Should I buy S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Buttery Lobster, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

you run around with 6 weapons, atleast 4 kinds of ammo, a stalker and SEVA suit and 9 artifacts?

I really don't know how you do it, but I go through 1000 bullets as if its a rain storm :D

also lol at gordon dying in ukraine xD

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

No, that was me hitting that quest on the way back to the bar. When I left for that place, all I had was that M4-looking thing, the Stalker suit, the upgraded Fort pistol, some Army Medkits, some bandages, five artifacts, some antirad drugs, and maybe 10 clips for each weapon.

And, of course, my silenced pistol.

That's actually the second SEVA suit I found in that area. I'm saving them for when I really need them. You can also see that I found Big Ben (the upgraded deagle-y gun that uses rifle rounds), the family rifle, a couple new guns to toy around with, and probably a lot more crap you can't see there.

By the way, the Obokan is a piece of shit. I found a Storming Obokan on some poor sap's corpse, and the thing jams more often at 90% durability than the Fast-Shooting AK does at 40% durability.

I wish there was a way to repair stuff. I miss my AK. :(

3. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Woah, what suit is that?

Im about to play, ill fraps a little bit an put on on 'Tube.

edit: it will be up tomorow, i have to upload overnight.

edit2: here it is
    http://files.filefront.com//;7150103;;/
    i know, its 243mb, but thats beause i bumped up the quality as much as i could to showcase the graphics. and i didnt put it on youtube cuz that would just kill it. + the sound lags at the end, but thats because i was running fraps on stalker >.>

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  4. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

So I've finally traveled to the military area above the Bar, and I'm conflicted. I can either help Duty soldiers slaughter Freedom soldiers, or help Freedom soldiers slaughter Duty soldiers. I'm not too fond of either idea.

From what I had heard about Freedom, I had thought they were going to be douchebag criminals and stuff, but these guys are fucking awesome. On the other hand, though, I completely understand and sympathize with what Duty wants to do, and I certainly have no motivation to get on their bad side (do they even have another side?).

So what did you guys do about the attack force that you encounter right as you enter the area? Do you know what lewt you get for completing it on the Duty side, and what lewt you get for completing it on the Freedom side? And more importantly, how much damage is incurred on either mission, and does it get you on the bad side of either of the two factions?

Also, Dizzy: lol, comparison.

And now for your non-daily picture from the zone. Ooh ahh, pretty.

5. dizzyone

It does make mine look like delta force3 does it xD
    Luckily I'm not the least concerned with that, I guess if you're like me the game is still definitly worth it (aslong as you dont fuck with the draw distance).

Also I'd pick freedom over duty, freedom gives you awesome 5000 artifacts for completing missions.

It also depends what ammo you use, as freedom and duty sell different ammo, also weapons. Another thing to worry about is which you will find easier to take out, Duty in an urban setting, or freedom in the wide open (although you can easily ignore their base).

Ive had to reload (console -> load quicksave) many many times to kill off duty, as some of them have the super fast almost recoilfree full auto with the silencer (forgot the name), and any burst from close range is insta kill.

The real question is how far in the story line you are, if you need totravel back to the first camp, or want to find every stash on every map, you have to take into account you will need to go past duty territory many times, and will encounter them many times, packed in groups. Freedom on the other hand are only in one area, and once you get past their area, afaik theres no point in going back. On the flipside, duty territory has the bar where you can take shelter and get health packs, so if you would ever be in danger, you could always run in there and get some health, while in freedom territory the only trader is in freedom's base, and he will definitly not sell you anything if hes dead ;)

I took freedom as I loved their style, they had the ammo I needed so I could stock up, add up the nice artifacts they gave me, and duty called me a loser, and I enjoyed killing the them.

Edit: As a side note, the bar and Arena are always neutral towards you, even if you kill off every loner and duty there.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Is it feasable to remain neutral? I can freely enter the Freedom base and interact with them and their trader (although I don't have access to their arsenal), but the Duty base is much more locked down (they go batshit on me when I walk past them, and try to make me into Kibbles 'n Bits). I'd really hate to limit my options, and joining one side or the other seems like it would definitely do this.

I just looked it up, and yeah, the part I'm at pretty much determines which faction you end up with. I did, however, find someone saying it's possible to have both factions friendly towards you.

Found here.

Aaand just found a more in-depth explanation here.

7. dizzyone

whatever works for you I guess, I'm the genocide kinda guy :D

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I heard Stalker uses materials from Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, without permission.

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I'd love to see some comparison pictures as I've not seen a single thing that'd look same to either of those games thus far.

10. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

11. Chahk

Chahk Member

I just have one question about STALKER...

HOW TO GET AMMOS?!?!?

Had to be asked :p

12. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

In STALKER you get swamped with ammoz. :p Kill kill kill you and know the drill.

13. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

GO for it this is a sure buy; with seven alterante endings; and the open ended nature, it is REALLY FUN and will keep you busy for hours. Plus if you understand Russian you can laugh at what the stalkers say to eachother :p

The multiplayer is also really fun; with a ranking system where you get ranks when you kill enough people allowing you to buy better armor and weapons...

All in all, you can't go wrong with buying this one

14. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

WEll, i came across the same qunadry with duty and freedom. you cant really join either side, just get one of them to like you. THe base i was in in the movie i made was teh freedom base, btw.

Basically:

Freedom
    Pros: NATO guns are more accurate, stronger
    Cons: BLocks off easy access to base

Duty: Easy access to base, Tunder grenade launcher
    Cons: Most guns arent very good.

I would say just kill both sides and grab there loots. but dont do it in their bases, thye will all go hostile. I know this from experience...

15. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Awww, man, that shit bums me out. Dumbasses had to go and jeopardize the reputation of their game by plagiarizing stupid little textures.

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I just wasted 2 hours looking for the bandit leader Borov! I couldn't search his body because it disappeared after I killed him. I ran all over looking for the key to the x18 lab. I got pissed off and threw a grenade where his body should've been, and it made his body magically reappear. Thanks Stalker!

17. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Yeah, I've just run into a crash that prevents me from progressing. I go to talk to the scientist guy after the other guy gets killed, and it crashes to desktop. I've tried shutting down other programs, I've tried not having the dead guy's toolthinger, I've tried setting all the options to low, but nothing.

I had a list of things I wanted to get accomplished in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. today, too...

Abort, Lobster! ABORT!

18. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

just so you know, X-16 IS THE MOST SCARIEST MOTHERFUCKING EXPERIENCE IN MY LIFE!!

19. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Well, doesn't look like I'll ever get to see it, anyway. Even if they do fix it in the next patch, chances are it'll make the saves incompatible again, and if that's the case, forget it.

Edit: Oh thank god, I found a workaround! Turns out that guy isn't supposed to die. Could have fooled me, though.

Also, Krenzo, I found that the invisible bodies thing is going to be fixed in the next patch. Not that it helps you any now, but eh. Also, none of the patches in the future will screw over your saves.

Re-bort, Lobster!

...Maybe it's just "bort?"

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  20. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I have one really great suggestion for anyone getting this game. INSTALL 1.0001 PATCH BEFORE YOU START PLAYING! :) Saves made before that won't work anymore and it will fix a shitload of bugs.