Slaughtered ?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Almost like someone was using the SVN for what it's designed to do.

2. Silk

Silk Mapper

In the case of slaughtered i simply decompiled it, as i'll be remaking it from scratch.

The idea was to just remake the same shape the map already had but now with vertical surfaces as well, instead of just raising the ground. This way there wouldn't change much; in fact only this:
    - No stretched textures
    - More and different textures
    - 2048x2048 res textures
    - More grass sprites

The problem with making it Urban for me is that i suck with brushwork. That said i'll think about adding brushwork detail, as long as it doesn't change the layout.

Btw about changing the layout ... i haven't yet checked visibility, but if it turns out that a big performance gain can be achieved by slightly altering a passage or having it under a slightly different angle so it doesn't align with open building spaces, i will do so. The difference would be minimal, but people don't like changes so ye be warned.

Edit:
    Ok i'll make the mountains a bit steeper
    Is shooting over these mountains with artillery considered good or bad in Slaughtered ?
    Shall i allow for it or not ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

hate getting artillery'd from a place you can't get to easy in that map. I consider it bad.

4. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Yeah rule of thumb for artillery should be: Only if you can shoot back (and preferably with something besides another artillery).

5. Silk

Silk Mapper

As it turns out i'll be taking this opportunity to slightly alter visibility blocking. The screenshot below shows the nodraw brushes i just made that will be hidden in the mountains to block visibility.

For those who think the pathways will become more narrow than they currently are, this isn't the case. Most of the areas on the minimap that are right next to the mountains, that look like they are flat ground, are in fact still steep hills that infantry have never been able to access. The few times a visibility block does stick out of the hills making the path smaller, i can easily make the hill on the other side further inwards so the path becomes as big again as it once was.

These changes, while changes, should be quite visible on performance in the S-bend and therefor imo rather necessary.

The reason i had to cut off a part of the map is that Hammer crashes for me when i don't stay 1024 units away from the edges of the grid. Luckily the map wasn't a square (it will be now) and was only too big vertically, which was extremely lucky since the south had quite a large area that doesn't get used. I'll put that into the skybox.

Also, ignore that 1 diagonal line
    [​IMG]

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if youd extend the visblock at e3 and e4 a bit you should have even better visblock there ...

also what about that one diagonal line? :p

7. Darg

Darg Member

Looks good, performance gains for free = win :)

Let me know if you want to use the water tower somewhere! Also a few small buildings placed around somewhere like the southeast for visual prettyness might be nice.

Also you could think about actually having a road connecting on each side of the bridge, it seems odd to just have a bridge with dirt on either side.

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Well then i'm gonna get started on it.
    I'll necro this topic in a small year when i'm only a few months away from finishing it.

Also Darg, i have no idea yet what details i'll add to Slaughtered, but i can always use a water tower in Chain. I have two or three in that map already but they have very low res textures.

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually silk your brushwork isn't bad, chain has a rather nice looking base section.

I wouldn't make it urban anyway but I would consider adding some artificial elements, for example you could replace the towers with more interesting artificial buildings, possibly a little bigger and more interesting inside and more useful.

You could also replace their res-giving ability with proper refineries inside a protected area, to indicate that they do actually give res but keeping the semi-secure style.

Basically don't be afraid to make changes, slaughtered isn't a very good map in a lot of ways, the S bend in particular needs more interesting combat in it, I'd suggest making it a bit wider and adding some structures on the walls so people can fight along it with infantry as well as tanks.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

i agree on that s-bend part
    some walkways/caves/building hanging on the cliffs would be nice

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

if you wanna look at omni's, i can upload it for you

edit: also i dont know anything about optimisation, are those nodraw brushes going to block artillery shots?

12. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Buildings hanging on the cliff would be cool. Nice way to avoid nukes in s bend and make troops there viable.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

If you want to add buildings and other details for aesthetics you should put various communication towers on the mountain at NF main, BE main, and the flat hill at C5, mostly because those hills are pretty bare.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

[​IMG]
    yeaaaa boiiiii (look at dat texture)

15. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Since people want to change slaughtered what about also changing the lighting.
    making it a night map with spotlights on the mountains. Or a winter slaughtered. with instead of the normal bridge have an ice bridge and make the water hurt you.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I would like to see silk make a night map, curious as to how it turns out.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

no ...

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

the funny thing about completes sreeny is that this pesky tree log is still there xD

19. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

ouch, OMNI fuck fucking piece of shitlog placing crapmapper.

make slaughtered take place on the dark side of the moon for a setting. :D

20. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Maybe we should add special effects to just make it all monochrome.