Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Bobbus, May 14, 2006.

1. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

The rifle wont be removed till we put in his powers.

2. thaile

thaile Member

scout superpowers?

So scouts are getting new powers? I know there been a lot of discussions on scout abilities, but can you tell us what will be added?

3. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

When they're actually added, we'll tell you.

4. TheGreatHegemon

TheGreatHegemon Member

So it's confirmed that the scout rifle will be removed? Will you only leave him SMGs?

5. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

No, the scout rifle will not be removed.

6. TheGreatHegemon

TheGreatHegemon Member

HURRAY for Krenzo! :)

7. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

as long as there is some sort of ranged weapon, I will be happy. Hopefully with a scope. I wouldn't object to a massive scout rifle overhaul, though.

8. palehorse864

palehorse864 Member

YAY for Krenzo!

To be honest, I think the scout rifle is definitely necessary now that people are learning to spot hiding scouts. There really is no other method of incident avoidance other than hiding or fighitng back and running.

Thanks Krenzo. It took a while to get the scout rifle to be a useful tool and I am glad we won't have anything like the 1.0 day scout rifle that was useless more or less for defense.

9. Alterscape

Alterscape Member

Does anyone like how scouting worked in Tribes 1/2? The scout would use a targeting laser to designate a location, and anyone using a heavy mortar would see a diamond in the sky indicating where to aim to hit that location from their current position. I thought it was a nice system -- it's not all that different from what we have now with artillery feedback, only you get your feedback before you fire the first shot, which is nice. I'm not sure its even worth considering, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Secondly, I agree that the scout could benefit from radar/camera build ability, maybe. If he's getting wild new Super Scout Powahs, it may not be an issue, but it might help give him something else scout-like to do..

10. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

The scout spotted HUD diamonds are supposed to coordinate with the grid you see as a grenadier in your HUD. I suppose it has to be dumbed down.

11. Jimather

Jimather Member

but then arty can pwn even more. i think the skill it takes to use atm is fine. i can hit things very accurately with it, it just takes a few ranging shots.

the delay between firing and see the results of your shots is realistic and means the other team arent receiving precise fire from shot 1. therefore giving them more of a chance to retaliate.

12. palehorse864

palehorse864 Member

The problem your having with artie isn't the scouts diamonds at all I don't believe. It's the arty that rolls up with no need for a scout in full visual range of the enemy and lobs shells at similar range to what a tank could do.

I think the diamonds are fine but the power of arty should be increased so that it fires further and the minimum angleincreased so it can't fire as low. [

13. Sebybeby

Sebybeby Member

yeh, it definatly needs a scope, and no crosshairs + V poor accuracy if you are not zoomed in./
    Slower rate of fire, and more range, or a "rifle upgrade skill", so you can get a better longer range rifle or somthing.........

14. Artemas Ward

Artemas Ward Member

The scoped rifle is fine as-is. It really is not so very powerful.

15. Jkun

Jkun Ban Hammer Manor Ruler

1-hit kill = too powerful

I can't look at it any other way.

16. AnRK

AnRK Member

couldnt the class be split into 2? (got the idea from someone correcting me when i called the scout a sniper possibly angry about this issue)

sniper - increased range, scope effect, swaying scope, drasically reduced ROF, remove all cloaking abilitys (like a few people have suggested)

scout - faster, more spying abilitys, explosives, kick arse close combat weapon (ditto)

i think splitting the 2 would end the arguement to some extent apart from the people adament to get rid of any form of long distance rifle

17. jambo

jambo Member

yeah , i think thats a great idea , sort of get commando's now

18. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

This game would not be good if they didnt have a sniper rifle. Half the point of being a scout is to pick off enemys from afar. If someone wants to go gather intel about the enemy then they already have the choice of choosing a Sub-Machine gun. I think the people that dont want the long range rifle dont know how to use one and get killed by the scout as is and are a little mad about it. The fact is that if you get picked off my a scout with a rifle then all you have to do is become a sniper for a little while and pick him off. Its not that hard. And you can already build walls preventing the sniper from picking people off inside of the base. The sniper rifle should be a one shot kill who in their right mind would buy a sniper rifle that couldent pop an enemy's head off with one shot, the whole point of a sniper rifle is to take one long accurate shot then move to not get spotted.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  19. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

You are missing the point. Scouts are not meant to be snipers, merely spotters (and possibly saboteurs in the future). You are getting confused between scouting, and sniping.

20. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

i get the point but this game needs both and why cant the scout do both. This game needs more of a sniper than a scout because pretty much anybody that can sneak around can be considered a scout.
    There is a gun in Counter Strike which is a sniper rifle and is called the "scout" there is also a real sniper rifle called "scout"....this really has nothing to do with it just thought I would bring it up.

Last edited: May 23, 2006