Some changes in 2.25

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by Kylegar, Sep 9, 2009.

1. o_O

o_O Member

ETA to Homing Salvo Nukes and Tank Meelee weapons?

messing with custom scripts is going to be tons of fun though and help balance alot.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Please make the script cvar show up in sv_tags.

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

please.

4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

is it possible to make something that tells you what "version" you are running of empiresmod?

like a print in console that depicts all the "nonstandard" scripts used on connect?

5. Trickster

I wish there was a way to stop other servers using your scripts. It'd be really shit if you developed some awesome ones for your server, then another server just uses them.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

The idea is to open the script development not restrict it further Trickster.

7. Kane

Kane Member

Correct

8. Trickster

How is stealing other people's work covered in that? Let servers keep their own work to themselves, they have the option to release if they want.

9. Kane

Kane Member

Scripts get/should get loaded on the client. I don't want to do seperate scripts just for _you_.

10. Demented

Demented Member

Only because then we'd have two servers with 'MKIV HE Railguns'. :headshot:

What if some third-party* script maker makes some "awesome" scripts that you use on your server, but he gets banned from your server and wants his scripts taken off? Does he have to rely on the honor system when you don't?
    *Since this is a third-party mod, does that make him a fourth-party script maker?

11. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

He can rely on the copyright system, its his intellectual property and if you don't respect his right he can sue your ass.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

who's going to bother copyrighting their scripts for a mod?

Trickster, the idea is to share scripts to find an overall good idea of what will work, and what won't. It's very difficult to tell with just testers if a script set will work. If every server has a different research set, people will start to move to the server that has the research they like best.

Same with infantry weapons and tanks for example. The idea is that you will then be able to mix and match to get the best possible balance.

13. o_O

o_O Member

It would be really shitty if someone made a mod, and then someone else just totally made their own server and played the mod on it. Or like, someone balanced the game and everyone else totally copied their scripts and got to play a balanced game too.

14. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

>_> sarcasm? >_>

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Can we make the mowtar better and not base the tests on how it performs on district? You know that map where anyone can get kills with it. I think it needs more splash or a slight damage boost on direct impact.

I think it needs to be nerfed against buildings and buffed against inf. Just like the RPG needs a nerf against people but buffed against tanks.

If the devs won't hopefully the servers can make these changes to make the gren a used again.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I can't say I hugely understand this, I mean, I wouldn't go apeshit if another server than G4TC played king.

Actually I would, but it would be out of surprise that anybody is playing it.

But presumably you make scripts because you like the game being played like that, therefore the more people doing that the more opportunity you have to play the game how you want.

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

First off, why is that shitty?

Personally, I'd see it as an honor if someone else's server adopted my scripts that I wrote for my server, because that means it's fun, and people enjoy them.

The system is designed to be easy to edit major pieces of gameplay, and I'm pushing with the wiki changes to make a very community focused gameplay setup. My vision is to have a community that contributes to making the game the best possible for every person. Forcing you guys to 'open source' the scripts, as to say, will create a community of people who work together (or compete) to create the most fun game for people to play, and that isn't bad at all.

Allowing the community to edit the scripts and distribute them on their servers is one of the steps we are taking to allow the community to improve the gameplay as they want to, which will make it more fun in the long run. We are developing a way to get serverside Lua scripts to be useful, which will allow some more control over the game, but to an extent. We aren't creating the next garrysmod here, but we are creating a RTS/FPS platform that is fun to play, and capable to be modified by the community to give greater gameplay rewards.

Basicly, creating a way to 'lock' your scripts to a specific server will stifle creativity and derivative works, which could prove to be more fun then the ones you created. In the long run, everyone will benefit from this as games will become more and more fun to play, and more players will play Empires.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

It's meant to be open source, that's the point. Most likely servers will use scripts we made for a while, then someone will expand on what we've done and the public will test them. Playing servers will change on public opinion on them.

My only concern is how segregated the community will become because of it. Also, there would have to be an approved list of scripts for scrims and stuff so we can't just use any for matches.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  19. Empty

Empty Member

Obviously pugs will use the standard scripts for that patch. Durr.

20. Silk

Silk Mapper

Still i hope the devs realise that the most populated servers are not necessarily using the best scripts. Servers with extra money or more tickets often get lots of players, but these changes causes many problems to the gameplay really. Then it's up to those who use their brains to explain to those who follow their childish urges that you can't go to a server that drastically changes gameplay and then complain that it isn't balanced.

Different scripts are good for the devs to learn from. Blindly copying a set of scripts because the server that uses it is popular would be a mistake 9 out of 10.

And yes, i really want to know what changes a server has before playing on it.