himself, there's something wrong. EXCEPT, now that you've clarified that basically the population is very small, and you need single pathway maps to compensate for it. Because Hobbes draws the action to one place, it feels like you're actually playing Empires, rather than stretched thin with only a few people around.

These are the points I'm trying to make, really. If something is awesome, sometimes it's necessary to know why, and also to try and figure out if we can improve that aspect.

My own self, I believe a lot of the 'oomph' from Empires has been removed, but really through no one's fault. Aspects of the game have improved, but in many ways it's harder for people to have fun, I feel. If we're also going to have low-pop games as the regular endeavour, we need to think about a way of enhancing that experience.

17. Lazybum

Maps can fix some of that, at least with dealing with low pop games. Most maps are made with the idea of at least 20 people on the server, empires doesn't have many that play very well with less. Most people, like me, got used to it and develop tactics and fun ways of playing those maps at low pops. This is why spartacus and JGF are considered really good pub commanders, because they mastered low pop game commanding simply because they both know they don't have the manpower to deal with anything.

I do know there was a time when max server was 32 and there was low pop games more often, but for some reason empires isn't as great as it was back then. Might have to do with that lack of "oomph" you mentioned.

Thinking about it, it might have to be with the fact we saw how great empires can really be, so it is hard to go back to something smaller and less extravagant.

18. FN198

FN198 Member

Kind of like heroin