The state of the infantry game

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Paradox, Nov 9, 2014.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yes of course the damn scout rifle. Why should I check my facts? This is partially what this thread about. And all those discussions about it have led nowhere so far.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

ITT people comment on the gameplay of a game they don't play

3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well as far as I've noticed not much has changed on the scout rifle since I last played. And the complaints are still the same. They've been the same for years.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Dude, the scout rifle has been gone since Spartacus's first patch. That's what they're saying.

It was a good change, too.

5. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Welp, my bad. Thanks for pointing it out. That makes that one bug report about a hole in the scout rifle scope an absolute non-priority.

6. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Imspartacus his silence speaks volumes. I can hear your ass clench spartacus

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. Neoony

Neoony Member

Not sure if I would consider that a problem.

That might be one of the reasons why I dont like BF much, because it is trying to make everything easier for the player.

Seeing bullet impact a ground is completely sufficient to know where you are hitting.

Even if this would be a problem, it could be easily solved.

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I dont know howd you want to have impact particles be visible from across the map though

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

Whats their max range? (cannons/rockets still explode at far range I think)
    Maybe just bullet hole decal?

I dont really remember how the "current" scout rifle looked, wasnt the impact visible there? I think it was, if I remember correctly.

Its how it also works in many other games.

But anyway, I dont think this is ever gonna happen in empires, so I dont really see any point in discussing further, just btw.

10. Z100000M

The normal weapons? Do they even have any? I mean i remember sniping people across the map with nfar and p1 back in 2.12 and sr was capable of that as well.
    I dont think cns and mls explode either, i always got the feeling that its only map borders that make them explode. Maybe you could make the rpg self detonate after juggling the round for some time but i think thats about it.

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

lol

We were talking about particles, so not about the range of the weapons.
    Why do you think the particles wouldnt be visible?
    Because they will not be rendered at very long range?
    Or because you are somehow unable to see the impact particle while looking through the scope after taking a shot?
    :confused:
    Cannons probably not, but mls at least from a turret do explode after a bit of time of travelling. (not sure about homing/rpg, or if its the same thing)
    And yes, they explode at map border.

But thats absolutely not related to what Iam talking about.
    I was talking about at how far are the particles rendered, because Iam under the impression that thats what you meant when asking "howd you want to have impact particles be visible from across the map though"

So....What do you mean EXACTLY by saying "howd you want to have impact particles be visible from across the map though" ??? :confused:

lol :D

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I giggle a bit when people talk about how new shotty gives new players an edge. It really doesn't in a way. Know why? Because you have the same weapons. You have better map awareness. You most likely have better reaction time. You have map knowledge which means you know where people will pop up from. I'm sorry to say, but this seriously sounds like a case of get good. Unless you haven't actually played with other people yet?

I can't comment on how it affects comm matches because there really hasn't been one since patch, but even on district which you would think would make the shotty a rape train it wasn't for new players. Vets, yes they knew how to work it, but newer players didn't really do much better than when they had regular rifles.

About scoped shots, I know you can see a bullet hole when you shoot the ground at a distance. I swear, weapons in empires have much better feedback then in arma, makes using weapons in that game annoying. Oh, and I've seen cannon shot explode on a buildings that weren't actually being rendered before because they were that far out from me. I think there's an option somewhere that increase the visible range of particles.

13. Z100000M

How about the fact that impact particles would be miniscule and therefore hardly noticable at range?
    Even now they are completely invisble most of the time.

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

lol, so true
    In arma it just seems invisible randomly, sometimes there is just pure nothing after taking a shot, but sometimes there is a clear impact. (probably different materials or something in that way, not sure)

And yeah, the particles can be seen on very high distances in empires, from what I recall. So that shouldnt be a problem.

15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

To answer your reaction lazybum this is why I posted it in there, I deducted security and mister scripter who invented the weapon both implied luck adds to the chance of a new player killing a vet thus making it easyer for new players. So I put it in there that I disagree with spartacus his oppinion.

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

The fact that pixels are moving is enough.
    + you got a scope

Simply, in my opinion it should be plenty visible.
    The best would be to try the scout rifle ingame now and just imagine its shooting a bit lower.

Or the particle can be made visible.

How is this a problem?
    There are many easy workarounds if this would really be a problem.

Just seems very insignificant.

17. Lazybum

Shotgun doesn't feel like luck though. It is hit and win or miss and die. Older shotgun might feel a bit like luck sometimes, but new one removes all doubt because of the ridiculous damage it does at close range.

Like if you use what sparty said as an argument you should have been against the older shotgun, at least that's how I feel about it.

18. Neoony

Neoony Member

hmm

That makes me think, is the problem of new players in the game balance or rather in the communitys behaviour?

Is changing something in game balance gonna really affect anything about new players?

Not saying yes, not saying no. Just not sure here xD

19. Z100000M

Much like the shotty, the shotgun is dice roll that depends on your ping.

20. Lazybum

Certain things are hard against new players because of balance, but that is mostly to do with tank research. Infantry combat is no different than cs, probably a bit better than cs because weapons are a bit more accurate. I've seen new players that were decent fps players and they picked up the infantry game easily enough.

So I really don't think it has as much to do with new players as it has to do with how some players aren't so great at the infantry game.

Zoom, are you talking about the shotty pistol or comparing the old and new shotgun? I suppose if the ping was really high, but I've seen several people with higher ping do really well with the shotgun. Like spike and reznov.