Stupidly big swords

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hendar23, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I suppose it depends how close you are...if the kick is enough to alter the aim even a few degrees...I've fired a shotgun from the hip and even a heavier weapon with two hands it jumps the aim off like crazy.

Anyway, he was speaking from experience, so I'll believe him over guys who shoot modern weapons at shooting ranges. He never told me much about the War, he talked less and less about it as he got older, but I know he saw plenty of crazy shit.

My Dad lost all his fucking medals, can you believe that?

2. Zeke

Zeke Banned

a lot of crazy shit has been done by soldiers, so yea i do believe he could have lost all his medals for something he did. (especially in vietnam >_>)

(i dont know why he lost them so dont take it personally, if it was deserting or war crimes for "following orders" or w/e, thats up for u if u wanna tell... or if you even know why he lost them)

my grandpa never talked regarding WW2 to the point he died, but my dad told me about that my grandpa thought the whole war was horrible (pretty much).

note: if you fire a pistol 1handed... for granted its much more inaccurate than with 2 hands... especially if u are doing rapid firing which i think is the case of ur grandpa (as war pistols are designed for fast firing close range)
    also, depending on design they give more or less force vertically... making it less accurate.

3. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

I'm pretty sure he said his dad misplaced the medals.. never to be found again until some random event happens that reveals them. :p
    Hell my parents found a ring in their apartment when they lived in New York some 20+ years ago that had a couples name & the year 1911 written on the inside; kinda sad, but a little cheery knowing that that ring represented someone's love for another person almost one hundred years ago.

Oh and uh flamethrowers, BFG 9000, & The Splicer from Resistance 2. >.>

4. Spooky

Spooky Member

Im pretty sure radium is a gas..

Never mind I was thinking of radon. also if it's used in the 20's and 30's how would they get past the fact that they had no anti-radioactive technology?

it is extremely radioactive.

5. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

best melee zombie weapon (according to the guide) is a crowbar. 2 reasons; 1) will not break, does not need top be sharpened 2) has alternate, read non-combat, uses

i think the best melee weapon for anti-zombie would be a fire ax / hatchet because most of the damage comes from the weight so keeping it super sharp is not a big deal but even if relatively blunt having a wedge will make skull penetration easier. as for other uses, can a crowbar cut shit down?

6. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

No, it can take less loads before it breaks, but due to the fact that it only has half the density of steel you can build a lot lighter structures with it, or the other way round: a structure of the same weight takes higher loads.

Hence the usage of Titanium in aerospace, but not so much in other industries (it's freaking expensive too).

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

because in the 20 and 30, thanks to the bold in your quote, they didnt even knew it was that bad

additionally i feel like going off topic, and tell you a little story about my grandfather
    i don't know why, but i am not surprised why yours lost the medallions, since we had a similar story

my grandfather was a silent man, as far as i know he never said a word to me other then "hand me the soda pop please" in the last 6 months that he died, and looked sooo lonely

i always thought he was just a lonely man, a man realizing that his money will not follow him in his death, because he was very rich, and did everything for money and possession while spending very little. we knew he went to Russia for a couple of months under ww2 for an unknown reason because he never wanted to talk about it, he never talked about anything what happened

when he died, we found a German SS uniform in the attic with 2 guns, old rusted away gun shells and what was left of identification papers(this was a huge attic, let me state it, bigger in square meters then some houses in the same village filled with 1800's cabinets and other reliques) so we thought the worst, and by the time we found an old package of letters, we already accepted he did some nasty stuff in ww2

yet the letters showed that he was part of some secret group, and that he was even deported by the Germans to drive trucks to Stalingrad with supplies or so, and that he escaped there and returned home somehow hid in previously mentioned attic (its really good to hide, you could really hide in plain sight due to its big size) and that the Germans took his father after that and made him surrender himself again to trade with the father, he had to go back to Russia, then the sh*t hit the fan in Stalingrad and he again ran away and this time he could hide and the Germans left him alone.

we know now he did some pretty "neat" stuff in Russia to stop the German advance, and we know he was part of some resistance front, but we don't actually know what went on besides him driving "a truck" and he never wanted to talk about it (90% of what we know is due to the letters, he didn't even tell his wife who died 4 months before him)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  8. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^go into a fancy department store to get a pair of shoes and get x-rayed so they can tell your size through your current shoe, feeling a biz queesy? just drink this bottle of irradiated water.

radiation was a miracle cure all until they found it killed you.

9. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

It wasn't my grandfather who lost them. My Dad, his son, literally lost them. He misplaced my grandfathers medals. He said he put them in a cupboard and never saw them again. He was so embarrassed about it he never told his dad, who never asked. (He turned down an MBE, he wasn't into awards.) I know the war messed with my granddads head too, the poor guy was never quite right after, but then who wasn't effected by it? He was a real kindhearted guy. It's hard to imagine him, you know, murdering people. I can understand why he didn't talk about it much, but I would have like to know how he got his medals. I know he was a Sargent, he was at the beach landings, and he liberated a concentration camp, but not much else. Oh and I saw a photo of him with some other soldiers.

He told me one joke as kid. He said their socks got so smelly because they couldn't change them for weeks at a time that they would take them off and throw them at the Germans like grenades. I was very young when he told me this and I took it literally. I had an image in my head for years of Germans running away in terror from stinking socks....

10. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

My great-uncle never unwrapped his medals, my dad didn't after he gave them to him, which I think is nice. My granddad's medals were safe, then his dog stole the box and ruined them...

11. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

When dealing with sword bearers or zombies alike, I'd preferably have a Snayperskaya vintovka Dragunova with incendiary ammunition.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Dragunov sniper rifle?

back on topic:

[​IMG]

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

14. Spooky

Spooky Member

I think we evolved past spears, are we on the dragnov now?
    Age of [​IMG]

FTW

15. Zeke

Zeke Banned

choreographed scene...
    unnesacairy moves all over...
    killerstrikes which were available werent executed...
    bamboo spear vs a tiny shortsword which seem to strike by such a force that it could cut halfway through a paper...
    flying men...
    nowhere near how real combat action would be...
    wtb katana/longsword/whateva or dualwield plx?... in the end he finally figured that cutting the bamboo part is made of win though... yet with a shortsword i totally fail to see how he won

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Lol, how is that on topic? The topic is "Stupidly big swords" :p

17. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

It's supposed to be drama and beatuty over realism.

A spear is a battlefield weapon. If I had a few guys with me (or a few hundred) I 'd go for spears. For one on one combat though, I'd take a sword. There is a reason swords have been around for so long. While other weapons are used in response to various martial technologies and so come and go in popularity, swords are versatile. Gunpowder finished off the spear hundreds of years before the sword. I can't go into all the reasons why here, but there are pages and pages on the subject in books from the Roman times through the Middle Ages to the modern day, from East and West.

18. Zeke

Zeke Banned

that flexible type of spear shown in the video is a more versatile type of spear and works in more areas than just big groups :)
    (well it kinda suck in big groups)

normaly spears in war are tremendously long and stiff in order to impale horses and several foot-soldiers in larger battles.

the one in the video is made for more mobile type of combat.

against a tiny shortsword like that he shouldnt be losing =/

19. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

To counter swords you have glaives though, a spear usually no longer than five or six feet, the size of an ellongated two-handed sword. It's also much lighter, due to only the head and pommel being made out of metals. Some spears even were equipped with head-mounted crossguards to enable parrying.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

3 words, full auto crossbow, it cocks automatically

I can imagine the ads, "My arms and fingers used to be sore from all that manual cocking. I'm sure thankful for my auto-cocker."

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009