Tickets please

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Vessboy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Ever run out of tickets? Sucks huh. Your now gonna spend 7 or more minutes watching the rest of your team die. Do you deserve this? A map has to end. Do you belong in purgatory? There needs to be a penalty for dieing.

My suggestion is simply to make spawning without tickets take 20-25 seconds, and the 5 minute timer starts to trigger your com(not your enemy's) into sudden death mode. Thus A penalty is served and everyone gets to play till the end. Then if bolth teams are in suddendeath for 2 minutes the match ends in a tie.

Pros:
    -Every one gets to play untill the end of the match

Cons:
    -fear of death lessend?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Sounds pretty good :) .

3. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Good idea Vess, good idea.

4. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

That's an ok idea. The Dystopia mod seems to have a respawn rate depend on how many of your team has recently died, with the respawn delay increasing the more of your team has died recently. It's something like for every one more of your team that dies over the next 5 seconds that you wait to respawn, 5-10 more seconds is added.
    So if you all die in a mad rush, the respawn timer can get set back to like 45 seconds, but if someone dies, and no one else for a 5 seconds, then you respawn without delay.

5. No. 6

No. 6 Member

I'd like to see better death effects in general. Like your screen fading into red or instantly turning black with complete loss of sound. Something creepy that makes you not want to die.

6. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Tickets are stalemate breakers, the whole point of being out of tickets is to stop people from respawning and continuing a lost game. Even a single player can take revive and bring back his hole team.

7. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I don't like this. If your team don't revive and loose all tickets, they deserve to wait until other team wins. Revive should be enough, after all tickets have been spent.

I don't mind spectating the game to the end, if it's not possible to revive me. After all, it doesn't take long, if people don't use revive effectively.

8. Starcitsura

Starcitsura Member

Right now a com occasionally will recycle the barracks to prevent from going into stalemate, this will happen more frequently if this idea is implemented.

9. flounder

flounder Member

Making it 50 seconds brings the annoyance factor back. I think making the CV go into sudden death alone is a great idea, and an increased spawn timer is icing on the cake.

The current ticket system is a poorly thought out concept "borrowed" from BF 1942. Doesn't make for fun endings most of the time.

10. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I agree, but I just don't like sudden death as a mechanic. It's too random about whether someone manages to reach your comm or not, and it encourages/rewards weird strategies like trying to stop your team from spawning when at 1 ticket by recycling all your refs. Don't try to solve that, please; it just gets stupider with the "no spawns in 2 minutes = END GAME NAO". The problem is that the whole system is unintuitive and encourages unintuitive gameplay, making too much dependent on oddball mechanics.

Honestly, you want to break stalemates? Add a time-limit to maps. Time runs out, map ends in a draw. It works for most other FPSes. Perfect? No. But these mechanics aren't really making the game any more fun, or adding new strategy, or anything like that. Tickets fail, because they don't discourage players from burning them until they've run out, and provide an unsatisfying end to matches when it does come down to tickets, often dependent more on which team had more noobs or whatever than on which team played better overall.

That's not a good ending. If you want to say "screw this, the match has gone on for too long", just be honest about it and include a hard time limit.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You can't tell when a match has gone on too long, time does not equal a stalemate. The tickets are a last resort, the fact that you're experiencing a lot of games ending in tickets is most likely caused by other imbalances along the road, which also seem to have a negative effect on the game when it does actually end in tickets, as in, when one team does run out of tickets, the games imbalances still cause the stalemate to continue, which can ultimately cause ticket endings to turn from a last stand into a anti climax.

Don't talk about tickets being unintuitive when your suggestion is a freaking time limit, talk about unintuitive...

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, tickets are stalemate makers.

Stalemates are fun when you can get in a tank, drive around, blow some dudes up, get blown up, then do it all over again, in fact I wouldn't call that a stalemate any more than I would the fighting involved in a game of capture the flag, fighting is fun.

However both sides turtling in and being super cautious and not taking risks isn't fun, and nothing causes that more than tickets.

If you want to end a game, give everyone a tank and tell them to fight until they either die or kill the enemy commander, don't make them sit and wait while people turtle to keep the comms safe. Escalate the game, give more people more tanks, the more firepower on the field the more unstable the game will be. Increase resource output the longer the game continues, add some super armors or something for very late game research, make it so that everyone can have a heavy with the equivalent of full reactive, dual rails, and defusal/armor detection, you get two teams of super tanks fighting each other, even if only one of them is left standing it will be enough to tip the balance in the favour of that team and win the match.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  13. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Three words: Griefers' fields day.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That isn't a very good argument, if people want to grief they'll find a way to do it, comm griefing is already piss easy, you won't make it much easier by making the comm easier to kill.

15. GoodGame

GoodGame Member

I disagree. Trench warfare can be fun as long as the battle lines are fluid. The point where it becomes un-fun is on the conquest maps where the sudden death mode is removed and both sides have dropped their tickets to zero. I've seen battles like that go on 5-10 minutes past the point where both sides have zero tickets.

A form of sudden death for conquest maps would be a good idea, if the maps allow engineer buildables. Taking away engineer buildables is the other solution for conquest maps.

Tickets are a good way of rewarding better skill and attrition, even when the other team has the strategic upper hand.

That won't have bearing on conquest maps, which is when tickets tend to have a greater strategic importance.

16. OuNin

OuNin Member

The endgame is the second least most fun part of being an infantryman next to ballistics push.

17. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I figured Due to a recent topic this deserves a resurface.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

oh shit and i really used the search function before i posted my topic. oh well guess noones perfect.

k vess, obviously im on your side. tho i think my spawn system is tad better than yours :D

19. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

This is just a bad game mechanic. Half the team waitig for 5 minutes cause thier team mates are doing the right thing and fighting to the end.
    [​IMG]

20. Morcam

Morcam Member

I like this idea, although it could go even higher.