Slaughtered ?

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Silk

Silk Mapper

That is certainly possible.

The walkable terrain will follow the old shape almost exactly. Only exceptions to this are the places were i made slight changes to the map for better visibility blocking, and even there the new terrain will be like a copy of the old terrain in terms of shape.

The yellow parts in this screenshot is the old terrain:
    [​IMG]

2. o_O

o_O Member

I like it, although it could use a little grass just to break up the grey/brown everything.

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Your ground texturing is excellent, good use of blending.

I would suggest using something similar on the cliffs if you can, paint some patches of greener rock growing up from the ground or something, just to break up the huge lump of texture.

Also be careful with shadows, players show up MUCH brighter in sunlight than they do in shadow, so make sure you don't give players on one side an advantage by putting them in the shadow and the enemy in the light.

4. Silk

Silk Mapper

1) Yeah i'm not too happy with the mountains myself. The current material used is a blend of 2 different rock textures (color edited to almost match tones) but even then it's not too good in huge sizes like this. Also it's very obvious where the terrain has been transformed. Next thing i'm gonna try is using seamless_scale, and to add a second (or third) texture on them by use of transparant overlays.
    Personally i'd love to have some green patches on the rocks as well, however i can't think of anything that would fit. Simple dry moss was done a lot already in chain. Granted chain will never be an official map, but it still feels like doing the same thing twice. Also i like the ground a lot, and having moss on the mountains looks weird if the ground doesn't have it as well.
    So yeah i'm still brainstorming on this.

2) The good thing in this setup is the bright daylight effect that comes from the ssbumps. All materials have them. The light is actually less bright than in chain or bush, but both ssbumps almost serve as hdr would do. The screenshot that shows the barrack and cv shows that they are not that as brightly lit as you'd expect. The same should hold true for infantry i suspect. If you're not only worried about them showing up bright but them sticking out against a bright background, the light will stil come from the east (165° angle), so both factions will be going towards the sun at start, and they'll have the sun behind them once they're past s-bend.
    Edit: i just checked, old slaughtered was brighter. Compare both barracks for prove.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A good idea? From VIROMAN? C'est ne pas possiblé!

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can use the $color parameter in the vmt to make a very quick green tinted texture.

Also yeah it needs to come out of something, I was thinking you could add patches of foliage near the base of the cliffs.

7. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I know right? I should balance myself out with 20 more bad ideas in the suggestion forum... ill pay some monkeys(in bannanas) to type up some more bad ideas.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It's "Ce n'est pas possible", note the switch in the beginning and the lack of an accent aigu

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

C'est un trap!

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Je ne pas français.
    How did i do?

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

you forgot the verb

12. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

Je mange le tele

Last time I took French class was over 4 years ago

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

bilingual country whats up

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Votre connaissance du français est vraiment horrible, es-tu sûre que tu es un Belge

EDIT: Hmm apparently the second "es" should be subjunctive as I suspected but FUCK THE SYSTEM YEAAAAA

trilingual represent

15. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

To be honest, Canada isn't bilingual; Quebec and New Brunswick are.

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

well Toronto speaks primarily Chinese and then English.

17. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

If you're changing the map a whole lot, i hope its going to be named slaughtered2 or something, otherwise a whole lot of players might get pissed. If you release it as a remake and let players get used to it then maybe make the final version a replacement for the old slaughtered, I think the map would see more success.

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

95% will be visual changes.

The only changes in walkable terrain will be a few spots in the map where the road follows a slightly different path so i can have much better visibility optimization. "Slightly" meaning adding a very small bend in an existing straight road, or making an existing bend a little wider or narrower.
    Definitely nothing that would change commander tactics.

The walkable terrain will follow the exact shape of current slaughtered btw, with those few exceptions of course.

Visually though (color+details) it will change drastically.

Edit:
    I have to release it as a custom map first anyway. I'm remaking slaughtered because of my own interest, not by request from the devs. The only way it can replace old slaughtered is if it's succesfull as a custom map.
    The second requirement is empires being alive by the time i finish it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  19. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

i dont think silk will fuck it up.

dont forget though that slaughtered does one (and only one) thing well, which is supporting 20 v 20 heavy tanks on a regular basis.

just sayin', keep it cheap.

20. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Rocks, rocks, rocks.

What am I, a mountain troll?

Seriously though, slaughtered needs a refreshment, but it needs much green IMO :D