survivability

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by OuNin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

SMG1 got a bit of a buff I think, but I forget. I should really do an infantry changelog, I don't really have an excuse for not doing one, unlike with vehicles and stuff.

2. OBEL

OBEL Member

It was a while between me playing now and before.

It might be me out of practice. And my new position of playing PC games on my bed...

3. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

I've started using the smg1 recently, and holy hell it feels badass now. I wouldn't be surprised if it had indeed gotten a buff.

4. Cad

Cad Member

Location, location, location. So speed upgrade first and regen second on both the gren and rifle. Never rely on those pub engies...

Engi, walls and more walls.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I play polak style, aka run in a straight line shooting until you get shot, respawn, and so on until we break through. Works like a charm!

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I usually dont die if I play serious but I usually dont play that way.

7. Michael

Michael Member

I remember some good old days when running around sticking nuke-heavies, and even surviving the method. :cool:

There very basic survival, for all infantry is speed upgrade. That gives the edge when being targeted... seriously.
    The second very basic survival is only working in pub games; when you don't push all out everything. In a scrim match I instantly learnt it, that you literaly grief your team, if you don't push.
    So yeah its a lot harder to survive if you are on offense, but not impossible.

On offense the fps haxor, killing machine stuff gets into the calculation.
    It's quite obvious, if you kill everyone, no one can harm you then.

Cover-to-cover tactical advances, sticking to teammates, getting defense skills, are minor factors, and again: they reduce the offensive capabilites and momentum.
    I always sucked getting the momentum. It happened if ordered and with good squad, but I could never really achived it by my own. Thing is, I'm more of a defensive, reactive one.

Maybe there are other super heroes out there, but namely I only saw Disposable_Hero truly hunting lonely, going offensively for the momentum and even survive it with quite high rate. :eek:

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

When I lay out advancing walls for my team, it really does make the difference. I've only really seen Jephir do that as well, besides me. People don't realise what a difference it makes. Rather than engineers having to run into open fire and drop a wall, I can just drop it for them and let them advance without taking damage.

9. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

Well I usually try to kill everything in my path and run around like a madman. But if I die so be it. Unless I have a personal goal or mission, I just try and do as much damage as possible to the enemy team on each run.

10. Empty

Empty Member

Survival is pointless.

Unless we have <100 tickets I will fucking abuse the fact that shooting me down puts me on a 10 second clock after which I get a full heal and full ammo.

Hyper aggression fucking works, it works in nearly every game with free respawns. The only time I ever avoid danger is in DM matches in other games.

The way I see it, if I run into the meatgrinder and perform one objective that improves my team's chances, I made a profit. This can be as simple as killing an engineer, or as complex as taking down a heavy tank no matter the cost in tickets.

That's not to say I'm suicidal, I'm pretty fucking competent at empires and if someone tries to stop me performing my objective I'll attempt to take them out but if that's futile then I'll at least get a 'fuck you' of some kind, usually a tossed grenade, mortar at a turret or a mine placed before I die.

There's no point holing yourself up in a corner hiding from the enemy or staying alive when you could be actively working to take objectives. If there's 3 guys moving on your position you have 3 options. Engage, Hide or Run.

If you run, you will probably die, you will definitely lose ground and if you live you'll probably be injured, you'll have to go back to an armory or find teammates to counterpush.

If you hide, you are doing nothing, they'll get a good position on you and kill you. You've wasted 10 seconds.

If you engage, shit goes down now. Either you kill 3 enemies and your position is safe to do whatever you fucking want, or you kill 0-2 and die. Then, you have 10 seconds before you can move out again.

Generally, 10 seconds from dying is not as bad as the trek back to base or back to a safe position. There are exceptions but 99% of the time I find going full aggressive and taking your opponents on as early and as unpredictably as possible you'll get good results.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what you say is true in general - if you roleplay the war you wont reach anything. though if i care about dying, and ofc i can only speak for me, i usually have a better overall performance aswell. trying not to die doesnt only mean run back to where you get healed, it means you need a different, unexpected approach to the given situation in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  12. Empty

Empty Member

My K/D is shit (I estimate 1.1ish in empires), but I'd say my W/L is good.

But thing is, my K/D is always gonna suck in empires because of ping, no point trying to artificially boost it with hiding faggotry and running away from a losing battle.

In other games my tactics work better, I get a 2.0 K/D in most games against pubs, and my aggressive behaviour still works. The only exceptions are when I'm doing a specific strategy (for example in one FPS I play dedicated sniper rifle, because I'm dedicating myself purely to disrupting and killing enemies it's in my team's interests to stay alive. I don't do objectives as often but I defend them at long range and thin the enemy team out effectively. Also the revive mechanic in this game works where if you headshot someone they can't be revived, so I'm a massive help in a pitched battle)

13. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

Dont get me wrong, I care about dying and try not to, only cause I can cause more damage within an allotted time if I don't. Im not suicidal however. Just a Meth crazed madman trying to rape your children...

14. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

Stick to the best form of defense, stealth. When you must, rush enemies that are in the way because they're blocking the way. Even if it'll kill you, they'll corner and crush you anyway. Taking an important area may also require power-rushing. Stealth is the best defense. You see them, they can't see you; If you don't exist, you can't be damaged.

You have to quickly choose when to be stealthy and when to be strong. Sometimes, you have to designate these roles. That's all about judging team structure for a situation. You won't get anywhere near that unless you're a lottery-winner. No one in online games wants to use teamwork. Unless you have a team of dedicated, loyal friends, you will NEVER be part of a structured team, nevermind doing it on-the-fly with each respawn of your team.

:headshot:

15. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

The best defense is a good offense. They can't make you dead if they're already dead!

Unless they got a sticky bomb on you. Then you're fucked.

16. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

If you spend time hiding, that's time not spent killing the enemy.

17. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

But if you go all-offense, you're open and die first.... You hide-and-move at the same time. The enemy doesn't know EXACTLY where you are as you approach the area. Basically, you're dancing around near the enemy using little bits of perceptive trickery at a fast pace. Little advantages you gain to win all the little battles.

Hiding and sitting still is still the best defense though :v But it's full defense, so you don't get to kill.

18. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Hiding and sitting doesn't help because they're gonna get targets/senses/cameras and you'll be fucked. Also I'd rather have a 40/39 k/d(or equivalent measure in usefulness) than a 25/10

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just that a kdr doesnt say anything about usefullness. neither are low stats useless, nor useful. in the end, in empires, only 1 kill counts and it doesnt really have to be a "kill" (as in killing a human player)

20. NemesisLeon

NemesisLeon Member

No-violence run as a full medic player? Say it isn't so!

KDR ratios need to die. General Score is much better. Or, even better, remove it altogether. KDR is for team deathmatches since killing most is the goal there.