Some changes in 2.25

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by Kylegar, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

That would be a bitch to manage, all those scripts, but the command should theoretically be setable in the map .cfg, so it should work.

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah um that is a terrible idea

3. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

<rant>
    Agreed. Mostly because people keep trying to take district and ass rape it to 'balance' it.
    </rant>

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Because the best way to improve stuff is competition. I'd love a smaller server to give us a run for a money, because then that would be motivation to try improve our stuff further.

I see where people are coming from though, but it just feels like it's going to make life difficult for small servers to get anywhere when we hit steamworks. In some ways, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, because all the servers which are popular will be the ones done by prior empires players, but it's difficult to tell.

I just see it like plugins which servers develop for themselves to keep themselves on the map for everyone. They would always have the option of releasing for other people to amend and make better, to further their server, but with the tradeoff of other servers having it. I basically think it could be useful because it would add competition, which is nothing but a positive thing for gameservers as they'll all try and improve every aspect to put themselves above the rest, be it admins, plugins, mapcycle, scripts, etc.

5. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

As long as Viper and G4TC EU servers stay in vanilla Empires scripts and settings this is fine with me.

And Demented, I don't recall you playing Empires Au... Don't judge something of which you don't have any experience. Thanks.

This reminds me of your and mine talk some weeks backwards...

Didn't it go something like this?:

T: Hey, my weapons which should push stuff around aren't pushing stuff around. Help me.
    Me: Nah, I won't help.
    T: Meh, I'll download Au and copy the lines from there then.

But yeah. Au was already long gone from the internet.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  6. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

I know that once this comes out, I'll be trying my hand at these scripts.
    What about custom particles though? Could a server download custom particles for their custom scripts?

Not surprised.

No, you would just try and get admin on it.

7. Empty

Empty Member

For custom particles we'd need to put in some form of dynamic particles_manifest for each server, it can be done, but changing particle effects between servers is rather stupid tbh. You've got a green explosion, a red explosion and a blue explosion already, and different effects on a per-server basis will confuse the fuck out of everyone. "Why is bio red" "What the fuck is that electricity".

I'm beginning to go against this idea because I'd imagine the most popular scripts are not going to be very fun for anyone but the noob pubbers.

8. Demented

Demented Member

Actually, I did join the server once... The scripts weren't installed on my end–at least I don't think they were–so I didn't judge AU for anything I saw there. (I just wanted to see how badly I would desync, probably.)

It was the tank weapons in the changelist for which I dismissed AU off hand. If I recall correctly, there were something like three levels of plasma cannon, ranking up to the level of obscenely powerful, and other changes were in a similar vein.
    I've had enough of that sort of thing in UT.
    (And oh was it freaking hilarious back then. Poor bots. Poor, poor bots.)

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Fixed for the epic!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  10. Demented

Demented Member

You could do better than that if you weren't drunk.

11. Meliarion

Meliarion Member

I hope there will be some ingame way to know the stats of weapons, as on one sever the scout rifle might be as useless as it currently is, on another it might be an awp.
    Plasma might be useless on one server but overpowered on another, requiring server specific research plans.
    The differences between servers will make it hard for newer players as the effectiveness of something on one server can differ from its effectiveness on another one, especially if the player does not know that scripts can change from one server to another.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2009
  12. Mr. Weedy

If you hadn't the scripts, you missed over 60% of stuff I added. Including sounds, new infantry weapons and the new order I put the vehicle weapons plus many many other smaller changes.

