The Tanks in this game have inspired me

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by madog, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Jn.

Jn. Member

Someone's deeply in love with mechs I see :D Mech games aren't simulations simply because they don't exist. To my understanding, simulations, well, simulate things that exist, like flying planes or driving cars. You can't make something, that no one knows how it works, realistic. Sure, you can make it act how you think it would act based upon factual properties and whatnot, but until someone actually builds a mech and walks it around, you can't simulate it. Also, you don't use your imagination for a simulation :) You use your imagination for things like..................mechs!!! Meh, they're just walking shoeboxes with lasers.

P.S. Yes, a mech could step on a tank, but a tank could roll over the mech's toes, crushing them, thusly making it like the one in the video earlier posted, or making it fall over :D

2. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Gimpy Mech ftw

3. madog

madog Member

I will admit it, the first 3d game I ever owned was mechwarriror2 for dos. Since then they have seemed to take away from the game in every consecutive sequel and it pisses me off. The game is a simulation because you have to manage your heat and ammo and damage and ECT. (Unless the rules are changed to "altered reality" aka no heat unlimited ammo, which I think takes away from the game) it’s like a tank simulation but cooler. If that game could do in multiplayer what it did in single player I personally think it would be classic.

4. madog

madog Member

"Yes, a mech could step on a tank, but a tank could roll over the mech's toes, crushing them, thusly making it like the one in the video earlier posted, or making it fall over"

a reall mechwarrior would not let a tank run over its toes. haha :)

5. madog

madog Member

also, (sorry for the triple post, its a different thought) if you have ever played the aformentenoned games you would see that this mod empires tanks use ideas from battletech games like heat and even the customization/weapon group options. Everyone likes the tanks (except for maybe the tank turret lag) in this game, when the vf gets built every noob/expert runs to spawn a tank. so back to my ORIGINAL question, dont you think a tank/mech based game (with infantry for support) would be fun.

6. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Seriously, they are only realistic as "enhanced" infantry. A small battle suit. Not some multi-story monster, just yet...

Also, Fox, those are supposed to be Fusion reactors... I too think its just a wee bit retarded...

-Sheepe

7. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Fusion reactors would require a temperature of at least one million degrees Celcius or one Gigakelvin or something around there to be sustained merely to break even. Something like three-million results in the ideal output. You end up using magnets in the shape of a torus to contain the plasma, and those would not survive combat. They require precise positioning to prevent the leakage of energy. Furthermore, a fusion reactor would not explode; containment of the plasma would simply be lost, it would fizzle out pretty quickly, and the fusion of Deuterium would halt.

So, yes. A wee bit, Sheepe. A wee bit.

Even as a powered combat suit, that's quite a few billion dollars you're throwing on that one soldier, there. Frankly, I don't think the U.S. Military (or many other militaries) would consider that very cost-effective.

8. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Then tell that to them, they're currently doing something very similar... and the only issue with these becoming reality is power. A mobile energy source powerful enough...

-Sheepe

9. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

All of the joints on a mech are increadable weak spots, no armor can protect against just a little bit of fire on those spots...

Same thing as tank tracks, but a bit weaker...

I think that the mechwarrior series lost its touch after the 3rd one, the mechs started feeling just like armored suits not 5 story hulking machines; I want the earth to shake with each step; and my neck to nearly snap with each one taken, not fly around like a little fairy sprinkling magic dust...

The size of the mechs depicted in mech warrior, is just way too large; but infantry sized ones (rougly4-5 meters) I think that is possible...

Stepping on a tank would do nothing, except maybe break its upper turret, it will be like trying to step on a wallnut...

Tanks on the other hand could ram into the legs at high speed, killing everyone inside from the impact, but possibly tipping the mech or atleast damaging the feet significantly

10. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

That movie was slightly retarded.. I laughed when I saw the limping mech.. what a joke!

11. Jn.

Jn. Member

I was thinking the same thing......................................

I thought mechs looked cool though. That one that looks like a human is stupid :P At least I think there was one that looked like a human. Something as tall as a 2-3 story house, that looks like a helicopter with legs is a cool mech. Not a power ranger mech :D

12. madog

madog Member

definately lost its touch after the 3rd one. also no one answered the question. you dont know how to read or what?

13. Jn.

Jn. Member

We don't have to answer your questions.

14. madog

madog Member

whatever, whats the point of a discussion. thank you for reminding me that discussing topics on a forum of random people is as boring and pointless as it is anywhere else.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Can you please recap the question... I have shitty memory... even though I rember the HP, damage, and names of nearly all starcraft units... O.o

I need help :'(

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

What the hp and damage of a deployed seige tank and what is the ratio of its damage to a Zealot's HP?

-Sheepe

17. Jn.

Jn. Member

...................o_0 Ok time for work :(

18. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Hp is shit.. 150... damage is 20 for deployed 8 for non... Zealot.. urgh... Psi Blade damage 16... hp 100 shields 60 I think...

Not sure...

EDIT:

WOOT: Got the zealot right on :D, the tank only the hp right >.< Stats for tank deployed - (150hp,70dmg)

So deployed it would roughly take 3 shots to kill a zealot as a deplyed seige tank...

Ratio: 160:70 Simplified 16:7 Decimal: 2.28

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  19. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Wow, that is kinda sad, but amusing none the less...

Even I coulda told you that the tank's damage deployed is around 80

-Sheepe

20. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I dont play terran >.> TOSS FOR THE WIN WOO TOSS TOSS TOSS!!!

*Straps on glow sticks on arms and goes harrasing little kids*