The mod is NOT dead

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by soundspawn, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

This is why Empires is so bad to code for in the first place. HORRIBLE ADVICE. Learn2Code or GTFO :p

2. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I'm currently learning 3 programming languages

3. Empty

Empty Member

I currently know 1.1 languages.

4. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Just make sure you learn the right best practices and apply them to all 3 :p

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I'm pretty good with C++, though i really only know how the basics work, i know some advanced stuff, but i've never used it before.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

ok i can see what you mean about anything, raxes, armorys, refs, yea, you always get those problems with fail comms that dont listen to players that use the chat. the jeep is still not that great of an idea because spamming jeeps would be a problem, and also you may be thinking "they are good for getting away" but the objective of empires is to slow your enemy's expansion then move in to kill him, killing enemy players IS part of the strategy of stopping the enemy expansion. And i finally see what you mean about the targets, the targets are also bad for the player as they are for the enemy.

7. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

@Sandbag
    I was going to just let it go, but Jessiah is 100% correct. Since you are learning to program, I implore you to take this advice.
    "...don't try to renovate the code from scratch, or even large chunks of it, just adjust and add to it." is the opposite of what one should do. Bad code needs to be redone, look at the optimizations claimed in 2.25 regarding vehicles. If you just add and add, eventually it's unplayable and too convoluted to fix, then you are forced to renovate.

8. Kane

Kane Member

Read and understand a book about software maintenance Sandbag :p

9. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Efficient and well written code > Speed of adding new features (and fixing the code actually makes adding new features faster and easier!)

10. Empty

Empty Member

Uh no.
    Modular code is a good thing sometimes.

11. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

No one said it wasn't. Sandbag is saying, don't fix any code, just keep adding new things where you can. We're saying, uh, no, its better to fix/rewrite the old inefficient code so the code is easier to expand and build on. No one said anything about modularity :p

12. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

I didn't say "don't fix code" I said "don't rewrite code"

I specifically remember Kane saying that he wanted to rewrite the empires code as it was unreadable, and for lack of a better phrase, look how far that has gotten us.

13. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Rest assured, programmers do not enjoy deleting perfectly good code and rewriting it as it was to pass the time. Fix and Rewrite are synonyms within the context of this discussion.

14. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

i heard mod has become undead? as such i demand shotguns to manage undead hordes

15. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

C++ is somewhat modular, but i personally think you should rewrite the code you're working on after you've added chunks to it.

16. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

coding a program is best done like the tides in waves of the ocean

you code a wave, analise it and break it down to recode it more efficiently

next wave becomes bigger, but retracts less further

17. Empty

Empty Member

I just type for half an hour until everything is dead.

18. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

lol .

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Coding is like the sea, once you've gone scuba diving with your friends and you get a little nasty pinching motherfucking shell creature in your undies and in ignorance you decide to share your experience with your friends after which they fucking start laughing at you which really makes you want to kill them -- but then again you just got fucking pinched by some fucking sea creature which really hurt so instead you'd rather just get the fuck out of the water because scuba diving was for fags anyway you just went along because of the peer pressure and thinking you would miss out on the good times and they would eventually exclude you from their little gay fest group and you'd have to be all like dramaqueen about it at school because everyone would notice you weren't with them anymore and without them you couldn't hit on girls because you're really too shy anyway to talk to girls when you're alone, and so accidently you just try to crawl out of the water and you stand on some coral just like a thousand other people before you stood on the same coral. Eventually, the coral DIES.

THATS WHAT CODING IS ALL ABOUT, THINK OF THE CORAL.

20. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

Makes sense.