UGL APC's

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by JustGoFly, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I wish we could play a game of canyon without vehicles. Infantry combat always seems to be awesome on that map.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

emp_cdr_canyon_ob2

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

thats not without vehicles u dum

4. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Canyon with flags and no walls/l3's/vf's would be badass. Especially if it was that version on epic that starts out with full bases (maybe that's what tricker posted).

5. ImSpartacus

I said no vehicles, not no commander.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Canyon with a vehicle limit of 10 would be nice. That's how the map was originally played and it really accentuated the role of infantry back in the days of 16 vs 16 max. I think looking back now, there must have been something about the vehicle limit being 10 max that made Empires more fun, because even when mootant made it so you can have like 30 vehicles people still rarely touched tanks and well the gameplay was just different. We should test it out someday or something.

7. Trickster

The vehicles are plain armour and the resources are limited, that's basically no vehicles.

We had a limit of 10 vehicles during the 32v32 days, not 16. The whole reason that even happened was because of the player limit raise to 64 which kinda fucked over how the servers could perform. We went from being able to have 15 vehicles per team comfortably, to struggling with 10. I actually kinda liked having a low vehicle count as well, so I have to agree with you on that. It meant every vehicle was important to your team, meaning you had to make sure you got the most out of it. I'd love to try out reducing the vehicle count again to see how the gameplay ends up. Nowadays though, I imagine it just results in half the team camping the VF.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  8. ImSpartacus

Did you miss the "commander" part of my comment? FFS, it was the longest of only seven words.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Half the team camping the VF. It DID happen when we had a limit of 10. I can still remember that. Although lower vehicle count would "re"-introduce more tactics into the game, that might be a good thing.
    (e.g. don't kill an abandoned enemy jeep because it takes up 1 crucial vehicle slot...etc)

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well that's how it was back when there was the limit, people would wait in hard-collision line at the VF :p . We should definitely test out a PUG though with vehicle limit to see how it affects gameplay.

Hell yeah those were the days.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Don't we still have the server vars for limiting vehicles? I do crave for the days of seeing heavy tanks backed up by 2-3 soldiers and tanks ALWAYS having a rider in second seat.

12. Trickster

Yeah we do, and yeah I totally agree with you.

I would honestly love to try it out again, I just don't know how I can really "sell" having less vehicles on the field. Also keep in mind that the game used to be balanced for 10 vehicles max as well, which of course, it isn't now. Vehicles were stronger but quite a lot more expensive.

13. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

You know what would be cool? If there was a sort of test server (not the actual test version of empires) that just did as much dicking around with scripts and settings as possible, like make sure there is a noticeable change every week.

14. ViroMan

ya... its called epic server. Tricky makes changes there and if people like them it makes it to viper.

15. Trickster

Yeah, generally speaking, any dev stuff I wanted to test out I'd just use EPIC for to test the waters.

16. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Oh I never noticed because I avoid it like the plague.

It has also fallen in popularity compared to viper lately, I haven't seen anyone on epic for a while.

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I have HLSW open quite a lot and I'd say it is pretty split.
    It really depends entirely on where people start seeding.

18. ViroMan

Its the first 3-4 people that can get a server filled though too. If there are only 2-3 people on the server when I look I just can't bring myself to join. There are probably more with the same thinking though for sure this keeps a servers initial population low. Need bots in empires bad. Even if they are rather crude, they can help fix all sorts of problems.

19. ImSpartacus

The whole damn game should be that way.

Sure, experienced players would be shitting themselves with the unfamiliarity, but that's how new players feel all the time. If nothing else, it would even the playing field slightly.

20. ImSpartacus

UGL APCs are underated.

Just finished an infinite res match on canyon. I went through almost 20 APCs and easily lead my team in score.

They fucked around in heavies and arty, but I kept pumping APC after APC. I killed dozens of buildings. They couldn't get redundant VFs or radars up. Turret farms couldn't be built fast enough.

Empires is about killing buildings, not tanks or infantry. I think players forget that when they choose their vehicle of choice. UGL APCs are underrated.

Why do you schmucks build tanks instead of APCs?