Suggestion - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Trid3nt, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Since we've had a sudden influx of unexplained, badly formatted, unsearched, and frankly, useless suggestions, could we please have a rules sticky for suggestions, and any threads which do not conform to it get closed. I just think that this would make life easier for the devs.

And that announcement I haven't seen, I think stickies are more visible. Or if possible, make it neccesary to have read the rules before making a suggestion.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

3. arklansman

arklansman Member

Close the suggestion forum altogether. :D

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

a few dumb people post suggestions and you want to throw the whole thing out?

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

and make the "the devs wont such things" sticky now, it would reduce the parachute and stuff posts

6. DeadlyDad

DeadlyDad Member

I suggested that a week or so ago, and am all for it, as long as they don't harsh on jump-jets. :p

7. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If people would search for posts and drop suggestions if they are told that they won't work (parachutes won't be in, for example), then things would be better around here.

8. arklansman

arklansman Member

*cough* towers *cough*

9. Reef

Reef Member

Everyone registers at the board and posts his first suggestion about one of the following:
    • Super weapon that would kill all the enemy in one shot
    • Super uber-research (engine/armour/gun/godmode/whatever) that would give advantage that would make the other team die in 1 or 2 minutes
    • Super uber-building that would make players able to teleport between bases without loosing tickets or money, so if You have this research Your base will never be destroyed
    • Super uber-tower that protects Your base like automaticly (so You even don't have to teleport)

And this is all a piece of sh*t. None of those suggestions are ever accepted.
    We need a big link at registration "If You are registering to post suggestions, press HERE" and we need a sticky topic named "RULES - comply or Your topic will be deleted!" that would explain what types of suggestions we like and what we don't like.
    We need moderators to actually delete the topics about the uber-stuff.
    None of new players/suggestors realize that Empires is that fun because there are NO uber-weapons, NO uber-researches, NO uber-tanks. Even nukes are balanced!

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

So I'm the only one suggesting minior fixes? Like the annoying piiiip sound when you die?

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Report threads if they are duplicates. (with the report function)

If you want a sticky that bad, why not make one yourself, with awesome colors and stuff, then ask a moderator to sticky it for you.
    I don't think we need another thread complaining about the quality of the suggestions ;).

If you guys want to use this thread to compile a list of what not to suggest, for the sticky, go ahead, but if you're just going to continue complaining I will close this thread.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  12. Reef

Reef Member

As Private Sandbag has the biggest experience in creating sticky threads, I suggest that should be him that would make a prototype (in this thread) and we will discuss what should be removed/added/corrected in it.

My propsal is:

The most important thing in Empires is that the game is balanced and epic. New ideas must not change this, so the basic rule is: we don't want anything that would make average Empires game shorter or less epic, that includes, but it is not limited to:
    • Super weapon that would kill all the enemy in one-two shots
    • Super research (engine/armour/gun/godmode/whatever) that would give hudge advantage and the other team would die in 1 or 2 minutes
    • Super jetpacks
    • Super refinery that would make the winning team win faster

We also don't want anything that would make bases totally unconquerable, that includes, but it is not limited to:
    • Super building that would make players able to teleport between bases without loosing tickets or money, so if You have this research Your base will never be destroyed, because You can get all players back in base in just a few seconds.
    • Super tower that protects Your base automaticly (so You even don't have to teleport)

Also consider, that:
    • Aircrafts are being implemented
    • Horns are being implemented
    • New vehicle models are being implemented
    • Many ideas have been already reported in organize stuff topic.
    • You need to use the forum search before creating a new topic to ensure that Your idea was not yet proposed/implemented
    • The best practice is to write one idea per topic
    • Overheating vehicles is made in purpose and will NOT be removed
    • Fuel in tanks will NOT be implemented

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

how do i report this thread?

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

At the top right of each post is a report button, click the button on the original post of the thread and explain why you clicked it.

Also, duplicate of my idea for improving the suggestions forum:
    I had an idea on how to organize the "Organize stuff" thread:
    Split up the thread into multiple threads:
    -Organize stuff: new suggestions still under discussion.
    -Suggestions that have been added to the game: all suggestions that are added to the game.
    -Suggestions that have been denied: Suggestions that have been denied, and should not be suggested again. (the suggestion can still be made with an explanation for why it should be added, but misuse of this will be often)
    -Organize stuff discussion thread: discussion on how to improve the system, bad suggestions. (the same suggestion in multiple threads)

15. communism

communism poof

BUT HOW WULD WE GET OUT OF OUR FLY TANKS

16. Reef

Reef Member

Players will not read through 3 topics before posting their ideas.
    Rules must fit on (one) screen.

Thats good, create a new topic and move the current discussion there.

17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The idea is that before you post a suggestion, you look in these threads to find out wether or not it has been suggested before, it also makes it easier for the developers.
    I also created a thread in the moderator forum where we will be discussing this idea.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I'll sticky any good "discussed to death" list.

19. Reef

Reef Member

What I mean is it will be more effective if there will be one-post topic describing the rules AND the ideas that will not be implemented. Those could possibly be discussed in multiple threads, so it's hard to search for the one with the decision and a reason.
    I think that the common suggestions and... constraints ("any kind of super-weapon, non-overheater, super-research or anything that would make the winning team win even faster") can be collected into one post so it would be clear if the suggestion posted complies to the general rules or not. Ofcourse, on the end of the topic there will be links to organize stuff and forum search...

I noticed that the suggestions forum has no description.
    Tech Support's description is "Get help here". Suggestion forum's description should be "be sure to read Suggestions Rules before posting!".

Please guys comment the prototype so we can create something usefull as the rules topic.

EDIT: things gathered from other topics:
    • Ownership of Vehicles
    • Anything related to BF2 and BF2142
    • Antitank rifles
    • Parachutes
    • Missle Tanks
    • Motorcycles
    • Mechs
    • Laser weapons
    • EMP tank (we have plasma and nukes)
    • Construction vehicles
    • Hovertanks, hovercrafts
    • Observation tanks, mobile cameras/radars
    • Field guns
    • Shields
    • things that will make people play more "rambo"-like and will lower the average teamwork level
    • things that have little to do with the gameplay and theme of the mod
    • things that require days upon days of coding to implement and add almost nothing to gameplay/theme
    • things that doesn't fit to the Empires universe and theme (f.e. horses, aliens, mutants, lightsabres, ATAT's, zombies...)

Some of those were extracted from: http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=4767

We need a proper suggestion propsal formatting template (maby the one from Organize Stuff will fit).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  20. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Oh hello, didn't see this post. I thought the thread had gone left alone. Since the other thread was closed, I'll say this here: Why was it closed? It's not designed as rules, just as a list of things not to post. Anyway, I spend time trying to do something to help the community, and it is simply closed, real mature. In any case, Reef, sorry, but I didn't see your posts for some reason, so don't take it personally. I would be happy to edit the post to incorporate your stuff, but if when I try and do something useful, people lock it, I won't bother.