Tank Building Templates/ and vehicle air drops

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by TheLiberalElitist, Jun 20, 2014.

1. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

So one thing I think would be nice is giving experienced commanders the ability to micromanage there tank layouts , I know I submitted something similar to this a while back, but I feel it needed to be suggested again.

We have something like this already for players, but I feel its a little clunky

For example, say a commander wants to conserve resources, he can lock the vf and then from the commander view create tank layouts he wants his team to use.

- only making light tanks available.

- limiting the number of buildable arty tanks to two

-lock building heavies, unless the player uses the specific layout assigned by the commander.

This would not be limited to only the commander but the players could save there preferred tank layouts, or submit layouts to the commander that they wish for him to consider.

Now, if the commander is kicked, these restrictions will be moved,

Also these restriction should be easily removed, in case the commander wants to give the team free reign over there tank customization, but the templates he had created should still be visible to the player wen making there weapon layout decisions.

Air drop vehicles

Also the commander should be given the ability to drop specific vehicle from the air to groups where a vehicle cannot be built, but to offset the advantage of air dropping the vehicle the ability should be double the cost of the vehicle being dropped.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

You and me, both.

3. 101010

101010 Member

Kind of hate this idea. Bad coms make bad decisions. Don't need a bad com restricting what can be built. Not everyone plays the same there is no one layout for all setup that works.

I do like the airdrop idea.

4. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Yeah, this is truly a bad idea. I more often than not, have found poorly constructed or misconfigured tanks from comms. Everyone has they way of loading out their tanks, and if you have to play with someone else's tank loadout, it will diminish anyone's level of play.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Only thing I want, and many others, is the ability to limit how many and what type of vehicles are coming out of the vf. The rest everyone pointed out, it relies on commanders really knowing what they are doing and understanding what their team can actually utilize. Which is incredibly rare.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

only because of arties? seems a bit dramatic ...

i dont think comm should pick what tank you drive (except for research obviously), you wouldnt want comm to pick your infantry class either, do you?

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'd love that.

8. flasche

it would have positive effects aswell, itd so pick the most hated class with the most useless skill layouts i could come up with for people i dont like :|ove:

9. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Maybe locking the vf and only allowing specific layouts would limit choice on the teams end, but currently you can only lock the vf completely and not in between. I would even like to take it a step further, and give the commander the ability to limit the tanks that can be built on a player to player basis, so when a commander says only XYZ and can have an arty tank it eliminates other players getting arty just because its there.

This adds a lot more strategy to matches because a commander can effectively manage where resources are spent. I would say the only change would be if the player has the wages let him build whatever he/she wants.

10. flasche

its all about arty tanks. maybe theres better ways to deal with that?

also i dont think forcing players to play the way you want to play isnt going the make the game more attractive for everyone but yourself. good design would mean players can play the way they prefer and still archieve the common goal.
    ofc this is only an ideal which can never be reached, but worsening it by removing individual choices is certainly the wrong way.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  11. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

Arty was one of my concerns when writing the suggestions because of it's frailties, but also if the commander can construct a layout and lock or make it the preferred layout. New players would be less likely to build paper armored tanks. So they won't waste resources and time building a tank that will be easily destroyed mid game.

12. flasche

nothing against the comm constructing layouts for players to pick from and even make it the default selected build when you enter the v menu, but as option not as requirement and it would be a nice feature actually. if your choice is good people will pick your builds anyway, enforced or not and it might speed things up.

but apart of my previous argument about player choices, theres other good arguments against such limitations. assume the following situation.

you have heavies and you only allowed that one type because you are sure you win.
    people are pushing tank after tank but somehow the enemy holds out.
    suddently you realize a vehicle snuck through unnoticed and is heading towards your position and theres noone there.
    thank god you had a player with good map awareness who realized the threat and killspawned to base in just enough time to get to the vf, quickly throw together a tank and attack before the apc reached you.
    so he spawns, runs, gets into vf and - damn 200res missing. if only he could remove that ml and a few plates.
    you would have allowed him in advance, but you know, you just didnt think about the possibility. such things already happen with locking alone.

well you can guess the rest, he asks you, you get shocked and hurry, he tries again, in the meanwhile the 200res have piled up anyway, but too late, boom.

im sure you can come up with other situations where this would fuck you over more then it helps or at least end in an immense amount of adminstrative work (as someone suggested it should be on a per player base).
    ofc its a made up situation, but the problem already exist with locking the vehicle factory alone - almost lost the base, vf 90% down, plenty of cash, click build with valid apc layout, comm has locked vehicle creation, boom. this already happend to me and not just once - a more complex system would only create more of such situations.

another thing would be learning. if it turns into a habit to only enable certain layouts, new player are removed of the option to experiment and find good layouts themselfs.

i can see the issue with arties - totally - i just think this would be over the top.

13. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Unless this vehicle air drop thing doesn't actually air drop but teleport to a spot the commander selected, I doubt that will get implemented.

This feature also sounds exploitable to hell.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Scripted air vehicles can be done in the source engine. What can't be done is player controlled vehicles and doing physics correctly. Half-Life 2 had scripted air vehicles.

15. flasche

ad exploitable to hell, just think lone scout apcs ...

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You could do it like bf2, only thing you can airdrop was jeeps. So the commander can play the fun game of squashing people with sniper rifles.

17. Reznov

Reznov Member

Restrict vehicle layout for BE so they can just build paper heavies with plasma MG.

Who is your god now.

18. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Reznov

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

My computer is my god. The games I play with it train and entertain me. The movies I watch with it enlighten and entertain me. The things I create with it help or punish others. When I die I will be thinking of the things I have yet to do with my computer and the things I don't want others to see with it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

2deep4me