We want Commander targets back

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Deletejohnson, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

if you're listening to vets then your opinion is probably invalid.
    IMO the worst thing that you can do for this mod is listen to these guys or put them in power.
    This mod needs to organize a playtest with intelligent people who haven't played Empires before, and use their opinions and ideas as basis for any changes.

2. Deiform

Deiform Member

That's usually the opposite of what developers should do... that makes no sense at all. Veterans know the game more than anyone else - even the developers, and to discredit their opinion solely on the basis that they have some kind of narrow minded view of the way the game should be played is ridiculous.

Look at any other suggestion forum on any other game and you'll find that the people that have played the game for 1 hour suggest some absolutely ridiculous stuff of which has either been discussed before, or that has no relevance to the game.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ahahahahahahahaha yes let newbies decide what empires should be like ...
    at best those that didnt even manage to build a tank.

please, think before posting, really, its not that hard :rolleyes:

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Targets need to be implemented again but in another way that's less obnoxious and boring/redundant.

5. flasche

i rather think its because this game is getting old. after a couple of years all games get stale. infact, after a certain time you realize that all games are the same anyway and that bores the shit out of you. this happend to all of my friends that used to play 24/7 over years.
    and in terms of newbies, just look at how people act on servers. once they played for 2 month they start to stack with vets and flame new players and commanders - not that vets wouldnt do that too, it has to have an origin somewhere. its like being a complete tard would be good manners in empires ...
    well, thats what drives me away from servers mainly. the way some people behave is just pathetic :pathetic:

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Unlike you, most vets do play.. Hell I barley play but still have 9 hours in the past 2 weeks. I watch every change and know how they will play out for the most part.

Your "brilliant" idea is to some how get 40 "intelligent" people from somewhere on the internet and have them balance this game? They will all tell you to scrap it, cause they won't know wtf to do. Yeah some vets are stupid(like you) but a lot of them are vets because they genuinely care about this mod and its well being rather than what they need to do good.

Some things can be removed with out changing game play(scout class) others like targets should stay until something can replace them.. Like listening posts. It's not going to hurt the game to have them in until a fix comes out.. Noobs need to the help targets or cams provide. But cam's are really only effective on district.

I think a huge reason the dev's are against this is cause they wanna release 2.3 rite now instead of being patient. I can't speak on targets as something for commanders to do, but I would imagine it to be pretty boring now. But this is just my opinion take it or leave it. Don't get butt hurt like varbles and then instantly hate anything I say from now on.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Also yes the population has hugely dropped. Last night there was 20 people on... ON A FRIDAY NIGHT! a year ago we would of had a full server and this was when we had no releases at all, now we have one a week and still people aren't playing.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's obviously nothing to do with Black ops just getting released.

9. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

haha oh yeah, that's why I haven't been playing lol

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Yes, we all have 486 and can only play 10 year old games.

11. OuNin

OuNin Member

I liked the system right after attack orders were removed, where infantry in a combat area were generally visible on the minimap. Not too fond of the total information blackout.

I wish that system was reworked so you could see infantry in your direct visual range or immediate local area on the minimap. Enhanced senses would have to be reworked though.

[emphasis edit]

I suggest that engineer cameras and radars should be buffed, with longer ranges and shorter build times and that the radii of these devices should be visible on the minimap. That way, there would be little ambiguity behind the effective ranges of detection devices.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  12. Trickster

Seeing everything on the minimap stops people slipping past any other infantry, which is totally gay. Information should require some manual input to acquire.

13. FN198

FN198 Member

Targets

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Anything to do with the mini map is retarded. It needs a complete overhaul for icons to reflect actual size. We shouldn't know where hes looking just cause hes near a building or something.

Targets were already nerfed years ago, They use to have infinite range and not disappear after death. Just shorten the range so stop working if an enemy falls back and re add mass targets till we get a better solution.

15. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Generally why do we have cameras?
    I you want to see where the enemy is then place one or force a team member to do this. No need for commander targets.

16. flasche

and the autospot should go too - all targeting stuff should be easily destroyable. i wouldnt even mind if the camera range would be increase, but there should be a way to avoid being seen (without hide)

also program tetris for the commander if they are so bored, i can find me something to do most of the time ...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  17. Trickster

Infantry don't spot other infantry.

18. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

But an armory made of metal sheets does ...
    'cause metal sheets have eyes and infantry doesn't

19. zenarion

zenarion Member

Can't even imagine why people rage so hard at the loss of comm targets.
    Also, giving total control of the mod to vets means stagnation. Vet will revert to what they fap to: 2.12.

20. flasche

i can see why people miss commander targets, commanding really got a boring job and the commander lost much influence to the battle.
    on the other hand, while it got boring for two, the game got better for up to 62 other players.

you should think beyond constant comm wallhax and focus on alternatives - time limited comm powers, destroyable comm UAVs or whatever.
    you see the differentiation i made? one, the old system, is free mass wallhax as long as the comm isnt sleeping, while the alternatives i named all have a certain limitation, be it time or destructability thus making it more of a strategic choice - not everyone can have wallhacks all the time.

i think the removal of mass targets was a good step forward for the bigger portion of the game though. i also do not agree with the buildings autospot feature, which i assume to be a counter to "ninjaing". it again is a persistent feature that requires neither skill nor strategy.

also zenarion i think your "vet-accusation" is unfair. what got reverted, got only reverted because it didnt counter the problems it should solve or even worse additionally created new ones (mk2s for example)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010