What's a good jeep?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by ImSpartacus, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

That wouldn't be very fun if every time you get in a high adrenaline chase you flip over at a slight curve and die to whatever you were running from. Most games with vehicles omit flipping which occurs from user control because players will feel punished just for using the vehicle, while flipping because you got hit by another vehicle or you drove into a rock is the proper feeling of punishment.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Those tanks with the massive tilt are still one of the coolest things I had the joy of driving in empires.

From all the stuff I read between viroman and you spartacus talking about the vehicle scripts I really don't think drifting is possible in empires. At most you can get a more controllable power slide, which is what all these fancy slides we do really are, but an actual drift isn't possible beyond someone making a downhill racing course of sorts. Even then it is a bit of a guessing game of when you are gonna get the power you need to carry you through the drift. You need code support to really get it I think.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Well that's why you need to learn how to drive.

That is the risk of going fast, is loosing control of the vehicle.

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Well... technically... I can give the rear wheels less grip and then you can drift. I think I tried it at one time and since I am not... experienced in it I was like... this. is. shit.

Eexcept in most games you can control the speed of the vehicle a great deal more then just gas on/off.

5. BigTeef

I am not saying to make it a damn stunt car, I am saying this shit happens and it should happen to the game.
    Cars flip but they are not goats, it takes some serious speed for that to happen, not to mention bumps.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

25bucks? jeep is there to make walking less dreadful. the most hate for jeeps is from times when you could build jeeps for well over 200 (it came with armor though).
    as long as jeeps hitboxes suck and vehicles are unpredicted, turbo is imbalanced. you just want your free kills ...

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

But it's not a positive experience in any way. It's negative feedback, it will just make people not buy jeeps because they have a chance to become completely useless over driving it. The idea is cool aesthetically but the experience would not be fun, and Empires is about fun, positive feedback that makes you want to come back for more.

8. BigTeef

Because watching people loose their shit over the jeep would not be fun.

This IS empires right?

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

This is a good point. I think we should look at jeeps like if we were removing them from the game.

What is the specific, niche use of a jeep over and above the afv/lt/apc chassis? Is it a vehicle for disrupting enemy lines and creating mayhem? Is it a way to get a squad from one location to another for a strike win? (In which case BE jeep fails).

Is it just for transport, and if so, how does it destabilise the game? - that is, we locked the CV from moving for the first minute of gameplay, so that people can't be pushed around the map. If we now have a strategy where we fast build a VF to get jeeps out, isn't that a bit stupid? We've literally taken with one hand and ended up giving with the other (super low cost jeeps).

We need to think a bit more about the actual jeep balance, as well as it's uses. And only then is handling really relevant.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

jeeps should be (and finally are) cheap transports to get around the map - a gamechanger shouldnt be just 25bucks ...

previous jeeps (especially with turbo) survived ten times as long as mediums and could rank up as many kills - thats just absurd.
    all whiners want is cheap kills because of fail hitboxes ...

11. ViroMan

In my eyes...
    Jeeps are a fastest set of wheels to get somewhere cheep. If I am spending my rez since, thats what the fucking VF does first, eat my rez, then I may want some thing cheep to get me back to the front line quickly or even behind enemy lines unharassed.

12. Reznov

Reznov Member

Expecting a researched armor to be better than paper. Especially if it is the only researched armor at the time.

This is just another thing I have to add to the book of experience for jeeps in this version. Paper > Reactive.

... I can't believe I just said that.

13. BigTeef

What is reactive supposed to do again?

14. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Really, I would just make the argument that Paper = Reactive = Regen = Abs = Reflective = Compo because jeeps don't even have armor in the first place.

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You have resistances (aka lazy balancing) to thank for that.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think the problem is that changing the armor also changes the resists of the vehicle's hull. Which is why anything is better than reactive on a jeep. This is something I never noticed because I never thought there was a reason to change from plain, what with jeeps having no armor.

It does explain how I shot and killed that jeep in one hit though, cause I was wondering what happened.

17. Reznov

Reznov Member

It does make a tiny difference if you look close enough. The HP of the jeep doesn't change but the effects of the armor are still functional. I would say that Regen and Compo are the best armors for jeeps just because of the small resistance against the BIO MLs bleed damage to prevent it taking damage too fast. I just can't remember if you can survive the BIO ML bleeding with any of those armors... I don't think you can though.

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Let me rephrase that. I meant that, intuitively, it should make no difference whatsoever which armor you pick because jeeps have no armor in the first place. I didn't mean to say that that's how it currently works.

19. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

This is Empires. Your dreams will never be reality:p

That said a lot could be done to change around resistances but aren't because the game never directly tells the player these things in-game. Working on armor scripts today, I found out that seismic grenades do 5% of their damage to tanks. Nothing in the game tells you that.

20. ViroMan

Well its sort of intuitive that if it says seismic... it shouldn't effect people or vehicles that much.