Skyrim Free Weekend!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ImSpartacus, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I had more fun in oblivion. Even morrowind had some wonky bits that made it more fun in certain ways.

Skyrim wasn't bad, but it rarely felt worth it to explore the world which is a pretty big deal to me.

3. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Yay a free weekend game on my birthday weeken- Oh fuck a bad game,i tried skyrim and it sucks.

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I always liked morrowind the best. Yeah, the combat is a whacked out in comparison, but I actually liked that rather than this slow slash/block style. Takes all the fun out of fighting, for me at least.

Ah well, heavy modding and it all works out a bit better. Though funnily enough Morrowind was actually actually the most immersive one I've played, despite the environment not being quite as good. It really felt a whole lot more like I was there, rather than skyrim that feels like it's in front of me, and oblivion which wasn't quite as bad but similar.

5. ImSpartacus

Watch that video and try to keep that sour attitude up. Just try.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Have fun with those paid mods.

7. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[YOUTUBE]bNXYrAkUntU[/YOUTUBE]

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Get your tentacle sex mod for just 9.99!

9. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

People starting high quality projects and actually finishing them because they're getting paid to? Yes. Yes I will enjoy these paid mods.

10. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

[​IMG]

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I really loved it, and I only stopped playing the game like 2 years ago, so it's not really much about nostalgia.

Tbh, if you think about it, the new versions slowed combat down a lot, while not delivering an experience even as close to fun as PVKII. It feels clunky, slow and boring in comparison, and I would rather run around whacking at things like in Morrowind than skyrim style.

Even more disappointing is magic in skyrim. In oblivion you could extra-hand cast, and while skyrim's version works better for targeted spells, they could have kept oblivions version for when you cast a buff. Because generally it makes no sense to have to unequip and requip everything all the time - I mean, it's not like it's more realistic anyway. I can equip battle armour in half a second, and take it all off and run around naked just as quickly.

It would be different if there was a good melee system in skyrim, but there really isn't. Not in comparison to PVKII, and I would think that a AAA game would at least be able to beat a free source mod. Considering so much of the game is melee, too.

There's actually a mod for skyrim where if both fighters attack simultaneously, it plays an animation similar to block and the swords clash and repel. Jeez, that makes the fights so much better. Tbh, skyrim just replaced those misses from Morrowind with a slash or a hit that hits flesh but quite often doesn't do much else but leave a trail of blood, which is just as bad for immersion really.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Dark messiah had some of the best magic/melee fighting, elder scrolls should have copied that ages ago.

I don't think I can agree about combat slowing down, but then I ran around constantly attacking and using pots when at low health in all games. Admittedly I was playing nehrim for oblivion recently and wanted to not cheese through fights with pots, but while it did get a tad slower it really just made me think about positioning and using more tools and magic which wasn't bad at all. This is coming from someone who loves going fast too.

Also I think the problem with skyrim was how clunky it was to change stuff out. It didn't have quick slots for some reason, everything was in that menu. It doesn't even make sense why when oblivion for console still had the quick slot changes. If it did have that it wouldn't be bad at all to change weapons/magic. Though your right, I would have liked a magic/fighting change button like morrowind and oblivion.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I didn't like Oblivion simply because of the levelling. And I ended up closing several hundred oblivion gates in the end, which really detracted from the experience for me. If I'd had the mod that keeps the gates closed, shut for good, then it would have been a bit more fun.

But bandits with glass armour? That really should have been patched out.

It's not really the speed so much as the feeling of weights being attached to you. I felt like the characters were a bit on the heavy side, and it makes things feel a bit sluggish. Added to which, you can't really make a 'lighter' character, only really change the attack speed.

I agree that the Dark Messiah model should have been adopted. The game would have been fantastic with that.

14. Z100000M

Yea, all the while enjoy having to pay for people fixing the game for the devs, which used to be free. SkyUi is now a paid mod from what ive heard. Like hundrets of mods removed from nexus because every one wants to get on the nickel and dime train. Fucking add money into any equation and youll get drama and shit everywhere

15. ImSpartacus

Then it sounds like these content creators have all wanted to make a buck for quite a while and this new system only serves to enable them to do what they have already wanted to do.

I don't see a problem with content creators wanting compensation for their hard work.

16. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Motherfucker. Don't make me agree with you on stuff.

The smart ones will only be charging a few cents anyway.

17. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Well...fuck.

But I went over to the nexus and it's not falling apart. There's a lot of news there that basically explains the situation. And I could still download SkyUI, so I don't think the sky's (heh) falling.

But there's a lot of fallout going on right now. And I think it will be crazy until the dust settles.

The funny thing is, I always relied on mods to make the Elder scrolls games better (apart from morrowind anyway, though it did benefit later from updated textures). If the mods aren't free, and with content that really should have been included in the proper game, I think Bethesda will get a lot more stick in future to make better games.

Tbh, I think the modding community cleans up Bethesda's mess in a lot of cases, and that lets it get away with things and makes all the games more popular. If that's now added to the price, as it were, it's a pretty dopey move on the devs part. Or maybe just completely naively charitable.

Lol. I don't see anything wrong with creators wanting to charge the dollar or so for their great mods. It's the 75% added extra that goes to valve and bethesda that isn't really agreeable to my tastes. Valve should get 5-10% for hosting costs, Bethesda should get 15-20% for the source content.

Then your argument would be valid. Right now the vast majority of people use these mods because they are free. Those numbers will plummet if they're paid, by at least half, and they will drop so much more because of the 75% not going to the creator. I want to support the person who created the mod first and foremost, not last. I already paid money for the game to Bethesda, they've got their cut as far as I'm concerned.

18. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Enjoy your dlc that you used to get for free.

And enjoy paying for bug fixes for those mods.
    You are enabling people to make money off stuff for something they don't own.

Supporting that means you don't want the industry to crash and just to get even more greedy.
    Anyone supporting this shit is retarded and doesn't see the big picture at all.

[​IMG]

A "please buy this mod" pop up every time you use the spell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431341243&searchtext=
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430848633&searchtext=
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431049259&searchtext=
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431481557&searchtext=
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=431522840&searchtext=
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430955234&searchtext=

Might as well start charging people to play empires.
    After all, the "hardwork" that went into it should be compensated.

19. Z100000M

Yea that fucking value spending a dollar on a single model or a couple for a bigger content one that might be complete shit but you wouldnt know because reliable feedback is now gone. Cant wait for fake accounts shilling mods. What has the world come to.

20. complete_

complete_ lamer

this opinion is eh wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.