Underground turrets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by -Mayama-, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

BE Concept 1
    [​IMG]

2. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

researchable. Problem solved

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  3. Zombified

Zombified Member

Seconded.

Also, there where pop-up turrets in the HL2 mission Follow Freeman, so there shouldn't be any problems there

4. Chahk

Chahk Member

Make the "hidden" turret take half the damage against rockets/mortars/grenades/shells than an "exposed" turret, so that rocket sniping is still effective but will simply take more ammunition to destroy one. Call it "Level 4 Turrets" lol

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Those are built into the map, they don't work without a lot of rigging by the mapper.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

Pop-up turrets which were conveniently placed so you could roll a nade into them easily. :rolleyes:

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I say you have to choose between lvl3 or Under ground turrets. And give em the stats of a level2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  8. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Those look cool Vess.

And that is also nice idea. Underground turrets wouldn't be as powerful as normal turrets but you couldn't destroy them so easily.

9. Vaun

Vaun Member

Agreed, lvl 3 turrets are a pain as it is, pop up lvl 3s would be a suicide run to fight against. But still a great concept and good drawings to go on, now it just needs a model and coding.

10. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

You would have been better off using the pop-out turrets in Half-Life as an example. They were a single monster entity that was placed on the "edge" of the level, and the animation caused it to go inside the ceiling/floor and come out.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

As I see it, having these turrets be like a level 3 but with a hard cap would allow commanders to make a small element of their defence more or less arty proof, which would perhaps discourage making massive turret farms if the enemy is using arty, and encourage people to spend it on tanks instead.

12. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

To aviod a problem, lets have it so they wont open if a person or vehical is on them. Or close if someone jumps on. So if enemy infantry manage to get to the "safe Zone" of the top of the turret, it will enter it's defence mode.

These should also Have resistance to sabatoge when closed, like 4X sab time.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  13. Unit 1126 PLL

Unit 1126 PLL Member

Although I support the idea, I do think they're overdoing it on the defensiveness of it. 4x sab time is a bit long, and I can see it being resistant to weapons fire but not sabbing or deconstructing.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well actually until episode 2 empires comes out, you probably won't even be able to have them pop up, because model collision meshes can't be animated as far as I know in default HL2.

You'd have to make the turret and the base separate or something, I'm not sure.

Maybe a 2x sab time because it's basically a sealed unit when closed, or you could make it sab faster when open.

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Sabing is crazy fast I thought 4X wouln't be to bad but ok.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

4x is a bit much though, especially for a turret which doesn't have any nice hiding spots around it.

17. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

true... It'll be more like bait wouldn't it...

18. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

lol, actually I wouldnt change sab time, cause even though I despise scouts I feel we are trying too make an anti snipable turrent that can allow players too pass over it, NOT the ultimate defense. If we allready make them resistant too long range attacks making them resistant too sabbing and stuff is just....overkill in my opinion. (size or anything has never seemed too be a problem before, sabbing a VF from 1 box? I dont think underground turrents should have special play)

I really like the idea of just not opening when something is above it obstructing it, I was wondering what too do about turrents poping up right under your tanks but this solves it perfectly(so simple a solution I just keep saying "why didn't I think of that!" :p ).

19. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

It also allows for enemy Infantry to run up and stand on the MLs while thier apc rolls by.
    lol

20. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

i dont really think that will be an issue, most people put MGs next too MLs and you can allready stand in front of MLs too stop them from fireing at vehicles. And if the enemy is standing on an underground ML they have basically NO cover and will be shortly blown away if they can even make the D day distance too the turrent itself.