Suggest Player Stats and Global Stats (READ ORIGINAL POST FIRST)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Beerdude26, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Because we have access to the Steamworks API, we can aggregate stats on players, and make some of those stats global, too.

Please do not suggest statistics that promote whoring or grinding. Kill / Death ratios and Win / Lose ratios will not be considered. Feel free to discuss when and how a stat should be increased or should change. Read the rest of the text below to get a feel for what's possible.

We have a few stats already in Steamworks, although they are not hooked up ingame, so they aren't updated:

• Times commanded
    • Total playing time
    • Rounds played
    • Total time played as Engineer
    • Total time played as Rifleman
    • Total time played as Grenadier
    • Total time played as Scout
    • Average rank points earned per round

There's 3 kinds of values a stat can have:
    - Integer values
    - Floating-point values, so that's numbers with commas
    - Average-rate values. With these, you define a window in which the rate is averaged. For example, for the rank point average, the window is currently set at 20. At the end of a round, the Steamworks API is used to tell Steamworks that a round has ended and that these are the player's points. Another example is with hours. Say you want average bullets fired per hour. At appropriate times, like every minute, we use the Steamworks API to inform Steamworks. For example, if the person fired 260 bullets in the past 15 minutes (which equates to 0.25 hours), we'd update it like this: SteamUserStats()->UpdateAvgRateStat( "AvgBulletsPerHour", 260, 0.25 )

Each stat can also be made global. Steam automatically aggregates the value and displays it in the game's statistics overview.

2. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Possibly (really possibly) points per minute for each class played could be interesting. I don't think it promotes grinding since points are designed to be awarded for being useful to a team.
    Win/loss ratio of NF/BE (and thats it, i.e. % of matches won by each team) would be interesting, especially from a balance viewpoint but not sure if it would be best to make it public since it could encourage stacking on the team thats most likely to win (this is the empires community after all :) )

3. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

One I'd really like to see is percentage of total kills with a given weapon. If it's a percentage, than people won't be able to whore kills because they won't be able to know the total. I've always wondered which weapon I've gotten the most kills with.

4. Beerdude26

No idea if we can have global stats that aren't aggregated from user ones. I'm thinking not.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Frames lost to particles
    Repairs performed
    Armor plates destroyed
    Average wasted weight on a vehicle
    Average money spent on a vehicle
    Average points per round
    Fastest travelled in a vehicle
    Distance travelled in a vehicle
    Average vehicles per round
    Vehicles abandoned (constructed vehicle, died to the abandoned vehicle dot)
    Vehicles lost
    Vehicles escaped (how many times you've gotten out of a vehicle before it exploded)
    Walls placed
    Walls destroyed
    Flags captured

Most importantly:
    Team playtime ratio.

Broken down into:
    Brenodi
    Jekotia
    Spectator/Unassigned

6. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Times revived
    Times revived other players
    Refineries built
    Squad-skills used
    Favorite engine
    Favorite armor
    Favorite vehicle-weapon
    Map destructables built
    Map destructables destroyed
    Time spend as passenger
    Direct hits with mortar on infantry (=kill with one shell)
    Times enemy vehicles deconned
    Time vehicle carcasses recycled
    Time used voice-chat
    Amount of lines written in text-chat

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

make it number of <building> built.
    and maybe number of <chassis> built.

also less serious:
    time spent in spec :D

edit:
    or could also show amount of juice spent building (as bonus per building type)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. urethra franklin

urethra franklin Member

Games won with submerged com.

% Of time spent in com vehicle while near an enemy player/building.

A ladder ranking of the person with the highest volume in voice chat expressed in db/second

A mean time for wins

Mean amount of "I need air support" per round.

9. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I think that would be around 6 or 7 for me.

I would like number of rounds commanded, but wouldn't want a statistic that shows % of rounds won as commander.
    I don't want people to know how bad I REALLY am so that they continue to vote me in at start of round since commanding is my favorite part of this game.

The stats that Beerdude listed are pretty universally relevant, all the other lists I've seen have been fringe things that don't really need implementation but some of which might be cool to have just because.

10. flasche

yes beerdude stole all the good ones :(

also scrap my suggestion about number of vehicles built because it would only lead to who built more jeeps ;)

11. Beerdude26

I like this tbh

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Here is a large selection of possible things to track that may not cause too much trouble like kill whoring. With possible achievement names.

