Update for mvalley

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by R_yell, Jul 13, 2006.

1. R_yell

R_yell Member

Sorry, just one update more, now it's done!

[​IMG]

If there is something you consider should be added plz tell me soon because this will be the last update if there is no a major issue.

2. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I was thinking small rocks for small cover during a fire fight around the waters edge

3. R_yell

R_yell Member

ok, you mean the river near both bases maybe?

4. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

yea around some of the main crossing points of the water.

5. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Maybe a little graffiti, grit, and grime in and around the supernode structure? It seems a little too pristine and unused.

6. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

could you put in there some stuff like shelves, that get's chucked around by nades? it's really fun!

7. R_yell

R_yell Member

There won't be destructable props, sorry. I think is not the right map for that kind of stuff. I added a few decals to the dam facility.

Here is the update, take a look! (maybe you want to rename actual emp_mvalley.bsp before unpacking the new files, so you can keep playing it until the update is made official)

http://www.hlrse.net/empiresvhe/R_yell/mvalley update.rar

There is no major changes, but now I think it'll play better, look better, and FPS will be higher.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

On north of northern base there is a hill (displacemnt of course). Most of people think that they can't get there. You can get there easily and spam turrets (ninja whole base). This hill should be removed/made not buildable/not accessible.

9. R_yell

R_yell Member

The whole concept of the map is that players can sneak into enemy bases, or just flank enemy other times. That spot you mention, Mootant, has a double purpose. It doesn't work only as a offensive placement, it works well for defense too. Scouts or grenadiers have a big adventage there when enemy team is trying to spawn turrets to take the place. So I think it's worth and enrich the map.

10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

It's too sneaky. If it was meant to be accesible change it someway to make people think that it is really accessible. I don't have any specific idea how to do it.

11. R_yell

R_yell Member

Let people discover the map tricks by themselves. When someone blow their asses from there, they'll know that zone is accessible.

12. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

I love the Hills that you can climb up on, makes it interesting when you build a small base in the far back corner...

-Sheepe

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

No, It's too sneaky, and the " they should learn it themselves" arguement is elitest. this game should be accessable.

I agree that if it's designed to be in the map, it should be a feature, and if it's not, then it should be blocked off.

14. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I like the idea of hidden goodies in maps.
    By playing one game on this map anybody could figure out what is accessable and whats not.

Love the new dam on the map R_Yell

15. Onea

Onea Member

I have to disagree with you. The north of the map is nearly invincible and I have never seen an entrenched team displaced from there.

Why? I think there are a few reasons for this. First, there is no staging ground where you can attack from easily. Both the east and west side are wide open ground, not suitable for a base. The enemy is right above you and can rain death down on you. Enemy grenadiers can blow away any apc you bring up and any buildings you build. Riflemen and turrets can easily take out your infantry. The only other location for a staging ground is the middle of the map. Unfortunately, you have a super long bridge that acts as a choke point. Its absolute suicide to attack down it. Also, the enemy has more than enough space for a vf. Having easily deployable vehicles on higher ground is a huge advantage.

Not only is it easily defensible, its also too valuable. It has 3 resources, which makes up nearly half the map's resources. Not only are they worth a lot, they are essentially perfectly secure for the above mentioned reasons. Why is this a problem? Because if you control any other part of the map, which you will, you will have more than 50% of the map's resources and are "winning". Even if that northern base is all you control, you still have a good chunk of the map's resources. Not only that, the other team's resources are spread out over the whole map and are relatively vulnerable.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that the dam resource and the northern plateau are not equal. The super-node is much more vulnerable, with less facilities, and produces less resources.

That all said, I do like your map. I very much enjoy driving around like a manic. It's also looks fabulous :)

Did I miss anything?

16. R_yell

R_yell Member

Learn it themselves wanted to mean that is no so hidden place, there is a clear ramp that goes up, just look at the map. People will see other players that know how to access, and in the end, if somebody kills you from there then it's pretty clear that it's accesible. Some people has learnt that from me, he he.

Play more games then, I've seen that happening several times, it's pretty easy to approach the norther zone with an APC and start nading, turret farming, etc. The final fail or success could depend on several factors, not only terrain adventage. Maybe if defending teams gets turrets everywhere (and it's a very big place), and most of them are commited to defend, then could be very hard, but there is no problem in it. A very valuable zone should be very hard to get.

Also take in mind that: North is 6 r/s (res per second), rest of the map is 12 r/s (so it's 1/3). Each res node is 2 r/s, except dam is 4 r/s. Team that gets north probably will have 2 r/s adventage if they also keep 2 home res nodes. It's not meant to be 50/50 because north has a premium as I said. Controlling north doesn't give victory, it helps a bit, but it's no deciding factor.

A tendency I noticed is that team controlling north doesn't win every match, but when a team loses north they use to lose the game, that's almost sure.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  17. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

People that were playing on duststorm don't expect anything coming from there. Neither that they can climb there.

What I don't like is that still you can see both commanders trying to relocate to north at the same time. Both teams run there from the start. I don't like supernodes or any bonusses. North is very hard to capture after enemy made 9 turrets (2+1x3). Can be done with artillery.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  18. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Please move the CV somewhere else, so it doesn't have to be driven out of the way every time. It's always there, where I'd want to place the VF.

19. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Well, okay, I can understand that these ramps have a lot of hitpoints, but this is too much. It takes nearly forever. Reduce them to 2 bar perhaps. Or even less.
    It's not only, that it gives you access to other base to also you need to destroy it faster for defending and the way it is now, once the ramp is build the enemy has nearly garanted access to your base.
    You know what I mean? It is a strategical important structure, but you might give it on bar-long hitpoints because it can also be easilier destroyed.

20. jambo

jambo Member

lol , sometimes i try to get a scout to make his way up there , then i'll buid a brenodie barracks up there , its sloped sides make it almost impossible to see , they have no idea that grenades and rockets are about to rain down on them !