Stamina upgrade removes or shortens out of breath slowdown.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by urethra franklin, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Nothing easy anyways but, yes if the values were scripted things could be tried out and possible better balance discovered while not needing a coder to modify things.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I think you could make it so that the code is read from an outside file

Dunno how feasible it would be though

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You'd need a scripting language for that though, and I thought lua was broken in this version forever.

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Take...your..time?
    I only spent 70 hours playing Empires in the last 3 months anyway.

Even though I'd say this really is one of those things that "should've done 5 years ago".

5. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

Yah the stamina thing is stupid... I mean... damn its just running ffs... i'm sure it'd be stupid and impossible... but the reality is, the lil people can run... but can they run and then fire accurately? no.. no one could...unless maybe something like... stamina upgrade? basically... (and I'm sure everyone will hate this cause its hard to learn curve) when the stamina bar gets emptier, and emptier... the aim accuracy is lower... but is represented with the same concept as the sniper rifle with the whole floating cross hair trick.... am I making sense with that?

6. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

I played that.. ARMA 3 game.. it was free to play on steam.. and they did something like that... you could run and run basically, your run speed didn't really expire as much as the accuracy and being able to shoot properly when "fatigued" as they called it in that game. you could still run ..at least faster than walk speed.. but you couldn't aim cause the cross hair floated ... like the scunt rifle used to do... or maybe it still does

7. MomoZMonster

MomoZMonster Member

so bullet point

1. get rid of stupid can't run delay cause of stamina out

2. no more listening to super cyber hero dying cause he sprinted for 2 seconds

3. create an aiming balance , similar to the scunt rifle floating cross hair,

ref. Arma 3 ,

4. i'm passing out , thank you and goodluck

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Aside from the triple post, I dig your idea :)

9. Lazybum

I kinda found that accuracy hit after running rather annoying. Mostly because I didn't really have any good indicators of when and why it was being affected, and sometimes it felt like I had a major accuracy hit when I only jogged 15 feet. Course it could be I was hit in the arm and didn't know, again because arma doesn't really tell you too much.

Still Empires feels more arcadey then realistic, so that kinda thing would slow down combat which I'm not sure many people want.

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I hate the idea of there being a correlation between stamina and accuracy. That really would just slow the game down because you can't jump and run around while shooting bitches. Realistically, it makes sense, but realistic doesn't mean fun.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Regardless of which way you do it, more stamina/less out of breath state is good.

The reason stamina was limited to begin with (I thought) was bunnyhopping, though it is a cool mechanic as well. I just don't know if we need the breathless state to be so long or so arduous. It would be interesting if you could recover stamina faster by say standing still or crouching. Then you could really sprint from cover to cover.

A very cool thing to do would also be to have your sprint speed vary with how much stamina you had left. Where a 100% bar you would perhaps go 30% faster (of sprint, not entire speed), and have that naturally drain to a slower amount as you depleted your bar. That way, at least you'd have some more intuitive feedback. You could do it the reverse, too - have sprint gradually get faster the longer you hold it (based on time held instead of %stamina left to prevent abuse), until you run out.

I dunno, I'm still dreaming of the bio-energy idea :p

12. Lazybum

Tell me more.;)

13. Z100000M

This is actually really good.
    Regen is fine if you are just moving around, but if you want to climb something, if you miss the jump or there are alot of jumps to make, you get gassed instantly.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=13636
    I've made a fair few game mechanic suggestions that get put into a narrow context and forgotten. And a few more that I could have made happen if I'd actually contributed something worthwhile to the mod.

And some that stank :p
    Stamina loss as fall-damage penalty? Or just jumps taking more stamina to do?

15. Z100000M

nah, i was just describing a situation that your change would improved upon.

Though i do like this stamina fall damage thing you said

16. Lazybum

I'm kinda amused, this thread and quite a few others have an interesting idea that could be easy to expand on and make extra worthwhile content, but no one says much of anything in them.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That's basically what it was like for many years. We were feature locked for a very long time, so even great ideas from lots of people went unheeded.

I kinda wonder what would happen if I bumped them all now, though.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Do it, not for the luls, and not for the glory, do it for great justice!
    take off every zig!

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You already recover stamina faster in crouched or prone states.

20. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

It doesn't as far as I know and as far as the code says.