The state of the infantry game

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Paradox, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

It feels like with spartacus as lead scripter the game is going into a more close combat situation since hes removing all ranged and medium ranged utilities.

Exibit A. : Massive buff to shottie
    Exibit B. : Removal off assault rifle and replaced with aa12 rifle. Note that assault rifle was best long distance range rifle and was immensely loved by many including myself and hopfi. ( Spartacus decided to change it up because " noone used it" )
    Exibit C. : Removal of sniper rifle
    Exibit D. : All rifles except the nf heavy rifle ( which cannot be used properly cause accuracy and recoil are insanly great on the gun but the scope if off ) are now short range.

I feel like spartacus is not a very good objective person for this job because he's just implementing stuff he likes instead of looking at the general consensus, which there is not, but instead of taking small steps he's just taking leaps in his own direction destroying what is what we love.
    He's buffing the gimicky little shit weapon we call shotgun because he loves the shotgun ( before he was scripter he used it all the time ), now hes nerfing all medium and long range weapons so he can transition into close range combat and hit 1 hit shottie.

Yeah bros, hit shottie is now 1 hit kill no matter where. Fucking ridiculous.

tl;dr: I never thought I'd say this but I want trickster back.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I made a post on what I think of the weapon changes in the news thread.

Basically I don't think it is all that bad. I would maybe like the scout rifles to be retooled to what the nfhr and bear were previously just so there is a longer distance weapon, but I have to play a commander match before I can really say if it works or was a terrible idea.

Edit: Ah, I should mention I would kinda like the scopes to be replaced with iron sights if they were changed to the bear/nfhr. I think scopes give the wrong impression of what you should expect with it.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Ah yes the Sr, truly the games have shifted much because of that change.

Not saying no, but its really not like this is not a pattern.

Now this may sound elitist, but why is balance handled by people that are really good at the game

And after reading the changelog, jesus christ wtf

Edit: how did this get posted and somehow cut half of my sentence. wtf

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Patience is important in these sorts of scenarios. I will never pretend that I know what I'm doing. I feel like if anyone claims such a thing, then they are fooling themselves.

The only thing that I can guarantee is that I will iterate quickly - hopefully quick enough to fix any mistakes.

So you're going to have to be patient. You're going to have to try things out. And hopefully when you try things, you'll be able to provide useful feedback for future iterations.

I never want to come off as too hostile, but I start to lose confidence when "Exibit" B & D conflict. The NFHR and BEAR both have the same spread and the same number of projectiles per trigger pull. They do act like high-skill 1hk shotguns in close range, but they also turn into long range weapons the moment your belly hits the ground. But I honestly can't expect you to notice that they are nearly identical after only an hour or two of play. We all have to try this stuff out for a while before we can figure out how to improve them. So give it a chance.

5. Paradox

I didnt play nfhr, I thought you didnt change nfhr, ma bad. My nfhr is tricksters nfhr the one that fires slow and is super accurate, but looking at the changelog u changed that to exactly the same as the aa12.

so exhibit D is now that all bullet type weapons are close range.

6. Paradox

I feel like you should make 3 kind of weapons. Long range, medium range, short range. There are 3 slots for 3 weapons why dont u tailor it to that. Engi has that and it works out great, smg1 med range, smg2 close range and engis dont need long range so what ev.

A suggestions I Would make is, revert BEAR to what it was, change up fall off damage on behr immensely so it almost does no damage mid and long range and rework BEHMG to be quite accurate on long range, high ROF super low damage but add a concussion and knockback effect so it effectively becomes a no kill, suppression kind of weapon, a long range support utility gun.

7. Z100000M

Thats unfortunately what all the rifle weapons have at the moment

8. Paradox

More, like seizmic grenade style concussion effect

9. Z100000M

Seismic effect is only midly better than getting a flashbang in your face.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

i really can't wrap my head around changing the smg2. its used almost an equal amount as the smg1 (the smg1 is used more). the thing has no complaints around it (just as the smg1 has no complaints about it). and yet its changed for some random reason. its not cause its unbalanced, not cause its never used. the only reason i can think of is that you had to justify increasing limb damage and you did by changing its burst and kick to be worse? why even bother touching limb damage? no one ever complained about it

e: and wasnt the infantry game almost perfect? why are all these changes being made to infantry? the problem was always vehicles

11. Z100000M

I dont think inf combat was ever really close to perfect.

Hmg is still either a noobtrap or a camper laser. Not much in between.
    Nfhr was just not useful, bear maybe less so, but was still leagues behind bear2. Bear2 being just better than nfar. That and bep2 now being a plain upgrade that deals giant damage.

Its wasnt horribly broken, but it wasnt exceptional either.

12. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I don't like long range combat in Empires, it never worked, but some of these changes are too much emphasis on my short-range to me *coughshotguncough*

13. Z100000M

Depends on how far in the history you are willing to go. Long range has been meh since 2.2, as we had a time where only the burst rifle was good at it, while nfhr was still crap. Ever since it got canned, there really hasnt been much long range combat to speak of, pot shots and random rpgs excluded.

Before that, you could (and some people certainly did) tap fire people across the map with either a rifle or a pistol. That and smg1 was actually good at long range too. This made certain german players really mad.

And yeah not a big fan of the shift, being a midrange+ person myself.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

so the only problems were with infantry were rifleman stuff?

15. Z100000M

Smgs were pretty much always okay and in line with the rest of weps as far as versions went, so i guess?

I wouldnt know about smg3 though

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Actually smg2 is pretty much superior in every facet except long range, and engies all come with pistol 1 as standard. That's the problem.

To be honest, I'm really not sure if Sparty's edits did anything to help that or just hinder it. I always thought the problem was on smg1's side, though the biggest issue was animation recoil giving a different and unintuitive feel to the actual weapon function. On some models it shows exactly what it is - like the dryer, but on the BE equivalent, the recoil is a lot more compared to the NF's almost non-existent value. Same, in reverse, with smg1, though to a lesser extent. NF 1 has a moderate recoil animation, while BE 1 has like nada.

It's an issue because in some cases it displays actually the reverse of what is happening. Confusing both the wielder and the scripter because they feel so different.

That's just imo though.

17. Z100000M

Depends on the map really and with who are you playing. Smg1, even with its low dmg is still better on open maps, but that changes if you actually has people getting armories and walls up.

As for the later part, yeah pretty much

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Pistol 1 has quite a bit of falloff, people with smg 1 are going to win that fight. If you're lucky though sometimes a bunch of bullets from smg2 will hit a target at a long distance, which is nice.

I did try out the smg2 during that test for a short bit( there wasn't too much reason to use when that shotgun exists on nuclear), but it kinda felt the same to me. Like I was getting the same results that I got previously with it, so I don't know.

19. complete_

complete_ lamer

it falls off alot more, the situation you describe will occur even less now. its like it was changed to be absolutely only for close range, but i couldve sworn there was another close range weapon...........

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Ahhh nothing of value is changed in 3 years since i left this community.