Two Jeep Fixes

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BloodRaven, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Mmmmm, still don't like inconsistently applying a learned mechanic.

But I understand that the idea dies by technical difficulties regardless of our bickering.

It doesn't matter, it's a learning thing. Once a player learns that tires are vulnerable to bullets, they will fire at them to disable wheeled vehicles. Tires are tires (even if they really aren't).

It's a nearly perfect analog to the previous problem of learning that (entire) jeeps are vulnerable to bullets, but other vehicles (like tanks) are not. I appreciate Trickster patiently pointing that out to me.

You can't teach a player a mechanic, then not consistently apply that mechanic. It makes a game that much harder to learn. I think we can agree that Empires is difficult to learn. :p

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

(someone) 7 letters
    (viroman) 7 letters

I don't get it, is it so hard to spell my name?

1) Make jeep armor look like paper?
    2) Use HE cannon on them to make them catch fire
    3) lolz

3. ImSpartacus

Aside from making me smile, that would be ok. Paper jeeps it is.

[​IMG]

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i dont get how its not understandable that a SMG cannot damage a damn tank but an ordinary offroad-vehicle?
    they might not look produced by jeep but where in the world is the indication that they would be made of steel-armor instead of sheet metal?

5. ImSpartacus

They come from the same place (a VF). They are operated the same (w is the gas, you can steer, etc.).

Those might sound like brain-dead observations, but that's bread and butter for a new player. Noobies don't immediately get to sample all the vehicles. They might try one and assume the rest operate similarly.

I used to like vehicle training because I could just try out vehicles and see how they handled.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

He's right. If players can shoot jeep wheels, they won't see any reason they can't shoot the other vehicles' wheels. Which is why it's not appropriate. That and the massive coding and server resources it would require I guess.

I just scrolled through, didn't look at name of posters.

Keep going btw. The only idea I've had so far, is to have a 2nd RPG with homing but less damage. But even this seems like somewhat of a hackjob, so I'm still open to good ideas from elsewhere.

7. ImSpartacus

That's a neat idea in its own right. Gren is a bit stale to me, there's no variation (and therefore limited strategy). Another RPG would be neat, especially if it utilizes an already learned mechanic (homing).

If you guys have a spare RPG model lying around, that might be a nice addition.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. ViroMan

I agree I like the homing idea. It may seem like a hack job but, it would improve the potency of the gren class. Lock on then shoot... lock on then shot. Heavy tanks don't have to worry too much over a gren class unless they are close because they might be able to dodge the rpg. If it was a heat seeking rpg, regardless of less dmg, they would see more danger in a gren due to him being a mobile ML turret.

9. flasche

comment the line of code that allows for turbo - not the script variable - turbo problem solved.

also because it just fits so good. if jeeps have turbos, i find it totally unintuitve that i cant turbo those racecar heavies ...

10. Trickster

Not that I don't think it can be done, but it's a little more complicated than that. It just uses the HL2 stuff, hence I managed to get turning turbo working by finding lines of script that have never been in the Empires scripts, but were in the hl2 jalopy.

11. flasche

override the method ...

12. Trickster

As I said, not impossible, just not as simple as you thought. And it more than likely won't happen though.

13. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

When you research 'projectile physics'
    you get bullets that penetrate jeep armor

14. Trickster

You do. They're called Depleted Uranium Machine Gun, for vehicles. But of course, that isn't what you meant. But I'm going to act like I don't know that.

15. ImSpartacus

To get back on topic, I was thinking about Empires while taking my 3-hour tour of hell DiffEq Exam.

What if we made vehicles damage themselves when they hit each other?

It could be communicated by a flash or blink at the corners of the screen or other psuedo shaky-cam effect. It is important to communicate this stuff to the player.

Tanks and APCs could take minimal (but noticeable) damage from impacts. Jeeps on the other hand could get a large portion of their health lopped off (half? two thirds? all of it?) when they touch another vehicle.

This would basically kill off the problem of jeeps shoving other vehicles. Shove my heavy and you fucking die.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

they do take damage when they hit stuff, you might have seen when an NF light with no front armor and is blinking red/yellow hits a wall and instantly explodes, or when a jeep turbos into another jeep that is blinking.

17. ImSpartacus

But the damage is basically a rounding error. It's pitifully small.

I'm wondering what would happen if it were increased for jeeps.

Perhaps jeeps could also take a small amount of damage when running over footsoldiers? Certainly not a considerable amount, but something noticeable.

18. ViroMan

25 hull dmg per impact?

19. harryhoot1

harryhoot1 Member

researching projectile physics will allow infantry bullets to hurt jeeps

physics could use a buff

20. flasche

because we havnt seen single-research-pires enough yet?