Spawning with full ammo. What you think?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Dragoon, Aug 10, 2009.

?

Spawn with full ammo?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2009.
  1. No, it would hurt gameplay. People need to worry for ammo right away!

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, soldiers should start battle ready!

28 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

I did not say that you were a noob.

Well, I donĀ“t think that a majority of the community finds it hard to hit someone with a shotty.

And if you encountered enemies with Heavy Machineguns and Carbines then you should head back to replenish your ammunition. You might want to switch weapon to, for example a Carbine or a Heavy Rifle(I do not reccomend a scout rifle trough).

It's not a big deal either if you die, remember; Pistols are for close combat.

People are often already wounded before you encounter them in combat. So at close combat 2 shots of a shotty can easily kill someone, maybe except for those with HP upgrade and dig-in.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

What about them? Full mines/grenades are useless unless you can get into a position to use them, full grenades are useless anyway unless you have an ammobox or at a lot of players to use them, so what's the difference?

Why does it need to be only stupid selective ammo types that are filled? You have a gun, it is for shooting people, you should have ammo to do that. Really speaking only a few weapons in empires need to be ammo limited, most of them you could give unlimited ammo and it wouldn't make a difference.

If you want to add it for the first spawn, get the mapper to add an armory to the starting buildings.

I fail to see how it could ever be overpowered, getting ammo simply adds ten seconds to your spawn time, it doesn't make you magically superpowered when you're full on ammo, it's just annoying to have to do every time you spawn. The only time it could possibly be more powerful than normal is if you dropped a rax in an enemy base, but that's what the armory is for, if you can drop two buildings in an enemy base and build them both, the base is obviously undefended and for the same amount of cash and people you could drive an APC into it with exactly the same effect, except the APC would be reusable. It could never be overpowered in the late game because the late game is about tanks, not infantry, no amount of infantry ammo will stop a dual HE heavy spewing shells at everything.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  3. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If you made a ninja rax and spawned "20 grens" to kill an enemy rax you would have enough ammo to do it with out this full ammo idea. Most the time an engineer drops an ammo box out there to spam nades anyways. I don't think that's a good enough reason to not give full ammo on spawn.

The armory idea's not bad, but I dunno about the coding side of it.

4. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

Well I wasn't saying it was overpowered, I was wondering if it could be overpowered.

Personally I don't think so, but a few here do :pathetic:

But I agree,

Start Game - Full Ammo

Armory next to Barracks - Full Ammo

And more stickies/mines is usefull early in the game.

If buildings/object armory is in *** range of Barracks, people spawning in the barracks get + *** or full ammo. ?????

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Oh so your a coder?

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Fairly easy?

Stick something like a radius trigger on the barracks, if there's an armory in it, fill ammo on spawn, if not, don't. I'm not a coder but I know the basic functions of the source engine, finding an object and checking the range between it and another object is easy, as is running that check whenever a building is completed, so when an armory building is completed, check to see if there's a rax nearby, and if it's close enough, enable ammo giving on spawn in that rax.

In any case, the ninja rax point has another issue, the defenders would spawn with extra grenades too, so it works both ways.

7. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Well, in wc3 mapping you can do exactly that, + more. And that's in crappy GUI. So I guess it's pretty easy to do a:

IF{ +ammo
    }
    Else{ NOTHING!
    }

8. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

Here is the story of a Russian bullet.
    In WW2, Russia was fighting Germany, but the only way to get supplies to Russia was... lengthy.
    A bullet is made in the US and is bound for Russia. The bullet is loaded on a ship that sails over to Russia, is loaded onto a train to cross Siberia, is loaded onto another train to get to the supply depo, then is taken by convoy to the front where it is loaded into a gun and the soldier misses.

sort of true story...

Not addressing any issues of damage or balance, there are lot of weapons that suffer the Russian bullet effect.
    Rifleman stickeys -increase and start with 3
    Gren RPGs - start with 6-8. Half the time I play as gren, I'm camping an ammo box or looking for one.
    Mines - start with 4
    All the smg's that start with a clip and a third - 1 loaded + 2 full spares
    who picks up a third of a clip of ammo?

The argument of "if grens start with more mines they can rush at the start" is not valid.

With more mines/ammo
    Com drops VF
    Team - grens builds VF
    Grens rush enemy CV

As it is now
    Com drops VF
    Team - grens builds VF
    Grens load up on ammo while the VF is being built.
    Grens rush enemy CV

Not addressing this.

9. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

I agree, especially with the *increase sticky limit*.

This basicly means "What you say is bullshit"!?

:pathetic:

10. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Banned

makes ammo boxes useless if not spamming nades

11. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

Since when do people no longer need to reload?

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

or ammo for tanks

13. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Even if it were true, so what? Keeping ammo boxes for the sake of having ammo boxes doesn't make sense.

There are plenty of reasons to stick together, riflemen stick with engies for healing, revs, and wall cover, engies stick with riflemen for protection against other riflemen.

Grens and scouts need to be brought into this system as at the moment they don't really serve much of a purpose, but you can make grens into something that fills the gaps in the rifleman's abilities with AT and mortar fire and scouts can be made into something else, maybe a dedicated attack class or something, I dunno.

The point is that keeping things because you've always had them is not a sensible thing, you should always assess whether the things need to stay.

14. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

I agree, it doesn't make sence whatsoever to give infantry a limited amount of ammunition, it only slows the game down.

15. Omneh

Omneh Member

Fabrizio has been playing this game for years.

16. o_O

o_O Member

I feel like this would solve the massive "how to get ammoz" problems and nade spam problems at the same time if it was done right.

Killing a defended rax might become harder though. Without a limitless supply of nades a group of players might actually have to set up turrets, rush in and shoot the repair engi because they won't just be able to throw grenades until the thing goes down. That sounds like a good thing but I suppose it could be a problem in actual gameplay as a barracks with people repairing and spawning in it would require a whole lot of people focus firing and charging it at the same time.

Edit: what about APC's? Remember, if your an engi then BE APC's come with a free grenade launcher that never has to reload.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  17. Fabrizio

Fabrizio Banned

This.

There might be problems when enemies keep spawning with full ammo and can easily push attacking enemies back.

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Dude you have enough ammo to keep enemies out of your rax to begin with...

More ammo doesn't make people more powerful, as I said, it just makes them as powerful for longer.

if you have ammo, you are at normal power, if you have no ammo, you are at zero power, it is not a scale, it's binary.

19. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

erm... when in a baracks you have infinate ammo already, though you have to press about 4 buttons every time you run out of your original 30% ammo.

20. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

no, only two (class selection key and accept button)