squad skills

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by OuNin, Jan 6, 2013.

?

FOUR favorite squad skills?

1. [E] Mass Revive

85.7%
  2. [E] Mass Heal

80.0%
  3. [S] Recon

11.4%
  4. [S] Mass Hide

71.4%
  5. [G] Artillery

88.6%
  6. [G] Damage

5.7%
  7. [R] Charge

20.0%
  8. [R] Armor

5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Don't dodge the issue. We're using an existing and mostly intuitive mechanic to implement a skill that encourages teamwork.

Just because you made up an OP version of that skill doesn't meant the concept is a failure. I can just as easy think up a not-horrible version. What if the scout had a 3-pt squad arty that gave 50 heat to target with a direct hit? Now you need three hits to freeze a vehicle just driving and two to stop a vehicle that's attacking. That perfectly fits into Reznov's defensive motif.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im not dodging the issue at all!

How is preventing teameffort-hard last ditch apcrush using one man supposed to promote teamwork.

The heat is shit because you have no way of telling how heated is the tank. Hit a cool tank and bang, you get nothing, but hit someone thats 51% and suddenly its dead. There is hardly any middle ground here and thats the issue.

3. ImSpartacus

I don't know what APC you're driving, but I rarely ever get past 50% heat. I spent too much time driving around, and I think that's the point of driving an APC.

4. Z100000M

Spartacus, why does everyone have to explain everything step by step to you.

As for apcs:, you get 2/3 hits of, its dead. And thats only it its insta casts, beacuse youd be struggling to hit anything if its was arty.

5. ImSpartacus

I'm not proud enough to act like I understand every aspect of what someone says.

I think we've discussed this enough to determine that some sort of hitscan skill is just a bad idea, no matter what it does.

6. Reznov

Reznov Member

Too all the people who didn't read the nerfs to a possible heatstrike skill here's the list:

3-5 squad points.
    1min Cooldown after using the skill.
    Must be in range (twice the range of a sticky stun throw) to show effect or else wasted points.
    Actually have a SCOUT as squad lead.
    Does not affect commander vehicles.

If you are really THAT CLOSE to a scout as a fully loaded APC driver you are doing something wrong. Also remember this, it doesn't affect early full APC rushes (which are the most likely) since it actually costs squad points. And for the last time NO it does not make a tank "stop" since overheating (like when you fired too much) does not last enough to make you stop completely.

7. Z100000M

Pride has nothing to do with this.
    Think Candles, even if you make a mistake of anysort, he will get that and compensate. He will also come up with a researched point if he disagrees.

Also, if we leave hitscan and arty, we are left with no means of delivering said effect, as I doubt devs would be ok with implementing asspull scout rocket.

As for reznovs post:

I disagee with wasting points part. Guess range is really bad imo. Just make it fail if there is no target.

8. Reznov

Reznov Member

Well the possible targeting with F-menu would be just to lock the target, press F, go to squad menu, heatstrike. It would require some coding to make a hitscan squad skill... you know, actually aiming with the menu on.

9. ImSpartacus

Why are we leaving arty? That's a tried and true method of delivering squad skill punishment.

10. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

If you can't dodge a heat arty in sbend, it would be impossible to dodge a squad arty, yet over and over again I've seen tanks crammed together move out of the way of squad arties in that very situation. It's not that hard.

Yeah, yeah, teamwork. I knew that this "argument" would come up eventually, and I can just say here that this squad skill doesn't require enough teamwork for too little gain. In Slaughtered, you will always have the lone apc driver who always attempts to get past people's lines, or the super good tank driver (see: Yobbo) who can weave in and out of enemy tanks and draw their fire. If Yobbo or an APC driver therefore were to drive into enemy tanks and not get shot at, the rest of the team would naturally follow suit as well. The NF tanks would be sitting ducks, and the game would instantly be lost, at least conventionally. No teamwork would really even be involved.

Now obviously, you don't like my slaughtered example, so I'll give an example on dustorm. Let's say you see 5 NF tanks running over to fight 5 BE tanks. You, as a BE scout on the center of the hill, overheat the NF tanks. GG BE wins that tank push. At the very best, NF has biodiesel and they run away, but BE still takes territory. At the worst, NF doesn't have biodiesel and loses all of their tanks, and BE takes the game.

This would be even worse in a competitive game, as both teams would field a hide scout to attempt to overheat the enemy tanks. What you'd probably end up getting here would be scout v. scout combat; whichever scout could kill/snipe/countersnipe the enemy overheater would lead his team to dominate tank combat. Bar the role of the commander, a single player should never have that much responsibility or influence on how the game flows. (Even ninjas need to work as a team most of the time: squad hides, 17-25 mines, etc).

Now you're talking about opportunity cost. I'll return back to the Slaughtered example. Let's say you have 15 squad points. With the current way you are looking at this mechanic (not necessarily the way other people like Reznov have proposed it), that would amount to five overheats. Five crippled heavy tanks. If you're a grenadier, you would need at least 25-50 points to have the same effect; more, if the heavy tanks are only lightly damaged. And although slaughtered is a map where squad arty drops relatively fast, it's still too easy to dodge them, and there's no guarantee that all five-ten+ of those squad arties would even hit anything. So yes, at minimum, it would theoretically take at least ten more points to even come close to equaling the same effect in this scenario, but in an actual game, it would take many more squad points, provided you can even get the squad arties to hit anything.

The more I start to read your posts, the less I think you've actually tried to squad arty anything. If you make the delivery instant hitscan heat to target, you have a 100% chance of success. If you make the delivery emp squad arty, you have more or less a 0% chance to hit against a non stationary tank. It's extremely difficult to squad arty tanks in sbend if they're constantly moving; I have literally never seen anyone be that effective with squad arties. So honestly, the slaughtered example where "tanks don't move a lot" doesn't help your argument, because as long as they move at all, a EMP squad arty would be difficult to connect. Now, this argument holds on any other map, to be honest; I was just using slaughtered because it's the easiest to visualize, but on a map like dustorm, yeah, good luck getting your squad arties to even graze five moving tanks, considering how long it takes for arty to drop on that map.

And just keep in mind, I've already agreed with the way this skill has been proposed by Reznov, as I have stated several times at this point, which you have seemingly ignored. So I'm assuming that I'm arguing against an instant, heat-to-target skill with no cooldown and unlimited range that does about 50% heat and costs a mere 3 squad points.

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Suggestion: Do what Reznov suggested in his last post. Make the heat power work like overheat debuffs in Mass Effect 1. The weapon heat stays at 0/unaffected until you fire, boosting the heat straight to 90+%. That way it doesn't hamper APC rushes but stills saves a squad that is about to die to mass HE/HMG.

12. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Guys, how are you going to show it on enemy tanks? "Poof" "Overheat"?

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Nice red particle made by Empty around the tank's cannon?

14. Reznov

Reznov Member

Smoke weed everyday?

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

erryday

16. ‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder

‡|JPL|‡ Corpsegrinder Member

Aww shit. Sorry. Didn't see you said FOUR. Maybe ill read next time. Cause I use them all.