single lane low pop comm map ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Jul 25, 2014.

1. 101010

101010 Member

Speaking of the pipe lines....... can yo walk on them?

Also- map is looking great can't wait to play it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

thanks. yes youll be able to walk on parts. i want to have them meet in some sort of building in center to give the map a meaning. like its pipelines going out of the map to some refinaries or factories or whatever ... idk, well see, maybe it just stays random pipelines going through the map.

certainly not. engis can build - but no walls, they would leak throught the bottom and thats ugly.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Its rather unfortunate that walls have to literally be placed in full form and then raised through the ground. Can't we have the model get squished at a certain distance under ground lvl or place an invisible/walk-through brush on it?

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

i remember when this was a single lane low pop map

pipelines look nice though

5. flasche

hahaha touché - i remember when i though im not gonna waste a lot of time on this. its really only a single lane still though - even if you can get on some small plateaus you cannot take shortcuts. the pipelines going up are > 45° so you cant walk there - most of it is scenery ...

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

These are not connected to each others sides, you have to invade the territory and go up.
    You cant walk to BE or NF by just canyons roads, you have to get there to go up them.
    (or can you?)

Aww.

You would save space if we could though, things are narrow enough so turret placement without them hugging walls will be hard.

Because they can just aim for the walls and kill the turrets with splash damage.

7. 101010

101010 Member

It would be hell for candles but one option for engineer walls is have wall upgrade.
    3 different sized wall models.

8. ViroMan

or... just keep tossing calc into a wall as the wall build thing builds to full and a new segment is placed in its place. :)

Fucking... YES... what if walls were actually a few segments... when they take enough damage a piece of the top comes off. Toss calc juice in and the top can be built back up. The model itself can be one model per wall segment with 6 visible steps to it status (3 build and 3 damaged).

9. BigTeef

I will cradle your balls if you let commanders place turrets up on the over head pipes.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Expand this to every building having chunks blown off and you have the radest source mod. This would be a nice stepping stone though.

Also I can't wait to play this map, looks like it could be a lot of fun.

11. ViroMan

walls can be done simply I think... whole buildings would be a tad more difficult maybe. I mean to do that you have to place a model in a model and then remove the undamaged one. Lets not forget the possibility of someone being in the building when this happens. I suppose this can be gotten around by making a building a multi-model object and when it is placed spawning all the walls, floor, and top at the same time. THEN you can replace them with damaged models without causing issues. You will still have the issue of MORE objects to render.

12. BigTeef

Whens testing?

13. flasche

i made this big mistake - started to make it look better. pipeline, cacti and floor are still far from done .

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  14. BigTeef

I need it inside me.

Now

15. flasche

well, before it rotts on my hdd, heres the vmf* - as far as it concerns me and doesnt interfere with valves eula, consider it CC-NC, so as long as you dont make money out of it (yeah sure ^^ ), do as you please, even claim its your own idea ...

THIS IS NO RELEASE VERSION!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/map/emp_mountainpass_vmf.zip

*and hopefully all the stuff you need to compile, plus a compiled version to make sure its working and for those who dont know how to hammer.

for a quick compile: theres still no visblocking, so you better run fastvis. if it crashes when using vrad with -both, do -ldr and -hdr seperately.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  16. flasche

so about a year and 2 month later i decided i could fix some stuff, copy everything around and pack it up as playable map. i mean why not, you guys play equally bad looking maps :p

[​IMG]

thats the minimap so far (thx complete_). if anyone has some time to wander around and look for floating props/geometry and holes it would be great. i know it lacks a lot of detail and could need some more props and buildings along the cliffs, but i have no clue if this will even work out ...

i plan to release it today, but i first need a name. the working title is emp_mountainpath, which quite obviously is a tad misleading (aka not fitting at all).

problem is, i suck with names more then with completing maps.

suggestions?

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Oh hey I remember this.

How about emp_desertcrossing? Or emp_drought. Maybe emp_riverbed or emp_dryriver?

18. flasche

maybe emp_walls_walls_everywhere as i anticipate walls to be utilized a lot ^^
    (but clever building placement should allow to lock most chokes aswell)

anyways, i kinda like the river thing, just that it doesnt resemble one anymore. sure from above and such canyons usually get formed by water, but it doesnt fit well.

i think ill go for emp_drygulch - how does that sound to native speakers?

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I may not be a native, but it sure sounds good to me.

20. flasche

here we go. i hope its all working, the other computer is in use currently so i cant try out on a clean empires install atm.
    maybe someone could have a look if anything is missing or if theres floating geometry or some other things i missed (unaligned textures or whatnot)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/map/emp_drygulch_a1.zip

thx in advance. in theory it could be put on servers as soon as its confirmed working.