Anyway. There weren't 3 types of plasma weapons there. These are the weapons I added:

Breach Shell Cannon (Removed later because it didn't work as it should have)
    Liquid Hydrogen Cannon
    Bio Acid cannon
    Sledgehammer
    Iron Fist
    Heavy HE MC
    Burst Fire Cannon
    Light Electricity Cannon
    Heavy Electricity Cannon
    Burst Fire Artillery Cannon
    Heavy Caliber Plasma Artillery
    Biological Heavy Caliber Artillery Cannon
    Heavy Caliber Artilley Cannon
    Carpet Grenade Launcher

-And non-weapons in weapons list:
    Aluminium Components
    Aluminium Supports
    Biological Replacement Parts
    Complex Bio Replacement Parts

Only plasma thing I added was Heavy caliber plasma arty but all Heavy caliber artilleries were only on very early testing stage and heavy caliber also required new research to get modified artillery chassis types which actually could hold those big cannons.

And besides, if you test something and which doesn't please you, you aren't helping at all if you don't give feedback. Even it would be something like, I didn't like this weapon X because of reason Y.

But of course that would require you to actually install the stuff you are told to and try it out a few times instead of just one quick drop by.

Anyway, I have no plans to continue Au but I like to talk at it. ;P So don't be afraid. (And if you had installed all the stuff I added, you would be... first or second one who actually gave negative feedback on it out of 20 testers.)

13. Demented

Demented Member

Odd. Either I mistook AU for some other script mod (there were at least 2 floating around at the time), or I managed to get a completely wrong impression. Which is too bad, because that directly led to me not playing AU and not giving negative feedback. =P

14. Trickster

Actually, we're talking about 1 line, in fact, 1 value, in the scripts, in which you wouldn't mention that the values needed to push stuff (considering atm they don't do anything and they're in the low hundreds in the scripts) were actually required to be 6 figures high. So I simply set it to 1 million for the sake of testing to help myself, because you refused to help me by explaining this, especially considering the amount of times you've PMed me asking stuff after not telling me, to which I've always helped where possible. Stop being sour that no-one liked your mod and trying to publicise it as some amazing forgotten fix for empires at every given oppurtunity. If you're still so obsessed with it, have another crack when the new scripting things come out. There's nothing you did in your scripts that won't be possible then. You can have servers download models with ease. I in actual fact thought AU wasn't a bad idea (although whoever thought of the idea of dual 2 slot MGs was retarded) except I felt you needed code support to get your kills registered for flipping tanks due to the amount of "push" weapons you had.

It's already possible to download custom particles now, it's just all the particle effects in the scripts are hardcoded. Or at least, they were. I haven't checked the latest SVN revision and Beerdude said he'd get it done soon. On top of that, they need to be entered into a particles_manifest file, which can't be edited by the server (yet).

I can see this being a problem, but I'm going to trust the community to populate the servers which have the best ones to begin with, and noobs won't join empty servers, so it "should" be ok.

As for particle_manifest, with the latest tf2 update, you could get manifests on a per-map basis, so I suppose it could be possible.

But remember, scripting is one thing, but a server doing custom particle effects is a bit more, so it would more than likely only be done by servers which were already popular and want to further their prospects.

In actual fact, server "adding" of things to particle_manifest is really quite a good idea if possible.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  15. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

I just added per map particle manifests to the code some moments ago. Needs to be tested tho. I guess I'll do a lua function from servers to load custom particles or something likes that someday, but per map particles should be working.

16. Mr. Weedy

There are so many false accusations in your post that I thought it wouldn't even be possible to get that many.

I "PMed" (" " because I don't think chatting over steam chat could be compared to using private messages on a forum) you because I just wanted to see how much you are going to fail with your scripts. So far I haven't heard any success of them and I was also interested how foolish you were to actually answer my questions about your scripts.

There also was no single help request from you for whatever I needed help for.

I'm not being sour, people liked my mod a lot. I'm just feeling sorry for you all who DIDN'T try it out which again reminds me that you didn't test it out and you have no idea what you are talking about.

"There's nothing you did in your scripts that won't be possible then."
    Why else I would have done those scripts then? I wanted to test them and I learned a lot.

"I in actual fact thought AU wasn't a bad idea (although whoever thought of the idea of dual 2 slot MGs was retarded)..."

