What's a good jeep?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by ImSpartacus, Jul 23, 2014.

1. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

So many engineers who have thrown their grenades at tanks, so many engineers who have tried to deconstruct tanks.. So many engineers who have died..

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Because they have not finished 6th grade yet. They probably don't even know what the word means. We should not have to turn this game into cod(which is for and played mostly by, kids) by simplifying everything. They just go... "its a grenade... it hurts everything". Yes... technically this is true, even people take 1hp dmg if I remember right.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yes, it is hilarious and sad to kill yourself with seismics. Do remember seismics only do 20 damage, and everything that isn't a building has 95% resistance, so 1 damage on everything.

Fake edit: Looking at scripts I'm wrong, refinerys have a 20% resistance to seismic grenades. Turrets and engy camera/radar have an increase of 70% (-0.7 in the scripts), which increases damage to 34, just enough to kill them. Not that we didn't know that part at least.

4. ViroMan

Really, huh, didn't know refs had a resistance... weird.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

All buildings have huge resistances, otherwhise seismics would kill them in 2 shorts or something. It's the way the game deals with engineer repairing. They have low HP so engineers can build/repair/decon them, but then they have resistance vs everything so they don't die stupidly easy.

6. ViroMan

Why the fuck do shit like that??
    Why not set one repair worth more instead of low health with high resist?

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

There's a multiplier for vehicle repair, but not for building repair.

There's a lot of goofy shit like that in the scripts.

8. ViroMan

well logically if engy nades do too much dmg... fucking lower the dmg instead of putting in a resist its damn silly. If you want it to do more damage to a specific target then you can put in a reverse resist.

9. ImSpartacus

That's about the only one that really is preventable. Someone just derped and Trickster/Everyone never fixed it.

10. ViroMan

Well really the whole thing is kinda wonky. Its like... they just piled band-aids on top of each other to fix a wound that needs some stitches to stop the bleeding. Now all these band-aids require each other to work as a crappy bandage to the wound and pulling one out will fuck the whole thing up. You just need to rip it all out and stitch the wound.

I understand there is a need for resists but, when your setting resists up pretty damn high for a weapon designed to only kill that type of target... wtf!?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  11. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Does it really matter other than the logical point of it?

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think a reason they never just lowered the damage of the seismic is that it would mess with the damage from blast radius. I don't really know how damage is calculated from the center, if it is linear or there is a fall off, but if you nerfed the damage you also make it require the grenade to be on target, which isn't a terrible thing but it would make taking out cluster of buildings/turrets impossible.

13. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I really wouldn't put it that way. The dev who did implement them (if you don't already know, it doesn't particularly matter who it is) was surprised that we still have it, but it's a very flexible way of balancing things and doing rapid changes easily, which is extremely useful back when Empires was being developed hella' fast. The downside is that it creates a very complex system of balancing which becomes vulnerable to slight changes to the more basic variables (i.e., changing a weapon's base damage can involve having to tweak a bunch of other resist values). The other downside is that there is such a thing as having too much flexibility, making things actually harder to balance when there're so many things to tweak. It's like having a racing game where you have a vehicle that lets you customize everything from the dampening constant for your springs to the air/fuel ratio of your fuel injection system; there's just so many options, it starts to become difficult just to figure out what might be *good*

14. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Yes, but more than just Sesimics hurt that target, so you have to also look at it from that perspective.

15. ViroMan

Well... I think I need to look at the scripts.

I been thinkging this over for a while and perhaps there needs to be in place a multi dmg types per weapon. For example a cannon can cause impact/piercing dmg as well as explosive dmg. A missile can do the same but, leaning more towards explosive then impact. Then we could probably dump many of the resistance shenanigans. Weapons would have more values to tweak but, at the same time it seems like it would make it easier to balance them.

Some random thoughts on the matter...

Explosive can be used to transmit heat to target. So missiles can heat enemy a bit while cannons generally wont. Seems logical, no?

On a 1-5 scale

dmg types:
    explosive, impact, piercing, and bio

HE:
    4 explosive
    1 impact

Ranged:
    1 explosive
    3 impact
    1 piercing

Rail:
    1 impact
    5 piercing

Standard:
    1 explosive
    2 impact

Plasma cannon:... Fuck that stupid troll shit... dump it or make it viable.

ML:
    3 explosive
    1 impact

UML:
    5 explosive
    1 impact

Guided:
    3 explosive
    2 impact

Nuke: (if you get hit by this... well you deserve it)
    5 explosive
    5 impact

DUMG:
    1 impact
    1 piercing

DUHMG:
    2 impact
    1 piercing

HEMG:
    1 explosive
    1 impact
    1 piercing

HEHMG:
    2 explosive
    2 impact
    1 piercing

16. ImSpartacus

This isn't really a bump as much as an admission of failure.

[​IMG]

My conclusions from this thread:

1) Hardcore jeep drivers probably don't give a shit about jeep handling. Reznov whines more about HP and doesn't even mention anything about handling or driveability. I'm surprised.

2) No one gives a shit about handling in general. Lazybum and Candles provided a modest amount of direction. Without needing to ask them, I also know the positions & opinions of a few other community members. That's it. I'm disappointed.

Normally motivation isn't much of an issue for me, but Payday 2 is just a lot more fun than Empires despite, itself, being clunky and mod-like.

:/

17. ViroMan

hint, you can vastly improve stability of vehicles by modifying virtual wheel position. Think, axle extensions.

"offset" "0 64 25" //(Left/Right Front/Rear Up/Down)
    "wheeloffset" "40 0 0" //(Left/Right Front/Rear Up/Down)

18. 101010

101010 Member

Jeeps handle perfectly. They just lack HP. Turbo made up for that but........ I miss turbo.
    the problem with most vehicles is turn radius. Mostly the CV thats the main reason I don't com.

19. ViroMan

Tracked vehicles should have superior turn radius vs wheeled vehicles. CV's should have crap for turn radius, they are truck sized.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

hoxhud scrub

IMO jeep horsepower is good enough, the problem I have is that I keep driving into things. So if anything, the game itself needs to be slowed down.