Update for mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

PLEASE! don't reduce starting cash! Starting battles for the north are EPIC, and really fun. it's also very hard to defend the north, so it's about evens as to whether it's better to take it or the rest of the map.

you're going to make boring one of the, if not the funnest maps in the game. the great thing about it is that you CAN get to the res points at the start quickly, and this really get's the pace going.

2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I agree, the only drawback is that sometimes it ends the game quickly.

3. R_yell

R_yell Member

I think the battle for north at beggining should happend the same, just with no APCs. That would change game play a bit, but not that much. An high amount of initial cash has a negative side, because it's very easy to start rushing enemy base and game could end sooner than it should. I also think that having a VF up so soon is not positive, lazy people and resource wasters just want to make jeeps, that people should be taking refineries, not making a queue to build a damn jeep.

In short: low initial amount of cash is good overall, while high amount of cash could be good in some matches where everyone knows what to do, but that does not happen in average matches.

4. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

Why wont you just remove the bridges?
    Do tat and also lower the amount of cash you get.

Also, i have a mapping related quetion:
    How do you zome in and out in the 3d view of Nem's erraine generator?

edit:nevermined, didnt read the read me....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

How do you expect any commander to organise a team enough to get all the players on your team into an APC. do you REALLY want us to walk all that way? that would honestly take 5 or so minutes.

Please, the map is one of the biggest in the game and it's really useful to be able to organise your team at the begining. I agree that maps like Crossroads should start on foot, but it really adds to the gameplay to be able to get an APC at the start.

6. R_yell

R_yell Member

Finally the update 2 has been submitted for betatesting, here is a list of changes:

- Initial cash was lowered to 400 (before 500). Not a big change, but like I said, start shouldn't be so fast for several reasons.
    - Home res node only produces half resources now, again, slower start, but it's still possible to create a VF and a bit later an APC. However, Comm must decide if those resources should be invested in a different way.
    - North zone drops a res node, so it's less determinant.
    - Dam facility adds to lockgates which gives a fortress look. They can be closed or opened in the same way as the roof lockgate.
    - Vehicles are able to enter inside dam facility.
    - Dam res node still outputs double amount of resources, so its equal than north.
    - reinforcements lowered to 200
    - several performance optimizations related to satellite dishes and water
    - bug fixes: water, grass sprites

So north zone is still very valuable, but it doesn't give a decisive advantage as it happens now.

Dam res node is more valuable now, because an apc can be safeguarded inside. At the same time, vehicles could attack enemy base across there. It's still 'assaultable' despite the new lockgates, just a bit less easier. There is a small bonus for BE because they can safeguard their CV and NF not.

And finally, less tickets means more chances to get a close end. I love those situations.

In short, I hope these changes make longer and contested games.

7. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Five minutes to get to the north?

Nowhere near that long!

8. supaste

supaste Member

you need to fix the big hunk of rock in the middle you can go inside it!

9. R_yell

R_yell Member

Can you provide more info? There is a exact place to go in or it's some kind of trick with vehicles, or whatever?

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

take your jeep, and run into it as fast as you can.

works every time.

11. R_yell

R_yell Member

That doesn't work for me.

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

try it again.

13. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

One word: lag.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I think this is a problem with collision detection due to lag. Krenzo has already stated in the news post that this is corrected in version 1.08 (it's the same bug that allows you to squeeze through displacements in places).

Nice work on the update though R_Yell, look forward to playing it!