-- Global Stats --
    Preferred skills per class
    Which side wins per each map on average
    Average time per each map
    # of times each map is played

-- Individual Stats --
    :Vehicles
    # of minutes spent in each vehicle. (Tells your favored vehicle.)
    % of time spent in a non com vehicle per round. (prefer solder or driver?)

:Soldiers
    # of bullets shot with % of them hitting. (Aim Bot)
    # of bullets taken (Swiss cheese)
    # of jumps (Bunny hopper)
    # of Miles or Kilometers run. (Marathon runner)
    # of times killed by a mine (That wasn't a cookie)

:Engy
    # of calc bullets used on building. (Base bitch)
    # of whole wall(non com) segments dropped. (Take cover!)
    # of ammo crates dropped (I haz ammo!)
    # of people revived, including squad rev (Just a flesh wound)

:Scunt
    % of time spent hidden (I am useless stalker)
    # of successful stuns (STOP!! sticky time!)

:Rifleman
    # of HP points saved by stamina (Meat shield)
    # of kills via sticky (I got a present for you)

:Grenadier
    # of mines placed (I have cookies for you)
    # of kills via arty strike (Love from above)
    # of kills via mines (These are dangerous times)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  13. flasche

good ones
    this is a must have for empires

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Accuracy is the one I kinda want, just so I know how many bullets I'm wasting.

I agree with senor awesome though, times commanded would be cool but not win ratio. Maybe somehow link it into that opt in screen like:

Lazybum(#25 times)
    JGF(#1000 times)
    Noob32a(#0 times)
    or something.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Times commed per se would be tricky since people tend to hop in and out of the CV, so instead I'd do times voted into the command seat.

16. Beerdude26

That sounds good! Other ways of tracking that are indeed a bit tricky, like having to be in comm seat for a percentage of the round.

17. Sitka

Sitka Member

Imfuckingplying that any stats which aren't completely useless wont result in its own variation of k/d whoring etc as long as people like lawliet is around (see that one thread)

"bitch just post your stats on how much time you've spent in medium before you talk about tank chassis upgrade issues"

But that's going to happen anyway. Really, there are some nice suggestions in this thread. Not in this thread to purely hate.

Also, it would be cool to have some stats on turret efficiency and such (times fired, targets shot at, targets eliminated, damage dealt). I mean, it might surprise people how little/much a turret in a certain spot can do.

This is one of those things though. Imagine the rage it will bring to have people voting for someone purely because they have spent the most time fooling around in 4 player matches or simply because they tend to command more.
    The whole idea is to get people who command less to command more often so every game isn't UGL apc rush with no flavoring number nine billion.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I didn't quite think of that Sitka. The people who command so much are people who actually enjoy it or know that no one else wants to do it, and by virtue of knowing how to drop buildings will opt in just so the game can continue. I certainly fall into the latter category. I mean how often do you see 2 people actually opt in at the same time? It is always a case of someone saying "I'll do it" and everyone going ok because they don't want to be bothered by the frustration that is commanding.

When I suggest adding it to opt in it is more so vets know ahead of time what to expect from the commander and can guide them a little better. Like I mean anyone who plays regularly already knows who can command, its more of which commander flavor you want.

I do agree about ugl apc rushes, it is annoying that 85% of matches have them.

19. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Yeah, I doubt when I opt in that anybody who votes for me doesn't know what they're in for. The same goes for all the other six or so people who actively command.

You vote in JGF you get absorbant.
    You vote in FN you get rush tactics and squad micromanagement.
    You vote in Brentor and you win.
    You vote in Lazybum and you get sad that Lazybum isn't out there single-handedly wasting your foes.
    You vote in me and you have to listen to me the whole match - then you lose.

I see where you're coming from, Sitka. Of course, from what I've just said there's no point implementing that into the opt in window with the size of our current player base.

It would still be a stat I would be interested in having access to in some way, but you've made a good point for not making it easily available through the opt in window.

20. Beerdude26

What about a weighted value of "number of players" * "time of round" (if voted in) ? If you command small groups, you won't get as much "comm experience" as otherwise, and the longer a round, the more it becomes? I dunno, this is starting to crack at the seams a bit :p