The Tanks in this game have inspired me

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by madog, Jun 20, 2006.

1. madog

madog Member

Hi, this is the first time i have posted. and i think this game is coming out great. in perticular the tanks. Finally i see that it is infact possible to mod a battletech/mechwarrior mod with halflife. I just have one question to everyone who reads this, its not to serious but here it goes.

Would anyone be interested in a mechwarrior/tank mod? similar to this, but instead of resource nodes just a limited tonnage each team or person would be allowed per game?

emphasis would be put on keeping your mech alive as long as possible while moving with your lancemates to complete a map specific objective.

think mechwarrior 3 or 2, but with auctual teamwork and objectives to complete with them.

2. Jimather

Jimather Member

3. madog

madog Member

I was just throwing this out there here because people on these boards have used the tanks in this game. And i was trying to see if anyone thinks mech/tank based game play would be fun.

4. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Wow, so many mech-based modifications have risen and fallen over the years... *reminisces*

Me, I can't stand mechs. Or at least, I can't stand them when they're presented as realistic. Such an awful design.

5. madog

madog Member

there is a difference between realistic and a simulation. And then theres ones like armored core, armored core was great but its just not the same type of fun as good old mw.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

it would be an insane task to make a real mech have any kind of balance; they are just too top heavy, i mean humans are basically the only 2 legged animals (most other primates walk on arms and legs) and the rest use tails to help balance while even we have most of our muscle power in our legs jsut for stablesation.

but mechs in games to kick ass and i am a fan of most mech based games just cause they look cool.

7. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

I wouldn't be interested in a mechwarrior mod but I would like a serious warmech mod. None of that silly japano ninja robots.

8. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

None seem to think that a what? 20 tonn+ mech can sprint and run oh and even jump :D without any fault...

In real life a signle missle hit to the torso would send it toppling over...

I would like to see someone that finaly realises that even if they are made... they are shit heavy.

In modern combat, most veichles try to cling to the ground as low as possible (Its easier to hit something very tall)

Mech's would probably see combat in the near future as just infatry suits; nothing larger then a jeep... Think something along the tribes suits or the loader from Alien...

9. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

[​IMG]

AHHH!! THE NINJA ROBOTS!!!

-Sheepe

10. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

*pokes it*.... wtf wheres meh robot pirates? Teh pirates>ninjas. Argh!

11. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

Pirates are awesome. I could've sworn I had something about them on my computer, aswell as Ninjas; but I have forgotten.

Anyway; a mech game looks cool.. but I've never played one. Mechs are neat in C&C

12. Jimather

Jimather Member

its all about the materials you use to build one. i reckon a mechwarrior would be possible in real life but A: we havent even discovered the right material let alone know how to form it and B: it would cost more than a country to build and there would never really be an excuse to use it.

Balance is not an issue. we already have machines that can balance themselves. Of course if a big enough missile hit it, it might fall over but A: It should have missile destroying chain guns similar to battleships, B: It would be built to withstand falling over C: The missile is probably going to destroy it anyway just like any other war machine.

13. Tarantio

Tarantio Member

How about a mech so heavily armamented with SOOO many guns that shoot missiles, shells and large bullets that ALL of its guns do that and it doesnt actually attack anything else apart from the things shooting at it...

14. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

There was a time, I'm sure, when those who dictated the rules of military science determined that those dratted flying machines would never be useful.

My flying machine pwns your whole army.

Also, I'd like to see a single RPG move 20 tons. I really would.

And on another note, it all depends on how you build it. If you build it like a human is built, it won't last five minutes. If you reverse the direction of the knee joint, mess with the proportions of the legs, and make the torso SQUAT as opposed to huge, then the thing should balance just fine. Basically, if you build it like a sports car as opposed to an SUV, it's not going to tip over quite so easily.

Oh, if the feet are wide (or have "toes" that go out wide away from the torso), then it's going to have an even easier time resisting being tipped over.

15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

But what can a mech do that a tank, aircraft carrier, boat, or airborne vehicle can't? It's not like it's capable of going places they can't, or wielding weapons that cannot be wielded otherwise. The mechanical complexity alone offsets any benefits it would offer.

16. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Rapid intra-city combat. Plus, its damn cool. Also, just because we probably won't be needing it didn't stop the US DOD from spending $3 billion + on developing a new set of Cruisers. Also, I don't think very large ones will be used, I'm thinking armored infantry mostly...

-Sheepe

17. madog

madog Member

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  18. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

HA HA. Oh, god the voice at the beginning is hilarious. It's like Law and Order: Giant Robots Division. And the nuclear fission reactor in a mech (or what I assume is one; I can think of no other power supply that would go critical like that)? Holy hell, you couldn't get me to go within a mile of that thing.

And once again, what exactly did they do there that couldn't be accomplished with a much more mechanically simple tank? If you're going to tell me that a tank is incapable of traversing that rubble, you're nuts. And then, there's also the fact that combat is not heading in the direction depicted there.

Yeah, yeah, mechs are visually appealing, but they are not realistic, and anything that portrays them as realistic drives me insane.

19. madog

madog Member

they are just better, they fuckin step on tanks. also the lazers they use are as big as tanks, a tank would not have the power supply to use them. the point of them is that you only need a small squad to cover/destroy huge areas. who ever said they were supposed to be realistic? you think the teleporters in natural selection is realistic? if you cant handle the thought of a mechwarrior game being a simulation, then you have no imagination and i dont know how you ever get off your high horse to play any videogame.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  20. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Heh. Lasers. :p