Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Bobbus, May 14, 2006.

1. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

Think about this in real life terms.

In the British army, the scout is the person who goes in the front of the squad, scouting out what is ahead, to prevent the rest of the squad from being ambushed / walking into a minefield etc. He usually only has a lightweight rifle, in order to defend himself from any enemies he may encounter on the way.

The sniper on the other hand, usually stays hidden most of the time, in one location, so he can disrupt the enemies moral by picking them off. They usually target commanders, as to make the enemy confused and without orders. They do not 'run and gun', due to usually the sheer weight of their rifles.

Hence the scout is a scout, not a sniper.
    People like to think of him as a sniper, because his rifle has a zooming function. This is not his main function though, and the rifle is very likely to be modified in the near future, so he cannot just run into the enemies base and kill everything (he has the capacity currently to kill 65 people without having to go back for extra ammo with his rifle alone).

2. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

This is a game not real life. In real life you need a scout to stay alive and fight a smart battle against your enemy but in a game your there to shoot computer generated people and have fun. What is the fun in seeking out information in a game. If the scout rifle gets replaced I doubt many people will use the scout class.

3. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

The scout rifle is not likely to just be removed, with nothing else.
    There have been talks of making him able to disrupt research, steal research, disable barracks, sabotage tanks, listen in on enemy team chat, spot enemies classes, hack into command vehicle to find out all the enemies locations... the list goes on and on. The scout rifle is not just going to be removed, because as you say, no one would be a scout then. But if there is an incentive to sneak into the enemy base (rank points, stealing research etc.), then it will most likely be that there will be a few more scouts then we currently see at the moment.

4. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Im all for that but I would still like to see a sniper rifle in the game, even if they move it to the rifleman. I like the ideas that some of the other players have had about changing it to be more like a sniper rifle.

5. Bobbus

Bobbus Member

I sort of agree... There should be some kind of ranged support weapon. Perhaps giving the NF's rifle a scope (the rifleman one) and adding an equivalent to the BE?
    Edit: That just gave me an idea. Allow riflemen a rifle similar to the scouts' and have a scope as an option instead of armour. Then you can either be a weaker ranged combatant or a resilient front line soldier.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  6. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

I really like that idea!

7. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

That's fine by me. The riflemen are meant to be anti-infantry, not scouts.

8. AnRK

AnRK Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper

it depends very much on the kind of sniper to be honest

i think the sniper rifle needs to still exist in the game somehow without being used so easily for short distance combat and the scout needs to remain for more covert operations

to be honest scouting involves no killing whatsoever apart from in self defence so i dont really think anyones going to want to look through a pair of binoculars for half an hour so i think the name should be changed anyway

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  9. Jimather

Jimather Member

A: if it gives you rank points and helps your team then you would be surprised at the seemingly boring roles peeople are willing to fill.

B: Read the above, there will be much much more interesting things for the scout to do than mark targets.

10. AnRK

AnRK Member

yea ive read the above, im just saying if the role was a literal scout they wouldnt be doing any of that

11. Jimather

Jimather Member

well its not literal so why dont we all talk about the colour of the grenadiers wings or the engineers bouncy castle preferences ?