The quality of Empires players

Discussion in 'General' started by Lawliet, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Hey Candles, guess who now has acces to the empires ban list.

Or maybe you could make it so that every engy placed radar detects paradox the same way a camera does,

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I think we have a quorum of good players. But we need more guys willing to train new players. There are too many new ones unwilling to learn. They think they just join a team and wing it. How many times do we have to tell a newb that a scout camping with a scope is not the way to play this game?

I'd like to see a short list of questions asked of every new player to categorize them and help them learn what it takes to be an Empires team player. I think this would be very useful:

1) Are you willing to follow your commander and squad leader orders ?

2) Are you willing to wait a YEAR before commanding yourself, read the WIKI, print the build tree for reference, work out a research path that is liked by team mates and appropriate for specific maps ? Without all of that you will not be a good commander - so don't opt in until you take the time to learn.

3) Are you willing to learn from other players, be their bitch and do their bidding until you learn enough to contribute to this amazing game ? Your payback is that you will know that you contributed to a winning team.

4) Do you have a thin skin ? This game gets very intense and some guys will shit on the newbie - can you handle it ? Many can't - but it is worth taking the time to learn this game.

5) You should know becoming scout your first year is only to be done when your commander tells you to and you should learn why - can you handle that ? Each type of player has it's specific skills. Scouts have a very narrow range of skills but it attracts new players who think it will help them rack up kills. It is NOT and you will not contribute to a win. Ask veterans why and they will explain it to you. You can sit in SPECTATOR mode and watch to learn how each class plays from the high scoring players.

6) Are you willing to learn what it takes to become a good Squad Leader ? This requires reading and talking to other players - otherwise you should not opt in as squad leader. Use of squad leaders skills will many times win a match.

7) Empires is an intense multi-player game that requires team work, good communications, and continuous improvement of skills. You will not learn it all in a few months. ARE YOU WILLING TO INVEST THE TIME NEEDED TO BECOME A GREAT PLAYER ? If you are, your payback will be hours of fun, challenges, surprises and respect from players who you respect. You will learn to be better than the guys you thought were unbeatable. You will learn to see everything at once, and take a losing team to victory. You will laugh and get intensely upset, but that is part of WAR !

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. FN198

FN198 Member

thanks babe

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

JustGo, baby..

Put a space inbetween each one and use the bullet points its right under the sizes button.

It makes wall reading a lot easier.

5. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Roger, but I hate bullets - I'd rather number so you can grab a sandwhich and not lose your place. hahaha

Wally

6. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I'm too busy trying to understand all of this. I'm starting to get the hang of it though; I want to try and get melee to interrupt reload. It's like the one thing I've wanted for the past two years.

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Ok, start small.

Then you shall be forced to slave over a hot gui.

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

2 years? Nigga I've been crying myself to sleep over that shit for the best of 5 years. I'd fucking die for that feature.

It's a shame it doesn't come during 2.24d, back when melee had no prediction and weapon damage was low. Then I really could have spawn camped an entire round of district for 20 minutes.

9. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

This. 1000x this. Back then clans were really spoilt for choice with recruitment. If someone wasnt awesome in both teamwork and all aspects of play they didnt get recruited. It was as simple as that. And even then there were a tonne of pubbers that would wipe the floor with some clan players (unfortunately or luckily these pubbers usually lacked coordination when playing against a team with more than a few clan players). And to be honest, for quite some time there was very little difference between clan players and pubbers, something that imo at that time only JPL and BSID could really improve upon, before epic came along...but shortly after that the skill level decreased and decreased.

From my memory 2.12 and 2.2 were probably the most fun due to the skill level of the players

/nostalgia

10. Z100000M

Also allow to load just one bullet into the shotty if the loading is interrupted.

11. Z100000M

Lmao trickster/ghost beef reference.

Would nearly die choking again.

12. Trickster

You know, I'm still mad about being rejected from Ghost.

13. Z100000M

I'd be mad as all hell as well if it was me to be rejected from the bottom feeder clan.

14. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

No I was actually talking about any clan in general, I believe BSID, JPL and whatever else was about at the time were exactly the same.

Heres a random question? Are there any ex ghost players apart from mkvenner that still play sometimes and arent in epic?

I didnt know trickster got rejected from CW :P

15. Z100000M

Not that i'd know, I only ever see mkool playing with zealoth in CoH or totlawar games.

16. Trickster

Ghost was probably the best clan during the time they were around. It was a shame they never scrimmed.

17. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

People still play this game?

18. Freaknovich

Freaknovich Member

No. They just go on the forums asking if people still play.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

What's that you said in the earlier post? Clanners were more or less pubbers back in the day. CW was always focused on what the game is now missing - teaching people how to play and having fair games.

Yeah, I'm saying that again because it's true.

To be honest, Drag told me he was pretty disappointed with me once I joined CW and he was probably right. Playing pub, I was a lot more dynamic, but in a formal team...not so much. And it's not like people would pick me for my quick reflexes and skill with a gun xD (that's always made me feel inferior in a clan tbh) But that's the thing about Empires, it's (or it was) more about outwitting the enemy and co-ordinating with a team. These days people think they're better because they can kill you, but it's not CSS, there's a lot more to it.

But tbh...I think something *has* gone from the game, and not just the players. It's like...when we curbed the beast so each player wasn't just lethal to the enemy, we lost something. Scout sab not withstanding, there was something to be said for most classes being able to dominate or make a heavy dent in some way... I don't really feel like that with Empires anymore, but maybe that's just my perception.

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

You know RKB grabbed them and adsorbed them into BSID.
    They changed their handles some of them.