Tic-tac-toe: war edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Aurora, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Intresting little game. Reminds me of when I made myself this awesome unbreakable secret-code system when I got bored one day.

P.S: It needs lvl 3 turrets!

2. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

w00t helporz!!!
    Bodrick - Cool. I've got a kind of chasis on my laptop that I will send to you. My Chat thing should be finished by today - I've only got one thing to overcome. One of my frineds who knows python has offered to help aswell, so if KillX (or whichever chicken he is at the moment ;))'s friend helps that makes four of us. We will all ned to meet in IRC or something at some point to discuss things. Oh btw... It WILL be open source :D

3. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I get home from work at around half 5 today, I suggest we meet in #tttpython.
    Or on the empires channel :p
    Currently, I've got it displaying a screen with 80x80 little boxes, and a cursor that you can move around with the arrow keys. Doesn't do anything more than that atm :D

4. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

http://rafb.net/p/etFyXo17.html

This will draw 4 boxes, one in each corner. It doesn't have a fixed size of box - you can change it by changing the resolution variable - it represents the number of squares per side. But it doesn't draw a grid, can take no input and is craply commented (read: not commented)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breaking News Just In: TheBoff has figured out how to do what he wants with the twisted networking framework. This means that his wierd IM should be done fairly soon and he can therefore start work on the game.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  5. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

ARGH TEH LACK OF COMMENTZ :headshot:

I can't get to my code at the moment, but I think I've done it slightly differently to you :p

I doubt I'll be able to get the rules put in, it would be more of a board that you play the game on, as supposed to an actual game.

6. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

hmmmm K...
    I'll admit, it needs alot of commenting. I thought you'd do it slightly differently to me :D
    Well if you do get that up and running, and take all the credit form the community ;) I'll try and write a version that can implement rules. The way I did it with my last project was to use a multi-dimensional array to hold information about the grid. However for this I think the best thing to to do would be to use a dictionary that takes tuple arugemnts as a kind of fake one. That way it stops empty squares taking up any memory and you don't have to do anyting to define it.

7. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

The way I am planning on doing it is using sprites and an array. e.g. 0 = blank square, 1 = X, 2 = XAirport, 3 = XRef, 4 = XOutpost etc

Then I guess you could do some sort of jiggery-pokery to check that if you try to put down an X it has to be next to either a 1,2,3 or 4, and that they are linked to outposts/base. I wouldn't know how to start doing that :D

8. TheBoff

TheBoff Member

Oh can you do it like that... That's basically what I meant, but with other libraries you have to have to have a grid that's seperate form the drawing system as it were...

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i have happily, and finally, settled on Suicide Chicken (now with 40% more C4!)

10. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

11. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

Updated the rules; added missile silo to building list.

Here's for the coders...

Feature requests

Allow multiple players; something like 16. Players could choose their team, of which there would be 8 different. Then they choose from a list of symbol shapes and colours. When players choose these, they drop away from the list to prevent two players from having the same symbol/colour. Alternatively, the admin could set that players of the same teams either have the same colours, or the same symbols (but not both of course), to make it easier to recognize whoever belongs in whatever team.

A turn-timelimit option would be useful. It would end a player's turn after a chosen amount of time, even if he hasn't used up his moves. Setting the option to 0 would disable the timelimit. Another option, "team turns", would allow all the players of a team to simultaneously use their moves. At the same time, the turn-timelimit would limit the team's time to do their moves to the set time amount.

Then we need an "allow team connections" checkbox. When enabled, all the players of a team would be treated as a single entity. Therefore, if player A and player B are in team 1, and player A and B are connected through symbols, player A could draw an A symbol around a B symbol, and vice versa.

Three options for starting place locations would be neat as well; 1. admin chooses, 2. players choose, 3. default. Default would place them evenly in rows on opposite sides.

When a symbol is placed in a square that is in the reach of an airfield, but not connected to any unisolated symbols, it should display an animation where the symbol flies from the airfield to the chosen square. An airplane's sound could also be played briefly.

When a building gets blown up, or a symbol is placed on the opponent's symbol, an explosion sound + animation should play in each destroyed square. Destroyed squares should also have a light gray background.

On every turn, available squares (squares in which a symbol could be placed in) should be light blue. This would be player-specific and only the players themselves would see their own available area when their turn comes, except if the team connections thing is enabled.

To use a missile silo, a player must select it first. If there are two silos with overlapping ranges, and the player fires in the area where the ranges overlap, the game can't otherwise know from which silo the missile was fired from.

12. KILLX

KILLX Banned

why not make this a 2D game, and use images of buildings?

13. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

That question made no sense.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Damn, all this time I was playing in four dimensions! I wondered why this was taking so long...

15. KILLX

KILLX Banned

i mean instead of symbols, make it real 2D with images

16. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Yeah you are right, that width dimension is only a fake at the moment.

:p

17. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Would it be possible to have custom symbols in the pc version, like the button editor for MS word.

Also many Kudos to JJ45, this is perfect for those boring lessons.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  18. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Probably, would make it a lot harder to do though :D

I'm just about to start coding in the end of round stuff.

19. flatmush

flatmush Member

I have one problem at the minute, there needs to be a way of reclaiming destroyed ground somehow, maybe make it take up 1 turn to reclaim and one turn to change to yours.

I also have some suggestions, I would say there should be more options for maps. Currently my game allows a texture to represent the map, and a grid to define starting points and squares that are unbuildable.

I am currently using graphics (if you can call them that) that I cooked up in mspaint, if anyone wants to draw some nice icons (where 1 square is 16x16 or in binary intervalse above) then that might help both coding projects.

Also is there a rule as to how many factories can run off a single generator yet, or does that not matter.

Also the silo seems a little too big and overkill, it would work on _very_ big games, but on maps that may only be 32x32 they will never have any use.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  20. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

What about an engineer block which has to be on a line connected to a generator and a factory (within so many spaces or something) and can regenerate dead squares for a cost of 2 symbols and 5 resources