Update for mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, Jul 13, 2006.

1. R_yell

R_yell Member

I'm working on an update because several issues have arisen once the map has been tested extensively. There was a res node not working for the NF faction, and I think gameplay could be improved in several ways. I'd like to consider your proposals and expose my ideas as well:

- I'd like to change how the entire south zone can be played. The two res nodes near the river around the dam are very exposed to long range attacks, they can be destroyed too easily from the enemy base. So my plan is to replace them with a unique "super" res node (x2 the normal amount). This one will be placed in the lower part of the dam, and will be protected with a structure around it. The structure will work as some kind of fort, so it's easier to defend than attack, but could be attacked and accessed from several sides, including top (jumping from the top of the dam) and bottom (from the river). So that estructure will make more usable the south zone, and much more funny to play.

- And second, I'd like to alter the terrain to add cover or open new paths that will add new ways of attack or defend home bases and north zone.

There should be opened a path from the ground to gain access to the middle island in the concrete bridges. That zone is essential to attack or defend the home base.

[​IMG]

The Brenoldi base lacks of a route near the bridge to get sneaking from the river

[​IMG]

And finally, the top part of the map is a good way to sneak into the enemy base, it could be more bumpy to improve the cover and make the combats there more interesting.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Do you like the changes? Any other ideas?

2. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

They sound fine to me. I always have trouble keeping the res nodes by the dam :(

3. halbalbador

halbalbador Member

I already thought this level was pretty amazing as it was, but these improvements all seem like good ideas.

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Quite a big problem is that every team tries to capture the north at the start. There is really no other defendable point for another base.

5. R_yell

R_yell Member

North is no a stronghold, I saw many games where the team occupying that zone was kicked out from there. I mean is no much better place than other zones, maybe has an edge, but no more. The team getting that zone receives a prize in form of additional resources and better defense, but also faces a big problem: its base is splitted in two so the other team can take their home base.

Center is also an interesting place to establish no a full base, only an outpost to send attacks faster. Home base is not a bad place for defend, as enemy tanks are very vulnerable while crossing both bridges.

Anyway, with the proposed changes team that looses initially north has more chances to stay alive because the dam res node will be easier to control. Noob teams will lose both zones of course and die fast as they do usually :D

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i usually dont like the idea of a defendable supernode ::coughwastelandcough:: but if it can be attacked multible ways, and if defending well means losing access to other nodes then i can see no problems.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

The prize for controlling north (usually taking it first and turret spamming) is way too high. You should make it 2 ref place or add more refs to other bases.

8. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I don't like the supernode idea. If it's easily defended and not very open to attack, the team that captures and secures it first will gain a rather unfair advantage.

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

love your map dude, only one thing I noticed was that the BE start location doesnt have much room to line up my buildings the way i want to, not a very big problem but would be nice to have a bit less hill on the back, to drop my buildings exactly how i want to (walk in VF from rax ect)
    also apprantly its very easy to drop a barracks on some the hills on the outside.

Very awesome map :0

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

both bases can be nydused quite easily.

fix the ramp on the NF side of the dam plz (mabey the BE one is messed up too). 1 of 2 things is wrong, either it cant be built or it takes an ungodly amount of time and the progress bar is just messed up.

11. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

It takes ungodly amount of time to build on both sides. 3 or 4 full bars of calculator juices with repair upgrade. :(

12. R_yell

R_yell Member

Yes, the prize is high, and that's not bad IMO. I don't see a clear reason behind your proposal. The team that loses north needs more chances to keep in the game, this is not about losing a battle and the game is decided for one or other side. Making it 3 res node enforces the idea of moving the base there, and that's just what I want. I think it works pretty well now.

It should be easier to defend than attack, as I said, but is not a stronghold like building. Look at these preview pictures, there is an easy path to get into there from the top of the dam and from the water using the ladders.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The roof lockgate can be closed or opened from inside just with a button. It's necessary for comm to build there. APCs cannot be safe guarded inside, so that's an advantage for attackers. The corridor at middle height in the front part is the best way to get in, engineers can't build there.

Sorry but the building area cannot be expanded on BE side, the back hills are 3dskybox area, there is no room for more.

Both ramps works well, just take time to build and progress bar is broken (that's a limitation of the bars, developers are aware). The big amount of engi resources needed is very justified: gives you access to other base and the new facility.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  13. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

That stronghold is starting to look good. It seems awfully dark though, any chance of having lights in there?

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

I love the geometry of the building as well, but I think it's a bit too concrete-centric. Add some I-beams in there or something, it just doesn't seem aesthetically pleasing to be so monotonous.

And don't forget to add a track for the roof lockgate to slide along. :D

15. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Sorry, I do not like the supernode thing at all. I really hope you don't ruin a perfectly good map :(

16. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Dee, relax, if it doesn't play well, then it will be removed.

17. R_yell

R_yell Member

There is no previous structures like this one in Empires maps, so this is a bit experimental, but I can't see any serious drawback for the map. It opens new possibilities, and make the start more interesting, so teams need to consider if all they go to north, or go dam, or risk and split. I also like the infantry combat side, and hope this building will be very funny to capture and defend.

18. R_yell

R_yell Member

Some updates:

- fog distance is reduced from 12000 to 10000 units mainly due to gameplay reasons. Don't like people firing rockets at buildings from too long.
    - now side north res nodes are inside a crater like terrain, that will prevent the mentioned high distance attacks, and at the same time will add cover when people assault that zone.
    - added the suggested changes to dam facility, more metal and lights. The lockgate is also working pretty well

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  19. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:) I like the lights, could you add some supports under that part on the left, which has that ladder? I think it would look better(and more realistic).

20. R_yell

R_yell Member

Ok, supports added, I suppose the map won't perform much worser :) Just wanted to keep the brush work to minimun.

I'm finalizing the changes, here a revamped butte, closer to the original, and updated minimap too:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I retouched the skybox too, now it blends with fog better, seems like the fog is over the player view.