Test #13 - BUGTEST - Saturday 19th May - 16:00 BST, 11am EDT, 8am PDT

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Trickster, May 16, 2012.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I only posted because you said I had no opinion. :)

2. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

What's the current time it takes to disappear, can't remember off hand and aren't at home

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If you want an opinion, attend a test.

@Wealthy, 20 seconds.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

For some reason, I couldn't get in. BLargh, have to download it all again, I guess..

5. Trickster

Not necessarily. What were your issues? Did you try the right server? Did you try restarting steam? WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK ME OVER STEAM?

6. ViroMan

Here is my opinion after testing the testpires by myself.
    *All the the window buttons still highlight in a box even though the buttons are not boxes.
    *Annoying vibrating still happens when your in your own server. doesn't happen for me when I connect to other servers.
    *vehicle design window was way too translucent

Edit:
    ohh ya... more confirmation that custom content works.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. Trickster

2) is an issue I could care less about. I think.
    3) I just don't get.

1) Can you explain further? Screenshots?

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

How about we solve that carcass problem by doing the following:

When vehicle gets destroyed the carcass can be recycled by any team, however if a vehicle drives over the carcass (Tank/MT or higher tier) the carcass dissapears. The idea behind this is to create a cover/resource income as soon as a vehicle dies. In the beginning of the game this could improve the relationship between vehicles and infantry. You could also set a limit on how many carcasses are allowed with a server variable.

This was just an idea though.

Oh and about the icon/minimap icon for mines, I would say you should enable minimap icons only for grenadiers with defusal since their the ones that can actually do something about it.

9. Trickster

The running over carcass idea goes against my point of no extra coding.

Also, I don't think you quite understand. ALL Grenadiers can already see minimap icons of mines. It has been this way for about 6 years. But the NEW feature is a little icon that pops above the mine itself, nothing to do with the minimap. But that's for defusal Grens only. My point is, do we roll out that to the regular Grens?

10. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Carcasses on the likes of slaughtered could be bad if the timer was set too high. Would I be right in thinking that adding a variable to set maximum carcass limit before the oldest carcass is recycled shouldn't be too much work (depending on the state of the code). Although I know want to avoid code work it would be good to be able to increase the vanish time but keep it from being ridiculous by limiting the number. Adding that variable should reduce the testing needed to balance it aswell. (setting the timer too high will create stalemates)

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I was already irritated by a couple of other things, and then that just pissed me off.

I'd installed that Empires on my laptop, but I tried to play from my desktop, ofc putting the steam cfg in and swapping the gcf's. It just came up with me not having the mod, so... :s

12. Ducky

Ducky 2D Artist

Is it possibly just the configured infantry binds (which are being applied when spawning / changing class) are overwriting your console binds ?

13. ViroMan

*All the the window buttons still highlight in a box even though the buttons are not boxes.
    [​IMG]

*vehicle design window was way too translucent
    All windows are a bit too translucent imo.

[​IMG]

Due to the windows being too translucent I could barely tell which research I had selected. I could only tell easily by reading the descriptive text.

[​IMG]

Also it may have been said before... but, no vehicles show in the mini map or the larger map. At least when not on your own server.

one more thing... I love you harry hot

[​IMG]

and lastly... I managed to get an achievement by killing myself with a jeep. console output on what achievement I got was not helpful in telling me what I got.

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Dear God that VGUI is so transclucent I hate it already.

It's nice and fresh but transclucent.

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it was no opinion but an annotation ...

16. Trickster

No test no nothing Flasche.

@ Viroman. Congratulations, you have earned a right to have an opinion by being useful.

The translucent issue might not get fixed, the whole point of using Nesquiko GUI was that it was an easy reskin. If it can be fixed, great, but if not then we might have to live with it. But having said that, I don't recall it being that bad before, so I'm going to fire up my old 2.30 install to check. But you're right, it is a problem.

As for the boxes, I was hoping that was fixed a while ago, and I'm going to try and get that sorted if possible.

17. ViroMan

The text in the buttons and tabs should be moved over to the right by about 3-6 characters they are not centered(see previously posted pictures). This "should" be a 2 min job to add extra spaces in all the strings. Unless they decide to implement some sort of centering function.

One more thing... notice in my second to last posted pic that the smaller research window... to the bottom right... the word research is slightly cut off at the bottom of the word. The bigger research window the "Research Tree" words have the same issue.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  18. Reznov

Reznov Member

I feel really bad for those people that have to fix this shit, it's ridicilous but Empires was never bug-free to begin with.

@Trickster:

You think wealthy's idea is possible then?

(x) carcasses on field - (svar) minutes duration / (x) + (svar) seconds

i.e.
    1 carcass on field - 5 minutes duration / 1 + 10 seconds
    2 carcasses on field - 5 minutes duration / 2 + 10 seconds
    3 carcasses on field - 5 minutes duration / 3 + 10 seconds

I hope I didn't misunderstand wealthy's idea lol. Also just give all grenadiers the icon over the mines for now? We can still test if it's overpowering or not in a test pug or something.

19. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Nope reznov, my idea (whilst similar) was also simpler. Basically the maximum number of carcasses that could exist at once, along with the carcass vanish time would exist as 2 seperate variables.

Say for example the carcass limit was 10 and the vanish time was 60 secs.

Scenario 1: Less than 10 carcasses at once....each carcass vanishes after 60 seconds (as it does in the current version)
    Scenario 2: More than 10 carcasses at once....When the 11th tanks carcass is created then the oldest carcass will dissappear to prevent too many blockages.

The downside of this is that you dont know how long it will take a specific carcass to dissappear.

I think Reznovs idea would actually be better as long as it isnt significantly harder to implement

20. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Nope reznov, my idea (whilst similar) was also simpler. Basically the maximum number of carcasses that could exist at once, along with the carcass vanish time would exist as 2 seperate variables.

Say for example the carcass limit was 10 and the vanish time was 60 secs.

Scenario 1: Less than 10 carcasses at once....each carcass vanishes after 60 seconds (as it does in the current version)
    Scenario 2: More than 10 carcasses at once....When the 11th tanks carcass is created then the oldest carcass will dissappear to prevent too many blockages.

The downside of this is that you dont know how long it will take a specific carcass to dissappear.

I think Reznovs idea would actually be better as long as it isnt significantly harder to implement