Sabotage entirely too powerful now

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by TheFoo, Mar 20, 2009.

1. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

Scout ain't overpowered at all... Actually, now that it's actually useful at sabotaging and sneaking behind enemy lines, it has a purpose. Until now, it has been totally unnecessary class because of the fact that it was underpowered against everything.

I don't know why you guys are complaing about it. I think it was time to get the scout able to harm the enemy team instead of their own team like before by being unhelpful.

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

All it needs is one tiny improvement ffs.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  3. Mashav

Mashav Member

Allow scouts to counter sab. They can fix sabotages(brings back the 50% doesn't heal the DoT) by sabbing a friendly sabbed building. Then sab scouts are countered by scouts with enhanced senses.
    As for outlying refs, they need to be checked on or walled in completely (a simple way to stop scouts, walls).

4. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Ok so nobody seemed to bother to reply to my points.

Mashav lover dude: Thanks for explaining the basics of the game to me, I must have completely forgotten which forum I was on. Also, who said scout is weak compared to engi? I don't recall comparing it with the engi at all.

Random dude who mentioned scouts can't be attacked by turret: I'm not sure how you missed out the part where I discussed this, it must seem obvious to me that hide crouch takes a long ass time and that a vehicle like a jeep is the only way to bypass that barrier.

If you don't intend to directly reply to any of my posts made, don't bother explaining the game to me, its a waste of your time.

5. Mashav

Mashav Member

Dizzy... I have said nothing to your comments.... you might be thinking of someone else...

6. dizzyone

yeh I forgot his name, it's the dude that was talking about you, "mashav lover dude"

7. Mashav

Mashav Member

Oh you meant "Dan (FangZandith)"... well then, my apologies

8. TheFoo

TheFoo Member

A scouts purpose should be scouting. Or some form of it. Not singlehandedly killing buildings by themselves.

No one is arguing the scout was worthless before, and still overall isn't as powerful as the others for the most part, the issue is ONE ability being overpowered. I'm all for bringing the scout up to snuff with the other classes, but doing so by simply overpowering one of it's abilities is a ridiculous way of doing it.

9. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The scout should be able to walk up to a camera and give attack orders like the commander. (Using E on the camera switches to "comm view")

10. dizzyone

It's overpowered compared to what? And in what context is it ridiculous?
    I don't really need an answer to those, I'm just pointing out that your post has nothing to add, you can't give any reasons to why it's overpowered, as you ignored all replies made against this. It's not really ridiculous, as that's just a matter of opinion and there is nothing ground breaking that would make one ability being good (or overpowered) ridiculous. Saying the scout has nothing else that makes the role useful is not an argument against sabotage either, it just means the scout is a pretty bland role (example, not taken from the current game) and it needs more work.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  11. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

bring back purple smoke. That or let any infantry class see the buildings' HP when standing next to it. It's not so bad having to repair a building and look for spys ..... I mean scouts, but it sucks with the smoke being fickly as it is with disappearing at the right times and not disappearing. with it doing significant damage, there should be significant visual contexts where you can recognize that something is sabbed, either with smoke or the ability to actually see the amount of HP a biulding has to some degree, regardless of class.

12. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

It's overpowered in small games where a scout can zip around the map, sabbing refs and raxes unimpeded and take down buildings faster than any single engineer can. In regular games it takes ages and skill and effort to get to a position where a scout can even sab to begin with, let alone stay hidden and prevent buildings from being repaired. If my team ever has any serious scout sab problems anywhere, other than isolated refineries or a rax that is being sieged, I will commit hara kiri on the spot because I will have dishonored my ancestors by failing so hard at such a simple task as going enhanced senses scout, killing the sabber then going engy and fixing any damage.

13. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Though I wouldn't mind sab damage pausing while an engineer is repairing, no need to drain the repair tool unnecessarily. Pausing, not ending, so an engineer will have to fix the building to at least 50% before moving on to another one.

14. TheFoo

TheFoo Member

In the context that other skills or actions require active use. Whether it's grenadeing, deconstructing, mortaring, building etc. I guess the only thing comparable would be building an ML turret to destroy a building and even then you can only really use one, and the turret can be destroyed. The scout ability requires a short period of use, and then nothing. While it continues to damage the structure with no active input by the scout himself. Or even that he is alive. (Not even sure if the player quitting the game would stop it).

15. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

cuz scouts are just that awesome

16. dizzyone

The action doesn't kill though, unlike things that require "constant" action. How much constant action do you think an engi built turret needs? Where a level3 of any kind can be devastating.

How many barracks do you need in a small game? Read my first post.
    A single engineer can take down buildings faster than scout sab, it's a fact and there's no point in denying. Besides, there's a ton of stuff that's "OP" in small games, like actually having a comm that can drive the CV.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  17. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It doesn't make a great deal of sense to me that one scout can require four or five engineers to counter it, a scout can sab a whole base very quickly and by the time someone notices you'll need a lot of engineers to avoid losing several buildings, and then you still have to find the damn thing and kill it before it does it again.

I did suggest that you either cut the 50% health drop, or make it so that sabotage can't kill the building, precisely because I expected this to be a problem, which it is.

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Just read my post above.

Commander must take care about the building. He can easily check all building for full health. If one building suddenly loses health or one player see purple smoke, the commander just have to send an engineer to that location and mark the scout as target.
    But you must disband from the idea, that a lonely base will stay forever.

So I guess that one engineer can handle two (or more) scouts.

20. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Come now, you need the same amount of raxes, maybe even more, raxes are about landgrabbing, not lowering spawntimes and I also mentioned refs, which can be taken down faster by scouts than by engineers as long as there are several to take down in a row, as is often the case in small games where you have a lot of isolated refs.

Look, I'm on the "keep sabbing as it is" team, but there's no need to skew the arguments. In small games sabbing is too hard to counter, no need to defend it. But small games need help anyway, like a significant boost in resource income.

Again, I'm talking about small games, with less than 5 players per team, there's no point to balancing a single ability for that when empires is typically played with 15+ players per team.