single lane low pop comm map ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Jul 25, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

as simple rule of thumb, if you cant drive there you are not supposed to get there, the killbrush is there to punish exploiteres, but, even though i should have known better, i didnt consider the griefing capabilities ... lamer! sigh :D

also as you can see on the following images the killbrush isnt as low as you make it appear. (nfcv for scale)
    this is the hill in base ...
    [​IMG]
    and this is the hill on the other side of those buildings in center
    [​IMG]

im not sure how to fix, i wont let you get on the next level cliffs, you could run from base to base up there. and im not turning it into a "nubs dont know how to exploit, lets mine ourselfs up where the cv is safe" map - especially not the "base plateau" (though you can get up from both sides, the rocks on the outside are placed so that you can climb them with walls - but careful, you can get stuck iirc), but i will enable you to drive up there (from the inside) in the next version anyway.

but as a rule of thumb cvs or actually any vehicles are not supposed to go anywhere you cannot drive to. infantry is not supposed to get anywhere they cant wallclimb to.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  2. complete_

complete_ lamer

vehicle clips. playerclips. a way to prevent exploiting that doesnt instantly end the game.

also i mined the cv up on that exact hill in the first screenshot. you forget that 9mining sends a vehicle upwards. judging by that killbrush in your screenshots it actually looks like a 9mine anywhere on the map would kill the cv instantly.

3. flasche

yes i figured youd try to mine it up there because its quite secure. the only thing that bugs me about you die trying is that it could have happend unintentionally.

but in the next version youll have a nice wide ramp to drive up.

4. flasche

dear people knowing their shit in hammer,

how can i make a text appear in the middle of the screen when a player enters a trigger?
    what i want is a text saying "FFS <playername> stop exploiting!" when someone enters the killbrush.

you dont need to spoonfeed it to me, though ofc id be happy about that aswell, but some entity name(s) would be neat so i have a base to google.

and before anyone is going to say "mimimi we want no killbrush at all", i am currently changing it so its only at the top cliffs where you are not supposed to go.
    any playable area, no matter how high up a cliff, wont have a killbrush above anymore - it was a really dumb choice out of lazyness not to do that right away.

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

its an entity that you trigger, ent_blablatext or someting

it looks like shit tho

6. flasche

yeah it was dumb to ask, i googled it myself in the meanwhile (the thing i wanted is game_text)

thank you anyway

i totally missed the post. is that so? you can get on the highest level sides? i thought i vehicle clipped it, getting somewhere you are not supposed to usually is my main concern when mapping. oO i hope i didnt just forget to enable a visgroup again. ill see if i can find the vmf - sadly the map only fits a 1x1 grid (it was dumb scaling it up not considering a good factor), so big changes are a bit of a drag.

7. flasche

here you go, no more full-map killbrush, yet youll still die if you try to get your cv somewhere its not supposed to be. so FFS complete_ dont exploit :D
    i didnt find an easy way for public shaming with game_text, so i left that out (i didnt instantly get how to get the player name)

i built a ramp up the last hill - i expect the final stand to happen up there now. i dont think it will play out nice, but people will 9mine the cv there so there got to be a way to drive up.

long story short
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/map/emp_drygulch_a4.zip
    also updated link on first page.

edit:
    and so you dont need to decompile in case i get lost have the vmf aswell.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/map/emp_drygulch_a4_vmf.zip
    also ofc everyone feel free to use the vmf. i warn you though, for me it doesnt compile with -both flag, i need to do -ldr and -hdr seperately.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

use a client command to force the player to say that hes exploiting
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Point_clientcommand
    however, i would recommend that you force them to type soundscape_flush into the console instead of forcing them to say something

seems like the difference between last version and this version is that now the goal of the enemy is to 9mine the comm to a killbrush on top of a hill. dont know why you dont just use a vehicle clip

9. flasche

and i dont know why you are ruining everyones game just to be right - thats a quite dickish move. you knew there was a killbrush - maybe you just play the game instead of 9mining stuff to where it doesnt belong?
    but maybe i should admit i was wrong. wrong in making the map.

