The mod is NOT dead

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by soundspawn, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Welcome back.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

3. Maxaxle

Maxaxle Member

Good to see that we're not just investing countless hours into a doomed mod.
    [/extreme pessimism]

4. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Even if development completely stopped, we would still be allowed to keep playing you know. :)

We'd probably all re-install the pre-orange box version though. :)

5. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Christ, stop humping the corpse xP

6. Sirex

Sirex Member

I miss BlackCopper and Poa and the other germans :(, what ever happend to that German Empires server that was online two years ago? :(

7. Brutos

z4g (that german clan) die probably a little due to my involvement i think.
    I think UltraLow (their clan leader) was a bit drunk, and I kicked him from Napalms Server because he was abusive and didn't make any sense.

He then kept writing to me in Steam how I dare to kick his "mightiness" and raeged a lot.

Shorty after that their server disappeared and I didn't see him ever again in Empires and the z4g tags started disappearing in front of the names of some players that still were playing Empires

I'm not really sure if it is really my fault. But I don't think we lost that much value to be honest.

8. zenarion

zenarion Member

You son of a bitch!

9. Brutos

Thats was years ago :(

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

CW stole Flasche, who was one of their only active members as well.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't regret that for a second ^^

12. Brutos

I stole flasche. I recruited him therefore he is mine muahahahahahaahaha

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

And you're one of mine, therefore I have what you have..

You know what they say, "what's yours is mine and what's mine is mine" ;)

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

There was a german clan?

Darn.

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

yeah didn't you hear about it they were like HEIL MIEN FURHER then took over most of Europe and killed a bunch of jews and gypsies n stuff, kinda pretty well know dawg

16. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

My only advice is to be very smart about what you change.

don't try to renovate the code from scratch, or even large chunks of it, just adjust and add to it.

instead, add things like when prone was added. you'll get a few bugs with that, but overall the gameplay will improve and you'll be making progress.

serious things to change would be:
    -removing mass commander targets (single targetting is fine)
    -removing mass spam of
    -adding research queuing, etc... generally steamlining the commander role so that it's nicer for newbies. it'll lead to more games where the roles are
    -any player can place a ref for free, refs don't give resources until they've got 100 res

fun things could be:
    -max turn speed on the tank turrets (so if you moved the mouse too far, your cursor would be ahead of the turret's own cursor and the turrets one would chase yours until it caught up
    -make ammo boxes explode! (would add a fun new dimension to combat, and remove the "placing an ammo box by a ref node to stop enemies using it" exploit
    -squad leaders can spend 1 squad point to make an armoury, 1 for a jeep and 3 for a barracks or similar.

that sort of thing. I know that a new tech tree is already in the works, but that would be exactly the kind of thing that I would recommend you stay as far as possible away from, under the category of "starting from scratch". Ultimately you won't change the actual fun part of shooting people at all, people will just be doing it with different names of guns... that said I do think the new tech tree (if it's the one i'm thinking about with tiers) is easier for new players to learn, even though doubling the number of weapons to understand will double the complexity and balancing issues without really changing the depth.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

neither do i :|ove:

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

<filler>

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

No it's not. The developer team has no scripters, except maybe Beerdude although I think he just codes now. Afaik scripts won't change at all from 2.24d. MOOtant said that he wasn't going to allow that as well, because he didn't think they should change too often so people have to relearn stuff, so he removed my scripts from SVN as well before he left. That leaves it at 100% stock 2.24d.

20. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

ok, well i did some testing of different research tree a couple times about 3 weeks ago, but I understand that you have your ears closer to the ground than i do with this, so i'll trust you.

Have no idea why balancing the scripts and causing players to relearn them is a problem, though personally I think the 2.24d infantry weapon scripts were fine.

@Grantrithor:

I don't see how SL putting down jeeps is overpowered, just getting mobile with a jeep, (which would require 5 seconds E build (so like, 2 seconds of calculator) as i'm fleshing it out a bit) isn't really too bad, just keeps them mobile. one of the biggest problems with squads is when they go around the map really slowly together, as the players would often be of more use if they spread out.
    the SL placing rax/armoury and any player placing refs are tasks which can already be accomplished by a commander, so I don't see how that can be OP. The point of allowing players to put them down is that it means squads (and lone players looking to build refs) never have to wait around for the commander to place a building. It's one of the biggest flaws in empires that you have to wait around doing nothing, yelling in block caps that you need a ref and having to wait for the commander to respond before you can build the important structure and move on.

mass targets suck for 1000 reasons, trying to hide while enemies run past, making a flanking manouver, getting shot while in water, hiding (not the skill) achieving nothing, being able to camp and shoot a player as soon as they come around the corner / ladder, not being able to hide in a base while doing damage (you'll be hunted down and killed), just generally being spotted when you were being sneaky, bad commanders giving their team a kick to the balls by not giving targets, commanders having a pointless repetative task of giving targets to infantry constantly, killing use of gamesense when it comes to combat, making engineer camras obsolete...

just having played other FPS games where infantry combat has a lot of depth to do with hiding, being in the right place at the right time and so on, especially playing competatively, and then coming back to empires... it feels like a bad joke. Can you picture CS or TF2 would be improved if everyone had wallhacks on all the time?

man this post is long