So, how is 2.2 going?

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, May 25, 2008.

1. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

:p:p

that would be quite something but lag would be awful if server speed not good :p

imagne 128 heavys on EMP_Slaughtered it would be hell for server speed and very cool.

But i can imagne crashings of servers doing 128 players every 5sec :p

But still would be cool :D

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

If i remember correctly back then Krenzo was sure that with the orange box engine empires playerlimit could be increased to 64 (i think it's +- 48 now?). I'm pretty sure it won't go beyond that, though anything is possible.

My personal experience with the OB engine is a little less promising though. fps when playing a map in empires 2.2 is about 25% less than in empires 2.1, on peakmoments (when they actually matter the most). So while i'm sure the servers will be able to handle it better, i'm afraid the client version might need more resources.

On the other hand, maps compiled for 2.2 look a little better as well, so that might explain the small fps drop.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't think the maps are big enough for 128 players yet to be honest, 64 would be a max for it to still be practical. And having saying the lag issues, I get insanely low pings on the KM server even when its at 45/40 people on it, so 64 won't be a problem for it I don't think. Maps are getting enlarged when we get aircraft I think, so I assume by then maps will be able to take 128 players, although servers might not.

I consider myself lucky, I get very high fps even at some peak moments (I have it at 16x anti aliasing, 16x anisotropic filtering etc), on some maps even over 100, because I'm running a pretty powerful computer, so the more clientside work done the better...for me. But for people with lower computers, I can see the OB engine being a problem, but, surely if you can't play it on the lowest setting, its a sign that its time to upgrade a bit?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  4. petemyster

petemyster Member

i average 15 fps :/

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I really want 2.2 because of all the memory crashes in 2.1. i crash about once a game, which makes commanding impossible and, well everything is just annoying. it also takes me like 15 minutes to get into the game sometimes which sucks.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Are you running Vista? Did you get the Vista patch? I run Vista and I got the patch and now I hardly ever crash :D

7. BumGravy

BumGravy Member

^ same here, used to have loads of memory crashes until I got vista patch and vista graphics drivers patch.

8. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I have Vista, I never get crashes.

Vista still sucks though. Resource eating pointless piece of shit.

9. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Vista 64bit SP1 is teh awsum.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i'm on XP. what i've heard about vista, as a general impression, is that i should wait till service pack 2 or something.

also, i don't have any money any more so i am not spending a single penny on my PC. I don't understand it at all: my PC has gone completely down hill since i first purchased it. it used to be able to play empires on totally full specs and took only 2 minutes to load, now i'm playing on 800x600 resolution and it often takes so long to load that it times out from the server, or just sits on the loading screen till i have to restart the PC.

i don't understand why. can anyone help?

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

It could be that your ISP is reducing your speed, which can cause loading times to increase. Bad RAM, dust on hardware, and the harddrive getting full can slow down your pc. Do a defragmentation, both using a general tool and steam's tool, and do a disk clean.

12. Ghost Sonic Safais

Ghost Sonic Safais Member

Before even considering any damage to the hardware,make a clean install of your OS,that should solve your problem,if not,check your hardware. Go for the the Ram first...

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

yep, totally format your hard drive thatll definately make it faster...and its not THAT much trouble to reinstall everything...

14. thaile

thaile Member

With Xp if you use it for anything but surfing or typing paper you'll have to do a clean install every year or so.

15. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

So, who exactly is on the dev team? I applied to be a programmer a while ago. And after I did, about 2 weeks later Krenzo apparently left...

16. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Whoa!

Did Krenzo leave? If so I missed that news.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  17. tylerp9p

tylerp9p Member

I heard from about 60-70 people that he left.

18. Empty

Empty Member

Well you aren't going intot he coding unless they told you so. MOOtant is the new lead dev, krenzo is about but essentially gone, there's nobody on modelling, nobody on textures and the sound artist is in need of work. [/past few weeks]

19. Ghost Sonic Safais

Ghost Sonic Safais Member

Does that mean that the Development of Empires has come to a complete stop?
    Why did Krenzo leave? I thought Empires was his baby...

Damn it,I thought Empires was making steady progress...sad

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

They went down the market and bought half a dozen new coders to fill in, so empires is developing steadily as far as I know. Mootant is also now doing some sort of development, not sure what though.

Krenzo as far as I know is busy with real life.

I can model slightly but unfortunately I'm not proficient with anything other than 3dsMax, which I don't have at home, and it will be another year before I really get good enough at modelling to be of much help.