and dont tell me you "accidentially" 9mined your own CV somewhere. 9mining your own vehicles - unless its stuck - has been considered griefing/exploiting since forever.
    dont like the map? fine, dont play it, but dont intentionally sabotage it for everyone else.

edit:
    btw. public shaming wont work since the offender isnt sitting in the vehicle.

edit:
    another option would be to reread the last sentence of my previous post.
    tell everyone im a stubborn, dumb nub, turn the hurts into clips and compile it yourself.
    repost the vmf though so if anyone wants to change something theres a link to the latest source.
    the vrad options i used are a few pages back.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. complete_

complete_ lamer

its not ruining it when you're putting a thing where infantry can go and stuff can be placed. especially now that you put a ramp there.

and i said the goal is 9mine the enemy's com, not your own. no need to stop and read over a post again before getting all worked up about it

you're welcome for the tip about how to alert exploiters! cant wait to help you again!

11. flasche

well thank you, but it doesnt alert about exploiters since there is no way to tell who initiated the 9mine. its only the vehicle dying - same with game_text or env_message or env_hudhint
    having it trigger soundscape_flush might also auto-ban completely innocent users who get 9mined into the brush.
    aside of that, if i were a server owner i wouldnt want mappers to use either client-, or servercommand.

anyways for most parts of the map - except for that very last hill - the killbrush is about 1024 units above the driveable floor and behind the cliff edge.
    if you manage to mine the enemy comm up there, you would manage to kill him anyway, from just driving onto a stack it doesnt fly that high.

the reasoning behind the ramp isnt so that you can park your comm in a safe spot, its to give defenders a better chance. parking the cv there is a sideeffect i dont really like, but a 2nd attack route outweights my concerns about the final final stalemate with just an apc, walls and cv (but there are high enough cliffs for nukes, so maybe its not that bad afterall)

and you didnt complain because you mined the enemy there, neither did FN, you guys complained because you died exploiting and ruined the game for everyone.
    you exploited, the cv died, the game ended - the blame is on you and thats also the whole reasoning for the killbrush. just play by the rules and you wont end up in it.

edit:
    and yes, it would not ruin the map if the vehicle would just bounce back from an invisible wall, it doesnt though.
    i would see it different if it would be guys like those choppers if you can remember the griefers.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  12. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

I just saw someone drive the CV up the ramp and into the side of the map before being instant killed by the hurt brush. Third time I've seen this happen since adding the new version of the map. I've reverted to using an older version of drygultch in the mapcycle so hopefully this can be fixed soon. :)

13. flasche

i already had it fixed yesterday after i read your PM, but then i also read there are a lots of people playing and forgot to pack it up and send it to you.
    now i would post the link but i decided to test a last time and realized i forgot to remove a cv i used as scale, so it will have to wait another 30mins +/-

what have i learned? way more testing ...

... i only hope its not too much of an effort for you creeper sry :D

14. flasche

oh man. i ran into an issue.

well i thought, whatever, let complete_ have his way and turned the hurts into vehicle clips - they do nothing. i used clip texture. halp please? also what happened to the wiki?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

No effort on my part. I appreciate the time you're investing in your map. We all love playing drygultch :)

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

hey look! who knew that having trigger hurts super low on the map would make things die instantly?

no need to thank me for warning you time upon time! im just so glad to be "having my way"
    vehicle clips are an entity. playerclips are a texture.

the wiki is fucking gone because people are never around to do shit

17. flasche

yes i turned it into an entity (func_vehicleclip) and textured it with tools/clip. should i use some other texture?

edit:
    yes i should. damn i swear i googled before and didnt find it and now there it stands on the valve wiki :rolleyes:
    :facepalm:

also there was no hurt above the playable area anymore. it was supposed to be behind the cliff edges, i just fucked up a bit ...

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

works fine with nodraw aswell

19. flasche

20. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

Much appreciated flache. One small issue I noticed is that the resources file references the wrong map briefing file.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016