Stamina under water

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metalhead, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I just don't see what this suggestion adds to the game... aside from realism, which, as everyone has said already, isn't an important concern.

The original post seemed to like the idea of someone being unable to run frantically to the water to escape, since they'd drown. But, uh, that weakens infantry. We don't need suggestions that weaken infantry right now. (And even aside from that, I'm not sure I see how it adds anything fun, useful, or balance-enhancing.)

The thing is, it isn't logical and self-explaining. I don't know how you look at things in Empires, but I (and, I think, most people) look at it like a game. The stamina bar is not some detailed biorythmic simulation of my character's physical state; it's a limit for how much I can run and jump, in there to keep people from bunnyhopping and sprinting everywhere.

You want logical and self-explaining? Why are you so hung up on swimming, then? There's a much more problematic thing about stamina that comes up as soon as you start to bring logic into it: Unless you're a crouched rifleman with "Dig In", your stamina doesn't go down when you get shot repeatedly in the stomach.

Yeah... explain that one, then we can talk logic.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  2. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

And there are no such things IRL called a Health Number (although your vital signs would MOST reflect that), so if you wanted realism bleeding should be put in and there is no health bar.

I'm pretty sure noone wants that.

3. Empty

Empty Member

"I'M UNSURE BUT I HAVE A GUT FEELING I REQUIRE A MEDIC"

We should have to set up tents where surgery goes on, and people die of infections because the medical assistance isn't good enough, and we'll have to amputate arms, and people will cry in their beds because they'll never walk again because of a stupid war.

4. Demented

Demented Member

Infections take hours. That wouldn't be much use... We can't even implement the smell.
    The last two would work, though.

5. Whiskey Mike Delta

Whiskey Mike Delta Member

I like this idea, because you can't tell when you're gonna run out of breathe. The main reason I support this, is because this feature is in Half life 2. (The suit energy for sprinting, flashlight, and oxygen)

6. Whiskey Mike Delta

Whiskey Mike Delta Member

No, those are called field nukes, they have a small explosion for a nuke but the downside is that the radiation gets in the wind and kills everyone (on your side too).

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

NOW WATCH ME YULE

I think I just raised the level of discourse in this thread.

8. Minozake

Minozake Member

This would definitely add more usefulness to the enhanced stamina skill.

9. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

OHMYGOD I CAN'T SPRINT NOW THAT I'M USING MY FLASHLIGHT FOR TOO LONG. OMG LOOK, NOW MY FLASHLIGHT ISN'T WORKING BECAUSE I'M RUNNING OUT OF OXYGEN.

Honestly, the HEV suit looks reasonably light yet you can't run when it runs out of flashlight juice.

The only way I get enhanced stamina is if the enemy is using plasma cannons to overheat my guy and make him gawdawfully sweaty and exhaust.

But seriously I only get it if I'm scouting with the pewpew rifle, and that's pretty unserious already.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I use stamina up a lot.. It prolly gets you an extra 2 or 3 bunny hops in.

11. Empty

Empty Member

No it doesn't, it's 2x regen, not 2x max, it's most effective as a sniper to let you fire accurately a lot faster.

12. Etova Kala

Etova Kala Member

Not to mention all the broken legs when jumping down from high altitudes and concussions from near explosions.

13. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

He means the stamina is increased to a point that while you are jumping your stamina increases enough in the meanwhile so that you may get in an extra jump in (more than when you don't have stamina increase) ;)

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Guys, this is the only community I know where you can find such silly and stupid answers and so many posts which are totally off topic. :pathetic:
    Nearly every discussion here gets fucked up because there are so many people who just want to flame, don't read the whole answers to their posts, seam to be too dumb to understand anything or give useless answers like "It's not good.". I mean... did anyone say something concerning the first part of my suggestion? In fact it may be... who knows?
    It's not everyone and there are always a few people who are trying to discuss... but there are too few of them. I made a last try suggesting something and I thought it has at least a chance for a "normal" discussion because it's quite simple to describe in a short text, is simple enough so everyone understands it and there aren't much arguments against it... but no way here.

I don't have time to write the same things again and again just for giving some people a little word or anything that leads them to an absurd new idea for a flamepost and adds two or three additional pages of crap to the thread.

Just to be fair I'll give it a last try and answer to some of the real questions...

Most of you are fixated too much on the word "realism" I used. So here's my try to make the point clear:
    This is a quite small suggestion but I think that the small things are the ones which make a game good and are needed for the big things to be appreciated.
    The main suggestion is either removing the out-of-stamina-sound or changing it under water. Plain and simple, without any disadvantages except of the little time needed for coding.
    The other thing was an additional suggestion which was mainly meant to solve the problem that you don't know how long you can stay under water and to make the whole thing about air under water much clearer. It doesn't necessarily have to be bound to stamina...
    You may say that it is already clear at the moment but try to think how it is as a new player. You would need some time to get the following facts:

1. You start getting hurt if you stay too long under water... even if there's no indicator how long it takes for that.
    2. If you go back to the surface, your health restores to the point it was before. (right?)
    3. The "air" gets restored to full immediately as soon as your nose comes out of the water even if it's only for a second.

My second suggestion would allow a new player to realize what's happening much faster. He would already be aware of the remaining "air" the first time he jumps into water and would think what could happen if he is still under water when no "air" is left. He would see how fast it restores without having to test it (like it is now). Realism is only a little pro in this suggestion, but if I read some of the posts here it seams that "realism" is an absolute no-go and therefore the suggestion must be WRONG... ;)

15. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

This isn't swimmania 10000, so it wouldn't be completely necessary to do this. IMO its fine as it is, not many maps have water, and the only one where I could think this could apply to is the slaughtered bridge. If you were a new player you'd have the sense that - 1. You're losing health 2. You've been underwater for 30 seconds 3. What r happening? 4. The deepest water is in slaughtered, and after one play of slaughtered they should know there isn't a secret chest in the bottom of the lake.

Point is, water nor stamina is a big issue in this game so we shouldn't be making a deal out of it, if anything is going to be changed put an oxygen bar and that's it.

16. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

And it isn't like in real life where holding your breath underwater you can feel how much oxygen is left. So a gauge of some sort is definitely required.

In the game, after a while of being in the water, you suddenly get a flash on the screen and start losing hp. There isn't any indication you are running out of breath, just losing hp when you stay underwater too long.

17. Inceptor

Inceptor Member

Is this really going to affect game play or could the dev's be fixing something more major?

1. You're losing 10 or so health. Live with it.
    2. Water isn't a vital part of this game
    3a. Unless you're swimming deep to collect seashells you can get back to the surface very quickly preventing drowning.
    3b. The only water deep enough to not give you enough time to resurface would probably be slaughtered.
    4. Not even 1% of the game is spent underwater, and when it is you will 95% of the time be able to resurface.

18. Empty

Empty Member

so 0.05% of the time drowning is an massive issue.

19. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

Empires needs a swimming tutorial, stat.

Then perhaps the frogman class can be implemented.

20. Empty

Empty Member

And amphibious AFVs.