As I had told near to hundred times by now Au was still in Alpha stage so almost every single weapon wasn't tested very well, the most untested weapons were HC arty cannons. And I also knew how destructive dual HE mgs would be and I knew what kind of huge unbalancer it would have been for the game but you never know if you don't test something out in practice. So I put that tank chassis in the game but alas, it never got tested properly, again, so I never knew how bad the unbalancing factor actually was.

"...except I felt you needed code support to get your kills registered for flipping tanks due to the amount of "push" weapons you had."

Again, I'll repeat myself, I didn't know back then when I created those two kinetic missiles what caused BE heavy to flip and NF heavy not. My first intention wasn't even try to flip tanks, only nudge them around a bit so they would have harder time staying on their target. But I figured what was causing it later on but it was so late that my enthusiasm for Au had ran too low to push me getting them fixed.

So finally, I'll repeat, I couldn't possibly understand how you could even get all those wrong statements in so few sentences. And I also repeat I like talking about my scripts because it gives me feedback to be used in future things and overall it just feels nice to talk about all the possible creative solutions for Empires' problems.

You are still an internet idiot, ass and troll.

Have a nice day, you'll need it, no need to comment my comments.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  17. Trickster

Actually, you were constantly spamming me for information about stuff, not much different to me asking you, only you were less polite and trying to act all sly about it, to which I copied it round to people and we laughed at you, but I gave you said info anyway as I decided not to withold something for no reason. The "help" I asked you was nothing more than a bit of info. You had to type "The value needs to be upwards of 5 to 6 figures". That isn't a lot. I'm pretty sure I said more than that for the amount of times you were prying into the goings on of some stuff.

And what success? That would mean we would have had to release something. And I already did release infantry scripts, and i've had nearly a straight positive review on them, except for the likes of Omneh and Chris0132 who want a complete overhaul of weapons anyway. To get that many positive reviews, off more than just 10 testers (Server shows at least 40 different people throughout testing, if not more).

And in actual fact, I did try AU, I played on a server with a bunch of guys (well, there was about 8 of us at peak) quite a number of times. Most of the guys were @@@@ who tested it.

Also, how does a retarded idea not being tested not make it retarded, or make it exusable if it's in beta. I know, without testing, that something which can arm 4 x 3 slot cannons and take 10 plates of armour on all sides, whilst being able to outrun jeeps, will probably end up pretty overpowered. You can't excuse bad ideas for early revisions. It's not about scripting, it's about the idea itself.

I also didn't even mention about the ability to only flip one side, in fact, I wasn't even aware of that. Although I can think of a solution right now. But all you did there was create an argument out of something that wasn't an argument to try and solidify your claims. And you just failed at that.

And lol so what I'm an ass? Doesn't change the fact I'm right. Nor does putting "no need to comment" mean I won't take apart your pathetic attempt at an argument. Or maybe you're just a really shitty troll. You should speak to BitterJesus, he can show you how to do it properly.

18. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

If you're going to continue these discussions about "who stole what", please do them in private. Thank you.

19. Mr. Weedy

I don't feel like arguing with a person who I will never see face to face but I will straighten two things up.

True. You didn't say that only one team's heavy tanks could be flipped but you did say that tanks could have been flipped. But as I already told you I figured out what caused it and I know how to fix it but there's no need to fix it so why you're getting all jumpy about it that you didn't know only one team's tanks could have been flipped?

Test and experiment =/= the final thing. I never had 4x3 cannon slots on a single tank. I never had a weapon which was capable of taking down 10 plates of armor on all sides. I never had a chassis type which could outrun jeeps. There may have been chassis types which were more agile than jeeps and other tanks in Empires but not faster.

And finally I never even had thoughts to implement that kind of weapons of doom in the game.

So I have to ask you, why you are making up all these lies?

You are, again, giving it out in multiple points that you actually didn't test the mod.

As I told you, have a nice day. And let me add, outside your house.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Fight Fight Fight!!!