Two Jeep Fixes

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by BloodRaven, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I disagree on the problems it would cause.

Right now we have players dropping pennies into a VF and getting a death machine.

If jeeps get damaged by bullets, HMG will see a boost in usage. It might even become useful in vehicle maps (gasp!).

Is it really the HMG-jeep interaction that scares you or just increased HMG usage?

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Increase in HMG usage to some extent, but it's also the unintuitiveness of it. I guarantee you that people will start shooting other tanks more, just like people STILL RPG buildings, even though the damage is virtually negligible. I'm open to solutions with jeeps, but bullets hurting it isn't one of them, it's that simple.

3. ImSpartacus

Fair enough. I didn't think of the shooting tanks thing. You win.

So I guess we're going to get more of the same jeep threads... Trickster, I don't know how you still visit the suggestion section. You should have self esteem problems by now.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i find it totally reasonable that small arms cant damage tanks but jeeps ...

5. ImSpartacus

Nah, he's right about machine guns and vehicles. It's a learning thing. Remember all that talk about making Empires a simpler, more approachable game? This kinda buttfucks that.

But I just got an idea. Is it possible to change the resistance of a jeep passenger? Could bullet resistance be halved (or something) when players are in jeeps?

That way you actually have to hit the passenger (no intuitiveness problem!), but jeeps still go down easy (no gameplay problem!)

6. Trickster

Problem with that is that hitting people in jeeps so random and unbalanced across the 2 jeeps. And actually, I thought earlier, I can't actually do this in the scripts at the moment. There has only been a short period when I could, when for a few versions, every single vehicle had a separate armour, i.e. nf heavy compo, nf medium compo. They were all identical, but it was to give the usage of changing them individually for finer balancing. But it proved a bitch to update when you wanted to change an armour attribute which needed changing on all of them, and you had to fill it out like 10 times. And I wouldn't want that re-added for this anyway. One day, I hope we have a system whereby it uses the main values unless you specifically add the lines of the changes you want to make in an area afterwards, to override the main ones. But this is irrelevant to this argument.

And overall, my arguments are based on fact, whereas yours is based on the concept of not wanting to change it due to a presumed bias towards one of the options. I'm not being an ass about this, I'm just saying, that is what this has essentially boiled down to. The last 5 posts between us have basically been saying the same things over and over again. And someone is wrong on the internet, so I will never sleep again unless I fix it.

7. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Turbo jeeps do have a place in empires even if it's just a plugin, but parachutes don't, I think that's the only thing you shouldn't have put on your server.

8. Trickster

I hate them but, there's so much bitching if you don't have them, it's just not worth it. Not all of the bitching is even from people who like it, just people who are used to it and keep losing health. I've at least tried more realistic versions of it, with full falldamage, to keep some level of tactics.

9. ImSpartacus

Cool off brah, I apologize for ruffling your feathers, that was not my intention. For the record, I already conceded two posts ago. Everything is right and just on the internet, you're allowed to sleep.

If it helps at all, I brought cookies.

10. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

It's not not intuitive, since the jeep is open to bullets. Also no noob will notice he did not actually hit the driver/passenger due to bad hit detection.

11. Krazer

Krazer Member

We just need to remove turbo, it's completely retarded. But I guess that's the server owners' fault.

12. Trickster

As I said earlier, I'd love to remove it from my own server, but I just can't now. It's so ingrained into the current playerbase that they just whine and moan if it isn't on, and then leave. It's hard enough as it is, there's still bitching about no damage indicator.

The issue is that noobs will then start shooting APCs, AFV/LTs, Artillery tanks, Medium tanks, Heavy tanks and the CV.

13. Apex

Apex Member

Add damage for all vehicle machine guns & and add a little description for the jeep in the vehicle menu about the jeep's vulnerability? Worst comes to worst you have to give up your biomg for a chaingun or std. MG to stop BE's fruitloop from wearing your side's tanks as a hat.

14. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

What about just a separate damage box for each of the wheels. Make it so you can shoot the tires and make them go flat.

15. Trickster

Genuinely not a horrendous idea.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

except a shit ton more crap for the server to track. get about 14 afv/apc and see what happens to server. Then I would LOVE to see what happens on the physics on client side when it tries to emulate flat tires.

17. ImSpartacus

Then you'd have to do the same for APCs, otherwise we'd have players shooting tires on all vehicles in an attempt to flatten them.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

flattening tires, what is this, firearms? where you jump from a highpoint and break your leg so you start walking slower.

19. Trickster

Yeah, but I don't have a huge issue with that, especially seeing as they have more wheels. But as someone earlier said, a massive amount of overhead would be needed.

20. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Not really......real apcs have run flat tires, some have solid rubber tires, and are resistant to damage from small arms. But could always make Run flats a research thing.