The iPhone 5!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Sep 16, 2012.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

There goes my knowledge of music. But I had British bands in my osu library, it's just that it was left behind after i swapped OSes :|

EDIT:
    Here.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. complete_

complete_ lamer

speaking of music, i heard Beats by Dr. Dre get you hella laid

3. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

And fists in your face.

[​IMG]

This will get you laid.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

No, Smirnoff (or any vodka) will get you laid. Just don't scream when you wake up.

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

I have no mouth and I must scream

(don't date rogue AI composed of supercomputers, kids)

I'm actually looking at this website at the moment, the top tablets are ridiculously good for the price. This one has a 1.6Ghz dual core with a Mali 400 GPU and 1 GB of RAM

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

That does look sexy... I just recommended it to someone I know who is looking around.

7. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Are you talking about the iPhone 4's horrible reception problem or the expensive, non-upgrade (except for an unnecessarily bigger screen and non-compatible charger) iPhone 5? Though it should have been applied, but I suggested Galaxy SIII and Razr Maxx because they were Android-based. I do a little development work with the OS and it syncs well with the rest of the world, unlike Apple products.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Ewww, get a Nexus 7. I don't trust that weird tablet. We know nothing about battery life (tiny battery doesn't help things...), screen quality (9.7" 1024x720 isn't used in any other high volume products, unless there's a typo and it's the iPad's 1024x768 panel), build quality and software stability. Oh and what's with using a 2011 SoC from a nobody company?

The Nexus 7 is a solid tablet for the same price. You know you're getting decent battery life with a great screen and the industry's best software integration. And don't forget that XDA treats Nexus devices very well.

Profit is not Street Price - BoM. There's a little more cash that goes into a phone. There's licensing costs, labor, design, amongst other things. Apple's margins are definitely the best in the business, but it's not fair to judge any device's profitability by it's price & BoM.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Whilst true, Apple's margins still dwarf virtually any other product on the market by at least 200%.

10. Fooshi

11. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Yeah, the Galaxy S3 is a really BIG thing. That is the problem.

12. Trickster

If it was translated properly, I'd want the Fujitsu Docomo F-10D Arrows X (yes it's a mouthful) because it blows every other phone out of the water. But apparently the translation to English is pretty sub-par, so it can be pretty unusable for non-Japanese fags.

13. ImSpartacus

How is it different from what we have here? The rugged thing? I guess that fingerprint sensor is nifty, but it probably molests battery life (if it works at all).

It doesn't seem like a terrible phone, but it's not amazingly incredible.

14. Trickster

The S3 has basically the best specs of the main phones. This has a better camera, and it's waterproof (FUCKING WATERPROOF MOTHERFUCKER). Most phones now seem to have similar specs, so those 2 things are what makes this phone stick out from the rest. Also, I don't know why on earth you think a fingerprint sensor would damage battery life. That's a pretty dumb statement Spartacus. I'd expect better from you.

15. ImSpartacus

I don't know how it's implemented. Is it active all the time (like NFC)? If it it's constantly waiting for someone to swipe their finger, then it would impact battery life. I honestly don't know enough about the implementation to draw any strong conclusions, only state possibilities.

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Chances are pretty good that it would detect if a finger was there before trying to run a scan. Something like a pressure sensor completing a circuit, a small switch or interfering with an electromagnetic field. There are many ways to implement a passive detection system that triggers a scan.

17. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

All I can add to that is that halfway proper finger sensors, like the ones used in Lenovo Thinkpad do have an impact on battery life. A small but noticeable one. No idea if they are comparable.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Speaking of NFC... apple made yet another retarded mistake by not including it in the design.

19. Fooshi

And another mistake my dropping Google Maps.

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

they can just google using bing