turret upgrades

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by SwampRat, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

but spys sappin mah sentry, killx

2. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

scouts sabbin mah sentry

3. Geese Howard

Geese Howard Member

Cause you know, those guns are more like turrets then sentry guns. It really doesn't matter what you call them, since everyone knows what you mean.|

Didn't know upgrading them cost resources, that's news to me.

4. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Spy's sappin ma-Sentry down!

5. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

i dont see why they should cost money- if it's to act as a turret spam deterrent, it's a rather poor deterrent seeing as how engineers are going to keep building them no matter what. All this res cost does is make 'em build turrets and take away resources for tanks, and force the team to rely on turrets even MORE. It's a vicious cycle, imo. Most of the people currently playing aren't going to consider the cost analysis of turret over tank... they're just gonna keep spamming. If people REALLY wanted to lower engineer turret spam, they could get rid of the second extra turret at level 4- but this isn't needed, because engineer based turret spam isn't really an issue. Commander-based, yes.

6. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

If its not removed then it should at least be clear to the engineer that its going to cost his team for him to upgrade (isn't it the only way to spend res with no indication that its being spent?).

That said, I think it should just be removed, (that or add a cost of 2 res for a rifleman being shot when using dig in, 3 res for a grenadier to drive over a mine with defuse and 2 res for a scout to kill someone with silencer - All small costs as they're more frequent, but it would give every class a random/sneaky way to lose resources).

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

only reason people callling turrets sentries bugs me is because so many people have criticized Empires as having ripped off TF2, and it ticks me off. As far as I'm concerned, as well as chunk of the Empires community, TF2 stole a few ideas from Empires, like the build PDA.

8. 1033

1033 Member

I really don't see any point to this either. Your turret shouldn't cost anything. You also have to factor in rebuilding of turrets. That could get really annoying when someone tries to build a tank or something lol. I wonder if this was intentional or just something that was forgotten about...

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i think that too killx, kinda annoying.

yeah, why does it cost money? can anyone even justify that?

10. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

To digress a bit...

I though of a gun turret as tall structure with a gun on it. Think the original Command and Conquer, or Dune II. They had gun turrets

Turret
    1. a small tower, usually one forming part of a larger structure.
    2. a small tower at an angle of a building, as of a castle or fortress, frequently beginning some distance above the ground.

So I'm sticking with sentry gun in Empires.

Oh and if you didn't know, the Scout doesn't have a sniper rifle, it's a bolt-action scoped rifle. Not the same thing apparently :eek:

11. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

Its 30 res, you get that back in a few seconds on any map. Its not a huge drain.

Who cares, really? Nobody at Valve, or at least anyone who counts, would have noticed empires enough to steal anything.

12. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I say remove the cost and add a slow regeneration for the turret.

13. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Who cares if ''stealing'' makes a better game?
    (and no, I don't mean stealing models).

14. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

As far as i know thats how you search for inspiration, look at everyone that does something in a way that can be usefull for your own product. And in the "comentary" mode of tf2 say talk about intregrating a comm into the game but they failed to make it fun to be the comm.

15. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

It could be annoying in a few cases, though, like when your last res node or barracks just got destroyed and you need to build another one fast. 30 res can occasionally make a difference.

But the real issue is that there's no indication that you're spending it; even many experienced players don't know about it (as evidenced by the reaction in this thread). That's simply bad. Either it should be made obvious somehow, or removed; and my opinion is that it's small, fiddly, and doesn't really add anything to the game, so the best option would be to remove it.